Used Truck Search Resources

NothingClever

Explorer
I also forgot to add I have some particular requirements...

SuperCab
Manual transmission
Manual transfer case
Diesel - but NOT an ULSD model
Long wheelbase
Salt-free state
No engine modifications
White, grey or silver...even red's OK, but no black
A patridge in a peartree

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
Serving or contractor?

You say not a ULSD diesel so older than 04 or do you mean no Common Rails or no computers?

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
Serving or contractor?

You say not a ULSD diesel so older than 04 or do you mean no Common Rails or no computers?

Serving.

Federal mandates for U.S. passenger auto industry implementation was on model year 2007 vehicles so an '06 should be able to burn regular diesel sold in South America (shipping destination of the truck).

Don't think I can get around computers unless I go with a much older MY.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Typically, Auto Trader is full of higher priced rigs. My dealer friend refers to it as "the book of dreams". Craigslist is going to yield the bargains, if there are any. Either "All of Craig's" or "Search Tempest" let you search a bunch of areas at the same time. You can get fairly specific on your requirements, but not as specific as autotrader. I will also put in the good word for KSL if you are able to shop the Utah (and close to Utah states; Wy, Co, Id). It is a great place to find trucks. You can get very specific on their searches. I have found a bunch of good contenders on there. There are also quite a few active forum members in the area so you might get someone to check out something for you if a fly n drive is in the works.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Craigslist. You are going to need an educated shopper locally though, craigslist is full of scams and nefarious sellers. There really isn't much place else to go, ebay and enthusiast forums would be my distant second. I am not sure how viable autotrader is anymore. The last few times I have sold a vehicle, 95% of the responses were from my CL ads, very, very few calls from autotrader. I think autotrader is going the way of the newspaper classified....

From the sounds of it, you are looking for a later model truck, just pre-06? For your requirements, I would be looking at 93-98 dodges, 01-06 dodges, and 95-02 Fords. Your requirements of a manual trans and no engine mods should leave you with a pretty small list to go through...I know, as I am currently looking for nearly the same truck right now. If I was going to cherry pick a truck to build for your SA trip, I would be looking at 97-98 dodge, or a 96-97 ford. Very simple, and durable trucks, that can take some abuse and are reasonably priced. If I was looking newer, then an 03-06 Dodge would be my choice.

ExpoMike

They can be found but like said above, CL is your best bet. I found our '97 Dodge Ram 2500, Club Cab, Long Bed 4x4, Cummins, Auto with 144,000 miles through CL. I specificly was looking for a '96/'97 Dodge in this configuration. Took me a couple months of searching CL (using SearchTempest at the time) before I found it and when I did, I was ready to jump on it. I think I had the deal worked out within a few hours of it being posted and had an airline ticket booked to fly out within 6 hours. If you are looking for a deal, you will have to be ready at any moments notice or you will miss out.

Good luck.

bftank

Explorer
ford dodge or chevy? old new, lots of miles ok? able to work on it? project or good to go? budget?

i get bored at work occasionally and don't mind helping a brother out that has protected my freedom.

NothingClever

Explorer
Thank you everybody for the great insight and advice. Up to now I've been fixated on Fords, both the '00 to '02 MY 7.3 liter models and also an '05 to '06 MY 6.0 liter model with a clean OASIS report (knowing I might still have to dump about $5k under the hood to make it bulletproof). Those searches have proven frustrating as there are very few that turn up.

So, based on feedback here, I opened my aperture and did a search for Dodge 2500s and 3500s with the fabled Cummins 5.9 power-plant.....WOWWIE!! There are TONS and TONS of these Dodges available.

Just curious if you all have some insight into why there is a drought of F250/350s and a bumper crop of 2500/3500s.

Also, I've heard the Dodge interior is poor quality....any first-hand experience there?

The cost of a primo Dodge 3500 is right around the same as a Ford 350 with the $5k of Bulletproof Diesel bits and bobs installed ($23-25k after all is said and done).

Please don't let this incite a brand-loyalty war....not my intent or desire.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and input.

Last edited:

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks for serving.....Try truckpaper.com Also, Larry Stiger in Kentucy, he get lots of fleet units. His name w/ "truck" online will get you there. Alos, if you are looking for a Ford, standard cab, 450/550 I might be able to help from a local guy that gets fleet Suburban Propane vehicals.

Jronwood

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles