Recovery Straps

ElCaminoManT

C'mon, don't bulls**t me
doing some research trying to decide on a good recovery strap. i have a connection at ORW and was looking at the trail gear straps. how does one decide which one to get? there is: 2"x20' 18,000lb cap, 2"x30' 18,000lb cap, 3"x20' 35,000lb cap and 3"x30' 35,000lb cap. i have a 6cyl grand cherokee on 31s, i was figuring to get the 3" wide as it never hurts to have the stronger strap but what about length? 20' or 30'?.....

E.J.

Explorer
I you are talking about the type of recovery strap that stretches (snatch strap) stronger isn't always better. I think the rule of thumb is to use one rated 2-2.5 times your vehicles weight, go too strong and it will act more like a tow strap.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'd go with the 30', I've been on the wrong end of a 20' strap, getting towed across an off camber section of trail, at night. I never got a look at what was coming up, all I could see was the back of the Jeep in front of me. Isolated incident, but a game changer for me (scared the crap out of me,
it was a LONG way to the bottom). The 30' can always be doubled up if you need to make it shorter, no way to make a 20' strap longer though!

One man's opinion!

ElCaminoManT

C'mon, don't bulls**t me
I you are talking about the type of recovery strap that stretches (snatch strap) stronger isn't always better. I think the rule of thumb is to use one rated 2-2.5 times your vehicles weight, go too strong and it will act more like a tow strap.

these are just a standard tow/pull strap. the snatch straps are cool and i may get one of those later but for now want to just have a standard strap in the jeep. may get one for my brother for christmas too

I'd go with the 30', I've been on the wrong end of a 20' strap, getting towed across an off camber section of trail, at night. I never got a look at what was coming up, all I could see was the back of the Jeep in front of me. Isolated incident, but a game changer for me (scared the crap out of me,
it was a LONG way to the bottom). The 30' can always be doubled up if you need to make it shorter, no way to make a 20' strap longer though!

One man's opinion!

kind of my thoughts as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online