Ford announces details of new Transit van

EMrider

Explorer
The new Transit full size van will come in two wheelbases, three interior heights, and will have three engine choices, including a diesel. Sprinter now has real competition in the USA market. No 4x4 announcement, but hope springs eternal.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/12/ford-commercial-touts-van-lineup-and-mpg.html

I think this is great news.

In addition, Quigley has announced that they will offer a 4x4 conversion on the new Transit van.

http://quigley4x4.com/NewsandEvents/NewsEventsDetail/tabid/78/anid/45/Default.aspx

One of these will likely replace my SMB in 3-4 years.

I like the diesel option, but the v6 ecoboost looks great too. It is good to have choices.

R

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice find! The most interesting part of the Quigley announcement is the line drawing that serves as background for the web page. It's an image of the solid front axle with coil springs that Quigley uses to convert E-Series vans to 4x4. The E-Series, like the Transit, comes from the factory with an independent front suspension. Does this mean that Quigley plans to give the Transit a solid front axle along with 4x4?

Quigley offers 4x4 conversions for Chevrolet Express 2500 and Nissan NV-2500 vans, too. The difference is that these vans retain their independent front suspension, and keep the standard ride height. Maybe the Quigley 4x4 conversion for the Transit will have, as an option at least, increased ground clearance.

I wonder if Chris at U-Joint Offroad has any thoughts about converting the new Transit to 4x4?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I will be shocked if it winds up with a solid axle, because it's unibody. I'm expecting IFS from Quigley.

If it has a frame I'll do it for sure!

lbarcher

Adventurer
I wonder if Ford could use an AWD set up similar to the Flex.
I know, not hard enough for the expo crowd but I would find it usefull for the travelling we do.

cwsqbm

Explorer
I know, not hard enough for the expo crowd but I would find it usefull for the travelling we do.

Ford will already be making an AWD version of the new Transit (just like they do for the current version) - for the rest of the world, not the USA.

cwsqbm

Explorer
This is the European Transit which is coming to the US, isn`t it? Then there is a 4x4 already available over here.

There's also a 4x4 Sprinter, diesel Jeep Wranglers, and all sorts of large cab-over 4x4 (and 6x6) trucks that we never get to buy new in the USA. Ford has stated that we're not getting the 4x4 version of the new Transit. If we were, there'd be no need for Quigley's conversion (which will probably just use OEM European parts if Ford lets them). To understand why Ford doesn't just sell it here, you'd have to look at certification costs and liability issues - damned by our own laws.

lrover52

Bernard
The most interesting part of the Quigley announcement is the line drawing that serves as background for the web page. It's an image of the solid front axle with coil springs that Quigley uses to convert E-Series vans to 4x4. The E-Series, like the Transit, comes from the factory with an independent front suspension. Does this mean that Quigley plans to give the Transit a solid front axle along with 4x4??

I would not bet on this.... This line drawing is there, by default, on many of their pages...
=> Even though I would love it!

I've seen the 4x4 version here in Switzerland, it's NOT an off-roader, rather added traction for snow/slippery roads.

imcolej

Hope they offer an AWD option. This article seems to think they will.

Quote: "A six-speed transmission sourced from the F-150 will send power to the rear wheels, but Ford's execs also suggested that an all-wheel drive version will be available soon."

lbarcher

Adventurer
Soon in manufacturer pre release language usually means possibly but not likely.
Kinda like the diesel Wrangler Unicorn Edition in North America.

imcolej

Not sure where I read it (maybe here), but the post was about the lack of a 4wd/AWD van option in the US being about liability and law suits. Is that what the general consensus is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles