2010 Subaru Forester- roof rack, etc?

SuperBadger

I just got a 2010 Subaru Forester, and am looking to do some upgrades to it to hopefully turn it into a light-duty adventure rig that will mostly be my daily driver.

Eventually I plan to put a roof rack on, and I am currently weighing the options between a basket and a rocket-box.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience putting a rack such as a Rhino Rack, or Baja rack on top of a forester? I got the car with Thule Aero bars installed, and so the easiest solution would probably be to put a Thule box/basket on top, which I may end up doing, but for discussion sake I would like to get some opinions. Most of my travel will be in the Oregon Cascades, forest service roads, and gravel roads of the SE Oregon high desert. I would love to be able to carry extra fuel, which makes me think a rack is better than having fuel inside of a rocket box without a good way to secure it. My overall goal though is to be able to move some of the bulkier items from inside the car when travelling.

What I'll likely be carrying on/in whatever I get when I get "out there":
Extra fuel- I was thinking Rota Pax would make a good low-profile option
Extra water (rota pax?)- Traveling in the desert of SE Oregon, there are quite a few roads that I think will be passable with this vehicle, but not much water.
Full-size spare
Skis
Shovel

I'm trying to not get too agressive about what I expect out of this vehicle, but I do hope to increase it's usability in off-road scenarios and bad weather.

Thank you in advance for advice and input.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
20120908_171910.jpg

Here's my '12. I've been very happy with the BajaRack Mule. Very sturdy and well built. I have it mounted to Thule crossbars. I actually just took it off so I can mount my ski rack.

- Andy

You could probably find a Yakima load warrior on Craig's List. I picked one up for a $100. I would not recommend heavy stuff on the roof, put your bulky light stuff in a Seal Line bag on the roof. The 3 gallon reliance water containers from REI will fit behind the front seats. Keep the heavy stuff low and centered.

reefraider

Hi there,
I had a 2002 Forester which I had a 50mm (2") lift kit installad, an aluminium sump guard, a 60% low ratio low range gear for really heavy work, and three rhino roof bars to support the Columbus mobile sleeper tent. I pulled out the back seat and made up wood furniture from plywood to duplicate the back seat configuration, with storage space for gear and an extra shelf at the rear to allow for two storage levels. As for carrying extra fuel the vehicle has a range of 600 kilometres so I didn't bother with carrying extra fuel. What you could do is make, instal a 20 litre fuel can holder which fits on your rear bumper, similsr to the ones the big 4wd vehicles have. Good luck with it all.
Regards
reefraider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior