Marine alcohol / electric cooktop

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know we have had a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of propane and diesel cooktops, but I haven't seen much discussion on alcohol cooktops, and don't recall any discussion on the combo units. So, I'm soliciting the views of anyone with experience with such units.

Seems to me:

Pros:
Combo unit could be used on 'shore power' when available. Units I've looked at are 110/220, 50/60 hz
Avoid the problem with non-standardization of propane fill connectors
Alcohol universally available (except some Muslim countries?)

Cons:
Extra precautions regarding safe transport of alcohol
Lower temperature, slower cooking

But what is it like to actually cook on one? Surely there are some mariners on this site with experience.

Is altitude or temperature an issue (like with diesel)?

Last edited:

gm13

Adventurer
Cooking with alcohol in enclosed spaces creates quite a bit of moisture, not necessarily a bad thing if venting is an option. That problematic scenario is typically more of a small boat problem on rainy days. If you're not cooking in your vehicle and can deal with slower cook times it's an option. Much lower flash point than diesel, which can be difficult to light with a match, can't imagine elevation being a problem but someone may know better. Looking at an Origo?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The biggest issue will probably be whether it cooks fast enough for you. 8-10 minutes to boil a quart of water. Otherwise there are a lot of advantages, the fact that you just cut a hole and drop the stove in being a big one.

I had a one-burner Origo. It was fine, though I was somewhat perplexed where to buy the denatured alcohol; some places had it for $10/gallon while others were $20. What the heck?

Origo is the brand you generally hear of, but Contoure is an alternate maker.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I have two Origo single burner stoves which I have used for years. They work well and are extremely simple. I got one at a yard sale and the other off craigslist - but it helps that I am in the coastal area of the Pacific NW. One is in my treehouse/cabin actually...

They do cook slow compared to a nice gas stove - but I think its similar to a small electric hot plate from my experience. I like that they are easy to store and to remove from the vehicle for cooking outside since there is not electric or gas hookup involved. Also - spilled fuel evaporates quickly and doesn't stain or leave any mess. I think they are safer than propane - which is why they are used on boats. I've also used them at high altitude without issue. I've never noticed any moisture issues - I would bet that if you are boiling water than more water vapor would come from the boiling than the stove's fuel anyways.

The difference in the cost of fuel is that the fancy "marine stove fuel" is suppose to make less smoke / blacken the bottom of the pots less. I've used mostly hardware store denatured alcohol and didn't notice any difference. I like that the fuel is easy to get and you always know how much you have left - just lift up the storage container to feel or open it up and look.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Also I like that these types of alcohol stoves (unpressurized ones) are silent. I also have a MSR expedition type multi-fuel stove (a bigger version of a backpacking stove) and it sounds like a jet taking off! You don't have to tell people when dinner is ready as they usually come back around once that stove is turned off!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Cooking with alcohol in enclosed spaces creates quite a bit of moisture, not necessarily a bad thing if venting is an option. That problematic scenario is typically more of a small boat problem on rainy days. If you're not cooking in your vehicle and can deal with slower cook times it's an option. Much lower flash point than diesel, which can be difficult to light with a match, can't imagine elevation being a problem but someone may know better. Looking at an Origo?

More water vapor than propane? Interesting...

Oringo or similar. Non-pressurized.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The biggest issue will probably be whether it cooks fast enough for you. 8-10 minutes to boil a quart of water. Otherwise there are a lot of advantages, the fact that you just cut a hole and drop the stove in being a big one.

I had a one-burner Origo. It was fine, though I was somewhat perplexed where to buy the denatured alcohol; some places had it for $10/gallon while others were $20. What the heck?

Origo is the brand you generally hear of, but Contoure is an alternate maker.

Slow I think I can deal with.

Denatured alcohol is basically alcohol with additives to make it undrinkable, right?
So, if you were in an area where denatured alcohol wasn't available, could you use vodka?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Also I like that these types of alcohol stoves (unpressurized ones) are silent. I also have a MSR expedition type multi-fuel stove (a bigger version of a backpacking stove) and it sounds like a jet taking off! You don't have to tell people when dinner is ready as they usually come back around once that stove is turned off!

Quiet is good.

I like the idea of unpressurized. Seems like a safety advantage over propane with it's bottle inspections, pressure hoses, regulators...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Thanks, all. Keep it coming.

Maybe I'll see if I can find a marine salvage/repair/upfitter on the coast, to see if I can get one cheap to play with.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Quiet is good.

I like the idea of unpressurized. Seems like a safety advantage over propane with it's bottle inspections, pressure hoses, regulators...
There's no question that the alcohol stove is a safer alternative. Unless you are running the appliance directly of a disposable cylinder, there's a lot of "best practice" stuff you do to make propane safe, including storing the propane in a vented locker isolated from the living space, which may not be easy to do.

There are benefits, though, to not having to deal with liquid fuel, and the propane pretty much cooks like your home stove. And once you have the propane system, adding space heating (and possibly water heating) become practical, too. But with the alcohol stove, you can have it installed in thirty minutes for the cost of the stove, whereas a correct propane system can take days and lots of money for the tanks, hoses, regulator, solenoid switch, connectors and maybe propane locker.

If you do want a small propane installation, however, this Seaward model

93268.jpg

http://www.suremarineservice.com/93268.aspx

is, because of it's integration, the quickest and easiest way to go.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Ebay has a number of them - both single and dual, portable and built-in. range in price from $150 to $300.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You might also check out www.swego.com which carries the Origo and another cheaper brand called CookMate (which looks to be a knock-off copy - probably made in china). Pricing is similar to the used ones on Ebay... They also carry parts (not that there is that many involved...)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
You might also check out www.swego.com which carries the Origo and another cheaper brand called CookMate (which looks to be a knock-off copy - probably made in china). Pricing is similar to the used ones on Ebay... They also carry parts (not that there is that many involved...)

Thanks for the link. They don't have any combo electric / alcohol stoves, though. Maybe just out at the time being.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne