my recovery gear, tools. plus few 'experienced' high lift jack users opinions please.

For in town. Small bag of bare minimum items always there. Big enough to pull me out but small enough to help almost anyone lightly stuck in need. Takes up very little room in rear door compartment.
2" x 30' ft pro comp snatch strap 20K m.b.s. rated
2 x 3/4" Crosby G209A screw pin anchor shackles WLL 7 ton
shake powered flashlight (batteries not included nor needed) LOL (hey it always works)
gloves soft leather
small 18" 10K b.s. strap with 2 eyes for wrapping around soccer moms axle or? on non recovery point vehicles when stuck in snowbank graders windrow or?
small (very small) folding + telescoping gerber brand shovel just big enough to clear the tires of whatever I/they are stuck into.
all that fits in a 14"x 14" x4" bag that I use for a dampner when snatching.
onto.....
"THE BIGGER but still somewhat small BAG" of goodies grabbed when going wheel'n or outta town fishing/adventure trips
2..... 3"x 6' pro comp tree straps (bridle(s) or anchors for helping out someone winching or narrow steep wyndy trail towing straps.
1..... 3"x 30' 30K lb. m.b.s. rated snatch strap
4..... 7/8" Crosby G209A screw pin anchor shackles WLL 9-1/2 ton
3..... 1" Crosby G209A screw pin anchor shackles WLL 12-1/2 ton
set of 10 std and 10 metric sockets 3/8 drive
set of 10 std and 10 metric wrenches 3/8 drive
3 ratchets 1/4" 3/8" 1/2"
2 adapters 1/4"to 3/8 & 1/2" to 3/8"
2 3/8" extensions & 1 swivel
10" long crescent spud wrench
screwdriver multi flex head with 36 bits
tire gauge in case air down is needed.
mechanix gloves
fiskars 17.5" splitting axe model X11
fiskars small forged pruners good for brush small limbs rope
gerber collapsable 10" bow saw in soft case
Pico brand Cold Weather 20' 1 AWG booster/jumper cables good to -50 degree temps (best quality cables you could find anywhere highly recommended)
few pairs of disposable rubber gloves
Gerber folding entrenching shovel (military grade)with case
shake flashlight + small mighty light clipped to outside of bag for searching in the bag in the dark.
3/8" x 50' reflective silver/black rope WLL 250Lb
all items fit inside or outside pouches of kuny 21" large mouth tool bag (except boosters that are in their own hard case)
other items carried most/all the time.
1 liter oil, new fan belt. fuses.duct tape
Scepter 10L Red mill-spec fuel jerry can (runt) and holder in case of?
Scepter 10L Black mill-spec water container and holder
lightforce handheld spotlight with exterior swivel mount. one yellow lense
no tire repair kit yet but soon.
plan for the worst pray for the best!
Have been involved in several hard off road vehicle recoveries as well as on the job equipment and heavy equipment rigging experience. I plan on setting up my 48" high lift for emergency self recoveries winching ect. have used them for various things in the past as well as chain and cable come-alongs (hate with a passion cable ones but the chain style are ok)
thinking total of **66ft of grade 100 crosby 3/8" chain divided into 2x30' and 1x6'
4-5 chain couplers
2 cradle grab hooks
2 regular grab hooks
1 sling hook
2-3 small shackles
48"x72" rubber mat for work area **
so far in between asteric items are just over 100lbs and around $500
my personal opinion is if used for winching using all chain is the best option
to get max speed distance with little to no stretch which would be certainly a PITA from winch extensions ??
trying to figure the easiest/fastest/safest way to winch with high lift jack and the items needed (I know some say buy a real winch) I want for sure mechanical get out:victory:.... not oops killed battery or alternator or winch trying. :(
Who else thinks $700 bucks for a outfitted highlift totalling 150lbs is cheap insurance for and almost certain way to keep the towtruck/wrecker from showing up.
and loose a few pounds doing it. LOL

Last edited:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Going for the jack as a winch would be my last option. The jack may not even be rated appropriatly for a serious stuck situation. But it's your truck and your money so do with it as you wish. I can guarantee you this topic will bring some strong opinions and not all of them will be telling you it's a great idea.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I too have used high lifts for recovery. It is the last weapon pulled out to use for a very good reason, once it comes out it is going to be a long night. I have a winch and a high lift both useful tools that are worth gold when you need them. If all you want carry is the high lift you should also carry snatch blocks and cable/synthetic rope to double the pull power as buried axles can exceed the jack's 7k rating. Also extra chain and anchors to hold the load as you reset the jack.

The idea and my experience is yes pulling out the high lift isn't the fastest but it is going to reliably get ya out of most any pardicament and with the right chains hooks and anchor points ect ect could really speed up resets. I personally think good driving and tires and common sense keeps you from getting stuck most times.IE don't go into that GUMBO JIMBO But I have had a few ooohhh @$#^ keep moving unexpected feelings before while being the only vehicle around:smiley_drive: nearly high centered or whatever. where a high lift is piece of mind and certainly would help most situations. I used to live in a small town several hours away from the city and 1 off highway recovery bill from the local tow truck for unprepared guys probably could have bought most of the gear I carry!

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:snorkel: Say what ??

The idea and my experience is yes pulling out the high lift isn't the fastest but it is going to reliably get ya out of most any pardicament and with the right chains hooks and anchor points ect ect could really speed up resets. I personally think good driving and tires and common sense keeps you from getting stuck most times.IE don't go into that GUMBO JIMBO But I have had a few ooohhh @$#^ keep moving unexpected feelings before nearly high centered or whatever. where a high lift is piece of mind and certainly would help most situations. I used to live in a small town several hours away from the city and 1 off highway recovery bill from the local tow truck for unprepared guys probably could have bought all the gear I carry!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

dr350jja

Observer
I thought the HiLift Jack was only good for about 5,000 lbs pulls when used for "winching" (more like 4,660 to be exact)?????????????? It is rated for 7,000 lbs when used for lifting. Is this not correct???

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
A set of MaxTrax and a real shovel would be an excellent addition. I always carry a Hi Lift, but honestly I use it for almost everything ELSE then recovery usually. Good to have in the arsenal but I like having a plethora of things to choose from when in a bind.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
Just buy a winch. More capability and you can carry less crap inside your vehicle.

Attachments

• 41ZzIu-xHVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41ZzIu-xHVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 596

bfdiesel

Explorer
I thought the HiLift Jack was only good for about 5,000 lbs pulls when used for "winching" (more like 4,660 to be exact)?????????????? It is rated for 7,000 lbs when used for lifting. Is this not correct???

All that is said on hi lift's page is 7000 lbs tested capacity. I found the user manual and the top clevis is only rated to 5000 lbs so that is where the 5000 lbs winch limit comes from also the top clevis is only rated for 750 lbs if using the jack as a clamp.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Years ago I went for a solo trail ride on Thanksgiving morning. I hit a new construction area right on the trail. Right in the middle I sank into a bottomless mud pit consisting of soupy pea gravel. A sapling about 130 feet away was my only hope. It took exactly every inch of winch cable, tow straps and chain I had to reach the sapling. The pull was 40' just to get the wheels on firm ground. I would have missed turkey if all I had was a high lift and I doubt I would have had 130' of line. A winch is mandatory if you go on anything not considered a maintained dirt road. Find one on Craigslist or even a Harbor freight winch if money is an obstacle. I've even found winch mounts and winch bumpers used. Junkyards even have them. I have a high lift in both my rigs and as others have said it's a last resort or used when high centered only.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I see you don't have a Pull Pal on the list.
Any solo expeditions? Throw one on the roof rack while your at it...

lovetoski

Observer
I would move jumper cables into the "carry all the time" category. Lots of people end up with a dead battery for a variety of reasons. I've killed mine too once or twice. After a spare tire, I'd put jumper cables as the second most important item to carry in a vehicle.

I pretty much agree with all of the comments above about the hi-lift being a last resort winch. It's a great jack, esp if you are high centered. If you really don't want to get a real winch, then try the more power puller...
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz