Side-mount Jerry can holders

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Are you going to design any of these for the JK?

I have been thinking about doing a side-mount for the JK, but it's a bit awkward - the issue with side-mount jerry cans on the JK is that there isn't as much room between the back of the front flare and the door, so cans would have to be mounted higher. This drawing isn't precisely to scale, but it shows the problem:

SideJerry_zpsc0zy5hj4.jpg

BTW don't be fooled by the recent Jeep Africa concept, which does have side mount Jerry cans - if you look closely, they've modified the cans - they cut an angle in the front of the can to match the angle of the flare. Also, if you get to see it in person, check out how the can is mounted - they put bolts through the bottom of the mount into the bottom of the can. I wonder if the bolt holes leak? It's a concept car anyway, they don't need too much fuel :).

1-Jeep-Wrangler-Africa-Concept-Easter-Safari-Moab-3-31-15.jpg

Unlike the JK, the TJ has plenty of room between the flare and the door:

CaliforniaPass5_zpsdf373e00.jpg

The reason I haven't built a prototype JK side-mount jerry can holder yet is that I'm not sure if people would want the can mounted that high. What do people think? Do you want a can mounted that high?

The spare-mount jerry can holder does work with the JK BTW, with no modifications to the can :):

JKJerrySpare_zpsd6c51d6d.jpg

JDaPP

Adventurer
Could the mount be angled? I personally wouldn't mind it being high but I can't speak for others. Already have mounts on the back tire, but I use the rampage storage cans more than I do fuel so I can always use more storage. Thanks for the feedback!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Could the mount be angled? I personally wouldn't mind it being high but I can't speak for others. Already have mounts on the back tire, but I use the rampage storage cans more than I do fuel so I can always use more storage. Thanks for the feedback!
It could, but I'm not sure that changes the basic problem too much...

SideJerryAngled_zpsdsht5mvd.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
How about if you recess the mount and can into the front flare... So like the Africa, but cut the flare instead of the can. ??

On the flip side, mounting it high would get it out of harms way for those worried about a side collision. Better anyway, so long as you get hit by a car and not a truck... :)

C

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How about if you recess the mount and can into the front flare... So like the Africa, but cut the flare instead of the can. ??

The issue with that is the people would either have to cut their flares (lots of people wouldn't want to do that), or you'd have to offer a custom set of flares to go with the jerry can carrier. Being that there are so many flare choices on the market, I fear that many people would object to having to use a specific custom set of flares just to run the jerry cans.

But cutting the flares might be a reasonable option if an insert to "reshape" the flare to the shape of the can were provided, I've been thinking about that a bit.

On the flip side, mounting it high would get it out of harms way for those worried about a side collision. Better anyway, so long as you get hit by a car and not a truck... :)

According to all of the crash statistics I've seen, the most common type of crash is the rear-end. Seems to me having the cans anywhere on the side might be safer than having them in the rear like most current carriers.

Jurfie

Adventurer
You didn't respond to my idea...that either means you think I'm crazy, or I've got you thinking about it. ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You didn't respond to my idea...that either means you think I'm crazy, or I've got you thinking about it. ;)
Actually I think we posted at the same time so I didn't see your post until just now.

I think there are two challenges to overcome with that idea:

1. Engineering - mounting something as heavy as a full jerry can plus bracketry (about 50 lbs. total) on only one side (using the hinge holes), it will probably prove difficult to contain motion of the other side of the assembly; it may have a tendency to rattle against the door.

2. Fear - will people want a full can of flammable gas on the other side of their door?

jeff

Jurfie

Adventurer
Actually I think we posted at the same time so I didn't see your post until just now.

I'm just giving you a hard time. ;)

I think there are two challenges to overcome with that idea:

1. Engineering - mounting something as heavy as a full jerry can plus bracketry (about 50 lbs. total) on only one side (using the hinge holes), it will probably prove difficult to contain motion of the other side of the assembly; it may have a tendency to rattle against the door.

Hmm...could be. I might take a look at it in more detail this summer when I have some time. Maybe you could make a beefier hinge like your tailgate hinges. :)

2. Fear - will people want a full can of flammable gas on the other side of their door?

Ehhh...is it really much different than just in front of their door? I don't think so...would I DD with it there? Probably not, but for offroad exploring at slower speeds: sure.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I think on the JK a great solution would be the daystar cans. The could be rotated just a hair towards the headlights so the leading edge followed the contour of the fender flare. They are 2.5 gallon and can be stacked if you are so inclined.

Gas-Can.jpg

Jakes01234

Explorer
Jeff
With a 100 lb wheel and tire on the exogate would you trust a jerry can hanging off that aswell?
I'm trying to see if I can carry 20 gallons outside the vehicle without a roof rack. 10 is easy, 15 seems doable with the spare tire mount, 20??? I'm thinking without some type of rack over the spare I won't be able to.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff
With a 100 lb wheel and tire on the exogate would you trust a jerry can hanging off that aswell?
I'm trying to see if I can carry 20 gallons outside the vehicle without a roof rack. 10 is easy, 15 seems doable with the spare tire mount, 20??? I'm thinking without some type of rack over the spare I won't be able to.

RiverCrossing1_zps05161601.jpg

Shown in the photo above, here's what I regularly run on the trail:

32" wheel/tire 65 lbs.
Jerry Can/Holder/5-gallons gas 50 lbs.
HiLift Jack plus holder 40 lbs.
Safari Cab upper barn door 15 lbs.

Total: 170 lbs.

Of course there's an Exogate supporting all this :).

Oh, almost forgot, I've got a few pounds on the inside too... I've got a StoreGate mounted on the inside of the tailgate, usually holding my recovery strap, two quarts of oil and a few other random items:

SafariStoregate3_zps6928a00b.jpg

Being the designer of the Exogate, I have a lot of confidence in it. Here's the 225-lb. gorilla test:

TailgateTest1.jpg

Jakes01234

Explorer
I have the Exogate and love it so far (had it a week).
I have the bumps touching the tire nicely and I'm thinking another 50 pounds won't be a killer. I now may need the 3rd jerry can mount.

I was hoping you had a rack or something in the works that attaches to the exogate and sits on top of the spare or real close to it. So then it could hold 2 cans or a cooler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior