Ricoh GX100 vs Leica D-lux3 vs Canon G9

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I am about to puchase a new P&S to come in off the bench for those times when the DSLR is just too much heft to haul around. I'm looking at Ricoh GX100 the Leica D-lux3 and Canon G9. I know there has been a few comments made about both the Leica and G9, but does anyone have experience with both? How about the Ricoh GX100? I've read rave reviews about all of them but haven't really found much in the way of side by side comparisons. Any thoughts with regards to comparison would be appreciated.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Do you have a subscription to Reid-reviews? Sean has done some testing and really seems to like the Ricoh. It is probably where I am going.

Scott Brady

Founder
I think they will all do a good job. Do they all shoot RAW? The Leica does. Not sure about the others.

I do dig my little Leica...

detailbarn

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I think they will all do a good job. Do they all shoot RAW? The Leica does. Not sure about the others.

I do dig my little Leica...

second vote for the Leica , little package great photo's

Photog

Explorer
They are all fairly new, and there has not been enough time to publish comparison shooting with them.

All three save in RAW format, and have image stabilization.

THey are all P&S size. The Leica is the lightest, and the Canon is twice the weight of the Leica. Either the G9 is built with a more robust body, or Canon just installs extra ballast weights.:)

The Canon and Richo can use an external flash. The Canon can make use of most of the functions on their top-of-the-line flash unit.

The Canon has a Leica-look to it. This is cool, because Leica cameras are cool.

The Richo can produce a wider angle image than the other two cameras.
The Leica and Canon have 4X optical to Richo's 3X optical lens.

I can't find much good data on the Richo or Leica; but I do know you can get a lens adapter for the Canon G9, that attaches to the body. When this is in place, it will protect the delicate lens mechanism, while in use. You can also use a polarizer on that adapter, as it sports a 58mm filter thread at the end.

Leica $600
Richo $550
Canon $440

Is there something about the Richo or Leica that makes them worth an extra $100-$150?? Are they water tight, or dust proof? These would be good things.

Nikon also has a camera that fits into this group also. The Nikon P5100 or P50. But; they dont save in RAW format.:(

Does this help to make a informed decision?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
You might consider searching through the Leica users digital camera forum http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/ . This has been discussed a fair amount there recently and there are some good threads. If I could point you to just one I would. I don't think there is really a clear favorite there, just a lot of discussion on which horses are best for various courses.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the comments everyone. Raw is important to me which is partly why I like these three.

Photog, again thanks. That reiterates much of the info I've read. Do you have personal experience with any, two, or all?

bigreen505, no I don't have a subscription to Reid-reviews, I looked through that link you provided however. There is some really good info there and to my surprise most of it was actually less biased than I thought it was going to be, coming from a Leica forum of course.

Scott or detailbarn, do you have any samples of night or dimly lit shots. I know that no point and shoot is going to be great when set to a numerically higher ISO, but in a couple of the reviews that I read there was mention of excessive noise with Leica at higher ISO levels. This camera will probably be used a lot for functions like dinner parties etc, I just don't want the photos to turn out to be overly grainy if used without flash. To be honest, that's the only thing that is really holding me back from going with the Leica, had I not seen that mentioned in a few reviews, I think my choice would be easier. I really dig the Leica stuff.

Photog

Explorer
I have the Canon G9. We have owned the G3, G5 and now the G9. We avoided the G7 because it had no RAW format. We also own the Canon 1D Mk II, and a Nikon D200. These are for our professional work.

If you think you might need the use of a flash, avoid those without the hot shoe. It isn't in the way, when you don't need it. But you are SOL if you need it, and it isn't there.

I think Leica cameras are good quality and have a high "COOL" factor; but if it won't do the job I need it to do; COOL ain't enough.

I have heard about some type of light-leaking into the G9, and Canon having a recall on them. I have not had a problem with mine; but I am going to look into it tomorrow.

Noise levels on mine are not much of a problem until you get to ISO 800. And then it isn't anything like previous cameras. It does go to ISO 1600. The one thing that I really like about the G9, is the return to knobs on top of the camera body. Just like a real camera. The Leica has one too.

P&S digital cameras take extra care to produce high quality images. A tripod is a huge help. Using the timer instead of the finger, while the camera is on the tripod. Remote control is nice (G9 omits this feature). I like the standard camera strap slots on the G9. Most P&S cameras have only a wrist strap.

Choose the camera that meets your needs. Ignore the name on the wrapper and the price. If it does not do what you want, or it is difficult to use, you will not enjoy using it. Then it will sit on the desk. $500 paper weight.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
The G9 looks to be a very nice camera, though starting to border on "not so compact".

We bought the Leica because it is a true compact, like slip it in your shirt pocket small, and still shoots great photos in RAW. Several shots from that camera have been published.

None of these cameras are a replacement for a true DSLR, but I use the Leica as a back-up camera, and for taking on trips or to events where weight is a concern.

If you look at the picture in the new Extreme Outback Products ad, that was shot with the leica.

Again, if it is going to be your only camera, the G9 might be a better choice because of increased focal range, but if you want something really small, that shoots great images, none (yet) are going to beat the little Leica IMO.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I had a chance to play with the D-Lux 3 and the G9 yesterday afternoon.

Here is my quick take. Both are built well but the G9 is a tank, dare I say it's built better then my DSLR. I also found the G9 to be more intuitive when changing options. I really didn't like the D-lux 3 when it came time to change options. The down side of the G9 is its size. Its footprint is about the same as the D-lux 3 but its twice as thick, so it's not really a pocket camera. It's still plenty small, just compact in the traditional sense of compact, not like the new ultra compacts.

No view finder on the D-lux kinda sucks but to be fair the G9's isn't all that great, and I don't think I'd use it all that often.

At low ISO settings both took great pictures. Over 200 though the D-lux got disappointingly noisy. The G9's pictures were really clean up to ISO 400 before noise started to creep in.

At the end of the day I really wanted to like the Leica more, it looks better, it's a little smaller, a true pocket camera, plus it has that Leica cool factor, but the G9 just worked better for me. The G9 is small enough to meet my needs as a compact, so I guess I've eliminated the D-lux 3 from my list of options. Function over form wins this time.

Support and service for the Ricoh is non-existent in my area so that's a real deal breaker for me.

Scott Brady

Founder
Lost Canadian said:
Function over form wins this time.

As it should. The D9 looks sweet.

For me, the compact dimensions won out, as the Leica is a back-up and descrete travel camera champion.

Fun discussion :)

Photog

Explorer
Trevor,
Glad you were able to come to a conclusion on this. Your hands on assesment was very useful info. This was a good thread to spark a little comparison and investigation.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles