02 Taco Rear End Failure..Need Help

So here is a short breakdown of what happened:

Thursday (12/13) @ roughly 3:30pm:

I was driving on I-75N (just north of Lexington, KY) going about 70mph and all of a sudden it felt like the left rear tire blew out. After gaining back control, which was quite difficult and nerve racking, I was able to pull off into the emergency lane and further inspect the damage. I immediately noticed that not only was the tire missing but the wheel as well as the axle hub housing cover were also missing (see first picture). In fact, the axle was even on fire and leaking oil (I was able to put the fire out using a towel). I then located the tire, wheel, and axle hub housing down the road and noticed that they were all still attached to one another. I also noticed that part of the axle shaft was still attached to the wheel and it seemed it had somehow separated or completely sheared altogether (see second picture). I initially had the truck towed to Evans Auto Care in Cincinnati as it was a shop that was highly recommended.

Friday (12/14):

After getting the truck on a lift, multiple mechanics then inspected the truck and concluded that the failure occurred in the pressed bearings in the axle assembly (see last picture) causing the axle to essentially jam and overheat (the reason for the shearing). I then explained to the mechanics that I had my axle seals replaced on 10/29/2012 by a Toyota dealership in Anderson, SC. The mechanics stated that it is very likely that the mechanic(s) who did the axle seal work either damaged the bearings when pressing the bearings or over tightened the collar that keeps the bearings in place (later learned that when the axle seals are replaced, the bearings are in fact not even touched by the mechanics). To be sure that this was in fact the case, I had the truck towed to Joseph's Toyota in Cincinnati for a second opinion, and in this case--a Toyota mechanic's opinion.

Saturday (12/15):

The Toyota mechanics were able to inspect the truck and ultimately came to the same conclusion as the previous mechanics at Evan's Auto Care. I then contacted the Toyota dealership in Anderson and gave them a heads up on what was going on. They stated that the service manager did not work on Saturdays but will contact me first thing Monday.

Monday (12/17):

The Toyota dealership here in Cincinnati called me this morning and clarified a few items for me. They first stated that when the axle seals are replaced, the pressed bearings do not have to be removed, which is basically the opposite of what they stated before. But they did state that the seals could have something to do with the axle shearing off but were not completely sure. Secondly, the mechanics now put most of the blame on the gradual wear and tear of the bearings (even though I never heard any odd noise or felt anything out of normal). I explained that it is in fact quite odd that gradual wear and tear on this bearings would lead to such a catastrophe and they agreed.

The dealership in Anderson (who originally worked on the axle seals) called and stated they would send an adjuster up to inspect the truck either Monday or Tuesday.

So I have a few questions for you experts out there.

1) Do you agree with these mechanics?

2) Is it possible the work done on the axle seals could have effected the presses bearings in any way especially considering the work was done just over a month ago?

3) I have heard about many rear differential problems with the 05' Tacomas but has anyone heard of similar problems with the 1st gen Tacoma rear differentials?

4) I know there are a lot of good used differentials out there (frame recall = a bunch of scrapped Tacomas) but how much should I expect to pay for one?

5) Any useful information will be greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Did the dealer specify if they replaced the inner or outer seal? The inner is in fact replaceable without touching the bearing, the outer is not, they must pull the bearing. So why were they replacing seals in the first place? Leaking at the backing plate? If so they they 100% should have replaced the outer seal. Do you have your invoice from the first repair? What part numbers were used? 90310-50006? 90313-54001?

Cruiseroutfit:

The part number used was the 90310-50006 and they described it as "REPLACE BOTH REAR AXLE SEALS". (See Picture Below)

There was gear oil leaking from the left rear axle hub and the reason for the replacement of the axle seals. They replace both sides when doing the repair just FYI.

And it is my understanding that the inner seal is the only seal that technically gets replaced. Is this true?

Axle Seals.JPG

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

The 90310-50006 is in fact the inner seal so I can't imagine how they could have damaged the bearing or caused it to seize but its hard to say. Is the bearing 100% seized? I imagine the bearing could seize and would in turn cause an axle failure. I would have recommended the customer replace both seals (per side) and inspect the bearing while it was apart.

If you look closely at the last picture you can see the bearings I am referring to. The clumps of metal on the upper right hand side are actually bearings that obviously melted and seized.

And from what the mechanic has told me, there is really only an inner seal and a dust shield? Otherwise I would have just replaced both seals.

cruiseroutfit

No, there is an outer seal as well, part# 90313-54001

42311A = SEAL, OIL (FOR REAR AXLE SHAFT) = Actual Part# 90310-50006
42423 = RETAINER, REAR AXLE BEARING, INNER
42311C = BEARING (FOR REAR AXLE SHAFT
42311E = SEAL, OIL (FOR REAR AXLE SHAFT OUTER) = Actual Part# 90310-54001

285983006.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member