Best welder for scratch-built trailer project?

dnorrell

Adventurer
Hello friends,

I've been tooling about on the trailer forum for a while - a long while - and I've been inspired to spend some time building something of my own. The catch is that, while I'm quite handy, I have almost zero experience with welding. I would like to see what kind of welders you all are using for your home builds. Would something like a Hobart Handler 140 be sufficient for such a project? I would like to get something soon that I can start practicing with before I set out on "the build."

I really look forward to your input and suggestions.

Cheers,
Adam

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That welder (Hobart Handler 140), or one of the other major brand offerings of similar size, would be more than capable of building a trailer.

Flashole

Adventurer
Lincoln, Miller or Hobart mig welder with gas. I personally went with a used 220v Lincoln that I found on Craigs list. It's more than enough to weld together a trailer. I suspect that any of the good 110v versions would also be more than adequate. I do suggest getting the gas as opposed the the flux core wire. It's just soooooo much cleaner.

You know what they say........The difference between a bad weld and a good weld is a good grinder. You'll pick it up quick and by the end the build, your welds will look pretty good. Just have a lot of grinding disks on hand. That's what I do.:sombrero:

dnorrell

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, sounds like I am on the right track. I didn't want to end up with something that would leave me wanting for more, and I thought the Hobart 140 (or similar) would be perfect.

bat

Explorer
I have the Hobart 140 and did use argon/mix. While getting gas at Airgas the counter asked what I was building I said nothing yet but asked him about the potential of this machine. He said if I was to use straight C02 it would get me better penetration on the welds for thicker material (1/4") but maybe a little more cleanup. I ordered straight C02 and never looked back and as far as cleanup I did not see much difference.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
A 140 is more than enough for what you would need. More importantly though, find someone who can show you the basics. Technique, preparation, machine settings, what to look for...It's all just as if not more important than the machine.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Good input. Yeah, I've had a bit of a tutorial before, but it has been ages and I could do with a refresher. Youtube videos will only take me so far ;)

Flashole

Adventurer
A 140 is more than enough for what you would need. More importantly though, find someone who can show you the basics. Technique, preparation, machine settings, what to look for...It's all just as if not more important than the machine.

I'm certainly no welder, but I've found that getting the welder dialed in for the metal you are using is the most important thing. Once you do that, the welds start looking pretty good. The sound of crackling bacon is the sound you are looking for.

Village Idiot
I'm just gonna throw this out there. I don't own a big name brand like Miller or Lincoln. All I will ever touch is a Everlast welder.

Look at the I-MIG 200: http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Power-I-MIG-200-375-pd.html

I got mine for $750 shipped. And it showed up in 4 days.

I also have a TIG welder and a plasma cutter from them. My TIG is a PowerTIG 200DX and my Plasma is a Power Plasma 60. Best bang for the buck. Just check it out.

bat

Explorer
Practice on welding 2 pieces at 90 degrees in the corner just go slow and steady. After you look at your pretty weld job take a sledge hammer and lay the piece on the ground and beat the crap out of it. This is how I learned about the weld penetration or what I thought was good weld.

dnorrell

Adventurer
225, thanks for the link! I will definitely give them a look.

bat, that's a great idea for practice. I will beat the snot out of it!

UK4x4, thank you for the recommendation and the link. Going there now to check out your build.

Flashole

Adventurer
If you have a smart phone, download the craigs list app. It will notify you as soon as an ad is posted that meets your search criteria. That's how I bought my Mig welder, acetylene torch, M416, jeep and damn near every aftermarket part on my jeep. The key is to be the first to respond and show up with cash in hand. I paid $350 for a nearly new Lincoln 220v mig welder. It was still in the box with all the paperwork and extras that originally came with it. I always keep about 10 searches running and respond to the ones that are good deals. My goal is always to either buy cheap enough to immediately sell it if I need to, or to pick up good quality used stuff for the cost of lower end new stuff. Just a suggestion.

ETA....Christmas time is a good time to find stuff on Craigs list. Lots of folks selling their expensive toys they rarely use in order to finance Christmas for the kids. Now, if I could just find a good deal on a plasma cutter. Sooner or later I will:coffee:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94