Best welder for scratch-built trailer project?

dnorrell

Adventurer
That's a great, but potentially dangerous idea! I usually let the CL fairies guide me to the right deals. I am wondering if it is mere chance that the same day xmas bonus hits I find a used AEV rear bumper/tire carrier posted today on my local CL. And my Jeep needs this. Sigh.

lbarcher

Adventurer
How about taking a welding course at a local trade school?
Sure, it'll cost some but the practice/critique time is a good thing if you've not done a bunch of welding.
At worst you'll learn to weld "like a farmer" and get some good advice on equipment.

dnorrell

Adventurer
I've looked into that, and probably will take some kind of class next year. I just want to make sure I get the right equipment at home that I can practice with, but will be adequate for future projects :)

highlandercj-7

Explorer
A 140A is enough for a trailer build. However, I am buying a Hobart 190, it has the ability to run a spool gun so you can also weld aluminum. When they first bought the 190 out last year they were offering it with a spool gun for $800.00. I think it's around $650-$700 with out it. I won't buy another 110v MIG. If you want to buy one to last you a life time, get a Lincoln, Miller or Hobart (owned by Miller).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz