Barbour styled jacket for less $$$ ????

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for Barbour styled jackets/outerwear. I'd like a waxed cotton jacket that looks good and performs OK... but without spending half a house payment on one.

barbourbond9_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
You're thinking about this all wrong. My first Barbour is now 22 years old, and I'm just about to send it in for reproofing, after which it should be good for another decade. How much more economical can you get? I don't have a single Gore-Tex garment that lasted that long before losing its waterproofness.

Get the original; you won't be sorry.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
I've been wearing a Barbour Border for about twenty years. Enough to see it go in and out of fashion several times. I have other coats, sure, but none that I reach for a fraction as often as the Barbour and none that are remotely close in durability.

X2 on Jonathan's comments above -- go with the original and you'll never look back.

Don

StromHawk60

Observer
And my Beaufort is 15-17 years old with two trips to New England Reproofers for really good waxing beyond my patience level and fantastic repair work. I love mine.

Couldn't help but notice on the pic that the fine brass snaps have been replaced with buttons...

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Just remember a waxed jacket - ......has an oily wax coating surprisingly

Although re-waxable

Funnily enough on hot days it likes impregnating everything else within 3 ft with oily marks.

Whilst great on a submarine or stored in the tack room of a riding stable in the cairngorms

A cali jeep left in the sun will cause the interior to look like a chip fat fryer exploded within the truck when left in contact with the forementioned Barbour

Obviously it can be worked arround

ie when its taken off you can turn the whole thing inside out for storage unless you put it in a fridge:)

Filson also do waxed tin cloth jackets

Thread count is important too - the cheaper you buy the larger the natural holes you get

From my childhood they were fashionable at the stables and the country pub.................probably still are

But these days with Gortex and its derivatives- function over style for me !

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Funnily enough on hot days it likes impregnating everything else within 3 ft with oily marks.

Hmm . . . I live in Arizona and have never had this problem with either my Barbour Bedale or Beaufort. The only thing they do when left in the sun is give off a very attractive waxed-cotton smell. Certainly no residue.

If I'm heading out into really technical weather, like cross-country skiing on the North Rim, yes, I take Gore-Tex. But for almost anything less, I find the Barbour more comfortable and, yes, evocative. And I have stacks of Gore-Tex jackets from various reviews.

The only two Gore-Tex jackets I own that are older than the Bedale have both delaminated at the seams, and are worthless.

Certainly nothing wrong with Filson either . . .

targa88

Explorer
I would echo Jonathan's comments.
Been wearing oilskin for years. Don't remember having any issues with "leaks"

That being good care and maintenance (re-proofing) they will last a long time.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Been wearing oilskin for years. Don't remember having any issues with "leaks"

Hung at home no issues - but in the car- I did have issues

Alberta - isnt that the cold end of town ?

Mind you the last oily coat I bought was probably over 28 years ago:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles