Whitney 2013

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I did Whitney twice. Both times outside of the lottery window. I probably wouldn't recognize Whitney if it was not completely covered in snow. Same goes with Baldy, San Gorgonio, San Jacinto as I've always done those when they're covered in snow as my favorite part is getting to glissade down a large portion of the route. If you can't get the lottery for Mt Whitney, do Mt Shasta! Personally, I loved the views from Mt Shasta more than Mt Whitney.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
What an awesome goal you have set for yourself Dave !!!!

Keep at it and let us know how your climb goes !!!

Frank

SoCal_80

Explorer
A little update. Since i last posted this thread i've dropped about 15 more pounds, a total of around 30-35 lbs since August. All while adding lean muscle. Im at 219 right now and my goal is 185 and 11% body fat.

Anyhow, the lottery opened up Feb 1st at midnight.. but i received a tip from a veteran Whitney hiker. The website that you make the lottery application on is based out the East coast, so i got i got my application in a few hours before midnight here on the West coast. I applied for 15 spots in the lottery system for July and over flowed a bit into the first week of August. Some make call is nuts, or some may call it easier because you pack less, but i chose "day hike" out and back.

The results will be announced March 23. That's my birthday so it would be a great present to get the permit.

Anyhow, full steam ahead and time to get these feet out on trails.

The "day hike" is not too bad. You will have fun!

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I Day hiked whitney via mountaineers route last sept. I just showed up the day before and got my permit no problem. As long as you are well prepared and start around 4-5am the day hike is not so bad. Either way good luck. My main advise is train for long hikes. Do shorter hikes more often when you can but at least a few times a month do some long 10 hr hikes. In my opinion its not the altitude or the elevation gain that gets people, its people body giving out after 7hr on a 13hr long hike.

Good luck!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. Unfortunately, we did not get in on the lottery. However, i checked the site and found 2 spots and snatched them up. Only drawback is that they aren't in the days, or even the months we preferred. September 26th, is the date. And incidently the same date that my father passed away, so maybe it's a sign.

In the recent weeks/months since i've updated this thread, i've dropped even more weight and packed on even more muscle. Im down to 214 and have added substancial more muscle along with more endurance. Along with cycling, swimming, running every week, i just started working in rowing. My first row was 12,000 meters (7 miles) at 1h 4 mins. Also, mountain biked a local trail that is 12 miles long back to back one night after work in just over 2hours, which was grueling and many don't accomplish. My legs are getting stronger every week.

Also, since i just found out a few weeks ago that we are going for sure i've made two hikes. The first was a San G test run with the girls. We didn't plan to summit, but rather test our legs and our lungs. We planned ahead of time to go to the 1/3 way mark and see how we felt. It was a great test hike and im totally confident i could summit with no problem. As it was on this day, we climbed from 5900 ft to 7500 ft, 8 mile round trip and it took us all 5 hours.

sang.jpg

That was last weekend. This weekend i wanted more of a challenge, but didn't want to scare away Yosh. So i figured a mild climb but much longer. So we hiked to the highest peak in Orange County (not saying much). Santiago Peak at 5689 ft. I figured we'd head up the most popular route, which was via Holy Jim trail and Trabuco Canyon. The entire route if you include mileage from the parking area, up through Upper Holy Jim is 17 miles round trip. It climbs 4000 feet total and it's pretty gradual, except for the upper section of trail. It took us 9 hours 9 mins and we cruised the whole way while stopping for lunch and one break. I was very proud of Yosh and she makes a great partner.

jim.jpg

So, all in all im absolutely progressing. Eating healthy and eating frequently. Im constantly hungry and try to never eat a large meal always keeping my metabalism running full steam ahead. I work out 4-6 days a week right now and trying to hike once a week or once every two weeks depending upon our schedule. I need to go pick up some new uber comfy trek boots to start breaking in and some hiking poles would be great to take pressure off my knees.

Next up will probably be San G again to the summit, San Jacinto and i plan on hitting up Baldy a few times as well. Yosh wants to do some easy hikes that aren't 10 hour days and i can understand that. As it looks, I have plenty of time to accomplish the position i need to be in by September.

Last edited:

barlowrs

Explorer
Not sure when you are planning Whitney, but conditiosn are nice up there right now, I just ran up real quick last weekend. you only have one more weekend before quotas go into effect though.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah, although it may be really warm at the base near Lone Pine. Either way, we most likely won't have to deal with thunder storms, at least it will cut down on the probability of that happening.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I'll let you know as soon as i get the schedule in place. My hiking partner for the trip and training has been busy lately.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Way to get on it and get in shape too. If you have the time I recommend doing a day hike on the Whitney Trail at some point prior to your trip date. Get to the ranger station in the morning, get in line for the drawing and you can almost be certain to get a permit for that day or the next. I'll be up there around the same time in September to do one of the east face routes with my pastor who I promised to drag his *** up the face this year.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Way to get on it and get in shape too. If you have the time I recommend doing a day hike on the Whitney Trail at some point prior to your trip date. Get to the ranger station in the morning, get in line for the drawing and you can almost be certain to get a permit for that day or the next. I'll be up there around the same time in September to do one of the east face routes with my pastor who I promised to drag his *** up the face this year.

That's a great idea, i never really thought of before. Thanks for the tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz