Whitney 2013

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I found out last week that my brother had an extra spot on his permit. I'm going up this weekend! Portal Camp Thursday, Trail Camp Friday, Summit and hike all the way back Saturday and sleep at the Portal again. I'm excited!

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I found out last week that my brother had an extra spot on his permit. I'm going up this weekend! Portal Camp Thursday, Trail Camp Friday, Summit and hike all the way back Saturday and sleep at the Portal again. I'm excited!

Awesome!

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I'm back! Here's my tale:
Two weeks ago, I got the notice that I could climb Mt. Whitney with my brother and two friends. That's short notice, so I hit the gym extra hard with climbing and cardio (cycling, etc). I was already going to the gym 5 days a week.
I drove out to meet my brother and two friends in Lone Pine. I had to make a quick stop in LA, so I arrived later than the others. I drove up to the Portal, naturally thinking that's where camp would be, but alas, no dice. The only campsite they could secure after getting their dates was in Lone Pine Campground at the base of Whitney. Strike one. They already had camp set up, so when I arrived, we enjoyed some Mammoth brews that I got Lone Pine while dousing our feet creek side in the 85 degree weather. We grilled up some carne asada and had tacos.

Early to bed, but it was HOT at night. Up at 630 and packed - we ate at the Portal Store and 4 of us shared the giant pancake, some eggs and bacon with coffee. We hit the trail at about 8:30am. My pack weighed in at 26 pounds. How some people pack 40lbs for a summer overnight, I don't know! This included all gear and bear can. We started the trek and shortly came upon Lone Pine Lake. Like the interwebz says, hike down to it. It's BARELY a quarter mile...if that. You can see it from the sign and it's a good break. Continuing on, we passed the first campsite (Outpost Camp) and kept going because it would be crazy to stay here...although maybe not - a short gear haul, some altitude, and day pack the rest. Totally do-able. We took breaks along the way any time one person wanted to stop. As we crested the trail in to Trail Camp, I tapped out my 2L camelback. It turns out, that wasn't really enough, so drink a lot as there is PLENTY of water along the trail to refill up to TC. We arrived around 2:30 or 3:30pm...I didn't bring a phone or watch. We simply lounged, refilled water (I drank 5 more liters before bed). We crashed around 8pm, but nobody slept well. I was up every hour to pee (remember those 5 extra liters?) and the others couldn't get comfortable. It was warm and my brother slept under the stars.

We awoke at 4:30am and hit the trail by 5:30 after refilling our water and packing only food, rain coat and fleece for the day trek summit. We hit the switchbacks as the sun rose and it was nice and cool. I think an even earlier start would actually be better, BUT we didn't need our headlamps which is a plus. This time I drank too much water. I didn't feel good as we got an hour from the summit, and I had to WAG (wag bag) since camp. I should have done it in camp and ditched the discomfort it caused. After wagging off the trail, I immediately felt better and stopped drinking water. The body can only process so much anyways. The pace picked up since I felt better and we summited at 10am (right on schedule). We stayed for about 30 minutes for pictures, sitting and recovering. The trek down was FAST. We still took breaks, but immediately began to feel better as we descended. HIKING POLES ARE DEFINITELY WORTH THE EXPENSE. We got to TC at 1pm - ahead of schedule. We refilled our water, ate a quick lunch, packed the tents and hit the trail. The goal was trailhead by 8pm with a slow pace and we were already ahead. Taking lots of breaks, I realized that my new hiking boots were indeed too short, so by the trailhead, I was hurting. The hiking poles saved my hips and left knee (broken hip last April), but I didn't switch sides with the pole so my right knee hurt. 17 miles on this day, but the guys waited for me at the trail end so we "crossed the finish" together around 6:30pm (ahead of schedule). My pack was 22 pounds after eating and drinking most of the water. We got stickers and a cold Coke which was a definite pick-me-up! Drove to camp, cracked a beer, rinsed off in the creek and got pizza in Lone Pine. We all felt awesome!

Take aways:
1. Drink water generously, but not too much. Peeing is the best indicator (color and frequency).
2. We packed too much food. Nobody was hungry at altitude, but we forced it down anyways and still had leftover Cliff bars, Gu, and some fruit (ie: extra weight). Apples and mangoes are heavy :(
3. Pack light - I feel I did a good job of this, but too much food - heavy food.
4. Take breaks. Even if just for a minute or two. It's enough to let the blood flow and recover and lower the heart rate. Our fitness wasn't the enemy, it was the altitude.

That's it! I'll do it again! What a great feeling!

Desert Dan

Explorer
White Mtn. Peak is a great hike too!

14,252 feet high with a round trip of about 14 miles from the locked gate below the Barcroft station.

Acclimate, acclimate and hydrate!

barlowrs

Explorer
White Mtn. Peak is a great hike too!

14,252 feet high with a round trip of about 14 miles from the locked gate below the Barcroft station.

Acclimate, acclimate and hydrate!

Also the only peak open to bikes. Only place you can ride a mt bike up at 14K.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Awesome report Garrett!

Well, this past weekend was another training hike. San G, the tallest peak in So-Cal. Many people train for Whitney here. I was surprised to find it pretty easy actually. I mean, don't get me wrong.. i definitely felt it, but it wasn't as hard as everyone made it sound.

17+ miles, 11 hours and 5,000+ft elevation gain. One day butt kicker, which is what we are doing for Whitney.

2013-07-27 16.28.48.jpg2013-07-27 15.19.34.jpg2013-07-27 15.18.11.jpg2013-07-27 13.40.55.jpg2013-07-27 13.35.43.jpg2013-07-27 12.28.17.jpg

I feel confident i'll do just fine on Whitney after this last trip. The elevation sickness i can't do much about except stay hydrated and listen to my body. As a side note, we live at 5,700 ft now so i think that will give me an extra edge for acclimation.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Just a quick update. I've completed a few local hikes on the mountain here. Mostly all were between 7-12 miles in distance and moderately strenuous. Some of which i went full bore to a pre-determined destination as fast as i could.

I even got Yoshi to go with a few times again. She's a trooper and has taken a fancy to going with me now. Love it!
2013-08-11 13.05.55.jpg

View attachment 185667

View attachment 185666

2013-08-11 15.12.09.jpg

View attachment 185664

2013-08-11 12.38.24.jpg

2013-08-11 13.05.41.jpg

2013-08-11 12.27.06.jpg

2013-08-11 12.22.59.jpg

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
About 2 weeks ago, i tripped carrying Dixie down the stairs at 5am in the dark. I didn't have a way to stop by fall so i ended up twisting my ankle. Since then, i've rested the ankle, iced, heat and meds. I was worried that Whitney would be in jeopardy since it's only days away.
2013-09-11 09.50.14.jpg

1186230_4457281088967_1745677899_n.jpg

Last night was my first test mini-hike up the canyon cross-country with no trail through rocks. It felt great.
2013-09-12 17.40.13.jpg

2013-09-12 17.10.33.jpg

Tomorrow i plan on making one last training hike to the top of San G (highest peak in socal). This time i'll take a longer route up Momyer trail and down Vivian Creek. It should put me out at about 26 miles or so. And yes, in one day.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a great adventure. I did the day hike to the summit and can still remember the crackle of electrical static inside my hood when I reached the hut.

Best of luck!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Over prepared is the name of the game for me. Completed a 24-26 mile hike on Saturday in 12.20 hours averaging 2 mph. I also summited the tallest peak in SoCal for the second time, taking the long way up at 13+ miles climbing.

I think im ready for Whitney more than ever, hopefully the altitude doesn't get me.

2013-09-14 11.48.03.jpg
2013-09-14 12.48.12.jpg
2013-09-14 05.59.42.jpg
2013-09-14 13.19.54.jpg
2013-09-14 12.32.23.jpg
2013-09-14 13.55.21.jpg

With 10 days left before Whitney, i won't hike anymore until then. Rest is the name of the game now.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Well, no matter how much you train and how well you think you can hike... you can't beat Mother Nature.

I have bad news. We did not Summit!! We made it roundtrip 17 miles to 12,600 feet.

Within 2.5 miles of the top!!!!!!

We had a freak storm the only day on the mtn in September roll in!. 14 degrees on the summit, 45 mph winds, Camel back froze, nalgene bottle froze, trekking poles wouldn't work, food hard as a rock!

We were warm still, our legs felt great, we were doing fine, but black Ice along cliffs, needs spiked boots to pass, trail disappearing so we decided to call it before we slipped off and were killed.. Every group except one called it quits and returned to safety.

Not worth it... Whitney will be there next year. The smart hikers always win!

See attached photo.. it was nuts. Like climbing the Manihorn at Disneyland

7b27.jpg

Full trip report to follow!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles