Fall Colors Adventure Weekend @ Shawnee NF

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
The original idea behind this little get together was to explore the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois. I ended up heading down a day early and also checking out Turkey Bay OHV in Land Between the Lakes. We did a little camping, wheeling, hiking and geocaching this weekend. It turned out to be a perfect weekend to be outside. Anyways, here's some pictures.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Land Between the Lakes: Turkey Bay OHV (11-2-07)

IMG_0158.JPG

Kentucky Lake
IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Fountain Bluff: Shawnee National Forest (11-3-07)

Checked out an area called Fountain Bluff, right along the Mississippi River. Nothing very difficult, but some good scenery (especially for Illinois).

Our meeting spot was an interesting establishment
IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

stuck already
IMG_0210.JPG

followed these powerlines for a short time
IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

we had to move a number of trees out of our way, as these trails are not travelled too regularly
IMG_0230.JPG

we even found a few rocks to access a small beach next to the Mississippi
IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
After leaving Fountain Bluff, a few of us headed over to check out Inspiration Point.

Baja across the levee
IMG_0342.JPG

The bluff straight ahead…….not a sight usually seen in Illinois
IMG_0345.JPG

Views from Inspiration Point

this one taken by Amanda
IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
After checking out Inspiration Point, we then headed over to the Little Grand Canyon to do a little hiking. Here's a few pictures from the canyon.

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
On Sunday, Amanda and I headed down to Cairo, Illinois to go to Illinois’ most Southern point…..right at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. There’s a nice park located right there.

IMG_0392.JPG

Here’s a picture from the top of the lookout tower they built there. There was also a sun dial and some plaques about the area.
IMG_0400.JPG

Going by
IMG_0403.JPG

Here you can see the ripples in the water where the two rivers meet. It’s amazing how fast they were both moving.
IMG_0408.JPG

right at the tip
IMG_0421.JPG

When we left here, we took the backroads back to Carbondale though Shawnee again before heading home.
IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

c_mack9

Adventurer
I live in Paducah KY, its' between LBL and Shawnee. LBL is great for wheelin, and shawnee is great for hiking. There's lots to explore by foot in Shawnee.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I wondered about the comment "can't afford to drive out west every weekend", knowing that you live here on the Western Slope. But then I noticed the date 2007.

I lived in Paducah then later Grand Rivers so know the area very well. Your photos brought back some good memories. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440701349.431002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94