Solar camping lights?

Wilbur

Adventurer
I'm planning to go camping in Jan using a pop-up but won't really have any power source. These will used under awning.

What are my options? I'm trying to keep them at reasonable price but with atleast a decent light output too.

Thanks for the help.

outsidecurtisp

Observer
Solar Lights

Not sure if this will work for you but I saw this idea "Trailer Life Magazine" Take a few Malibu style yard lights. Make sure they are solar. Put each one into a coffee can fill with either Cement, sand, or some local rocks. They can sit out all day to charge up and at night you will have the perfect camp spot. When you pack up you can simply dump them out and pack the boxes back up. Hope this helps.

Wilbur

Adventurer
Not sure if this will work for you but I saw this idea "Trailer Life Magazine" Take a few Malibu style yard lights. Make sure they are solar. Put each one into a coffee can fill with either Cement, sand, or some local rocks. They can sit out all day to charge up and at night you will have the perfect camp spot. When you pack up you can simply dump them out and pack the boxes back up. Hope this helps.

This might be easy cheap option! I was thinking of things like that but on lines of Christmas lights which don't put out a ton of light.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Solar yard lights do a great job for lighting in the "potty privy" and around the camp for some unobtrusive ground lighting. You can even take them inside for some "candle light" without the flame.

DSCN1276.JPG

You can just see one in that picture (to the right above the chair) We put them at the awning poles and stake out lines to prevent late night incidents.

DSCN1192.JPG

These used to be about $20 a set of eight. I see they are now $30 We leave them out along our driveway and grab four or five when we leave to camp.

We also use the NoKero N200 lights. Two hang on the awning during the day and come inside at night. Work well for a card game , cooking or a bed time story. They hang on the porch at home during the off time. We forgot them our last trip. Still kinda new to us and not fully implemented into the routine yet.

We use Goal Zero solar panels, batteries and their "Light A Life" lights. Very happy with them, although pricey. The nice thing about these being independent of our vehicle is that they are more mobile/versatile, and I've recently used them inside our house during two local power blackouts.

We've been using the first generation Luminaid solar lights for camping and they have performed flawlessly for us. Recently my wife picked up a pair of the second generation lights that have a better battery and a better LED and I have to admit that we appreciate all of the improvements.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Nokero. I love mine.... Bought 7 of the 200's for the awning on my 5th wheel.

http://store.nokero.com/Solar-Lights-s/1826.htm

I second the Nokero.
Great light output and solar recharged by their own integrated panel. Two brightnesses and a hanging bail.
I have the N220 and use it on low at night hanging from the awning as a night light after dark so you can see around camp when coming for more margaritas from the fire.

Not the cheapest but a great product.

Darrell

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Got these Harbor Freight solar stakes on a whim while shopping with my daughter. I'm proud to say we've gotten 2+ years of happy use from them. There have been few items that have brought the same ratio of toddler-glee to dollars.

Usually a pair of them get tie-wrapped to the awning legs or staked into the dirt next to the legs to prevent accidents. But they always get deployed, even when not "needed".

dstock

Explorer
I second the Nokero.
Great light output and solar recharged by their own integrated panel. Two brightnesses and a hanging bail.
I have the N220 and use it on low at night hanging from the awning as a night light after dark so you can see around camp when coming for more margaritas from the fire.

Not the cheapest but a great product.

Darrell

I'll third these, well worth it. We use one in the tent, in the back of the jeep, over our table when the lantern is too much. Amazing. One of my favorite purchases.

jimny

Observer
i have a little one and don't work properly, bud a friend make a system whit a small solar panel,baterry of 5ah and a regulator, using a good led he illuminate all the camping spot :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior