What would be a decent "starter" set up for a beginner

sburns6

Look into Temple Fork Outfitters -TFO. By far the best bang for your buck as far as rods go. They are great quality rods at a lower cost. On cabela's in the bargain cave online you can often pair them with one of their house reels (also decent) for right around 150. I have owned them in 3, 5 and 8 weights fished Trout all over Idaho, Montana, Utah and Wyoming with them and now am in the south fishing redfish, bass and crappie with them. Great lifetime warranty on them so if you do end up getting a nicer rod on down the road they make great back ups. ...My other recommendation would be to get 4 piece rods. Makes taking them on adventures that much easier.

Jevy

Adventurer
well I know this post is a few months old but I haven't bought anything yet. I'm thinking that I will mostly be using it for bream, bass, and crappie. I'm probably going to wait another month or so. I have a Sportsmans Warehouse, Basspro, and an Academy is supposedly going to be opening soon. There's a Gander Mountain about an hour and a half away. If I go in there and ask to try a few of them out will they look at me like I'm nuts? :) I'm not too sure where the closest Cabelas is.

onetraveller

Adventurer
Don't buy anything yet. Flyfishing for panfish doesn't require expensive gear and can be a lot of fun. Especially when they are on the beds. They get pretty aggressive.

Find a local guide or two and invest in a couple of trips to learn about casting technique, gear selection, fly selection, etc. Then you can decide if you like the sport and you can ease into it.

Fly fishing is like any other hobby, quality gear costs. If you are going to stay with it, the quality gear is worth the investment. But you have to decide if it is for you first.

Mike

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Idk people here are talking all about casting and rod action but in my opinion when your first starting out you have no idea what the action is supposed to feel like. When I started i wanted a backpacking rod so I waited for a cabela's sale and bought a combo kit for $150. Rod/reel/line/case. My advice would be just figure out what you plan on fishing and the size of the fish your going for and just get a good reviewed cabela combo kit for $100-150. learn the loops and how it all works then worry about the fine tuning down the road. It wont be a waste because cabela makes decent rods and you can always use it to teach friends how to fly fish.

And the best advice for learning is just practice..practice..practice. I go to the park and just work on my cast (no leader or fly's during practice) when you get better bring objects to aim for and see if you can hit the target. I know many people that buy a setup and go to the water expecting to catch fish. Fly Fishing is an artwork and will take time but is worth it.

Ramjet

Explorer
Idk people here are talking all about casting and rod action but in my opinion when your first starting out you have no idea what the action is supposed to feel like. When I started i wanted a backpacking rod so I waited for a cabela's sale and bought a combo kit for $150. Rod/reel/line/case. My advice would be just figure out what you plan on fishing and the size of the fish your going for and just get a good reviewed cabela combo kit for $100-150. learn the loops and how it all works then worry about the fine tuning down the road. It wont be a waste because cabela makes decent rods and you can always use it to teach friends how to fly fish.

And the best advice for learning is just practice..practice..practice. I go to the park and just work on my cast (no leader or fly's during practice) when you get better bring objects to aim for and see if you can hit the target. I know many people that buy a setup and go to the water expecting to catch fish. Fly Fishing is an artwork and will take time but is worth it.

X2 on that. Just got into fly fishing and got free lessons. My teacher, Stephen Woodcock, laughed at me and said, "Jason, just get your butt to the park and practice. Then after that, practice some more." Best advice yet.

Good advice on casting. Even Tiger has a swing coach. I would put a leader and tie on a piece of yarn though, turning over a fly and accuracy are way more important than slinging for distance.

I was holding back on this but I can't help it. What ever you do don't cheap out. If your not that sure, find a guide or take a class, invest a little time to decide. Don't do fly fishing half assed. It's an art and not for everyone. Nothing worse than seeing some snagger with his 50 buck pos standing in prime water because he watched a river runs through it (read the book first btw).

Another thing I'll say about cheap box store crap. When I go to my fly shop and talk to the OWNER or 2 of the guys that work for him that call me by my first name. I get good sound advice every time I ask. Try that with Walmart.

Here's some more info that might help. Fly rods are designed to cast fly line and rods are designed for that. Bigger rod=bigger flys. I regularly fish a 3 weight on the west branch and land 20+ inch fish. My heaviest rod is a 7 weight switch that I land 20 lb steelhead on. Get the right rod for what your going to be into. Some rods are very specialized (tenkara) and not very flexible. Some are good all round rods, 4-5 weight 9 and 10 footers. Bigger 6-8 weights are for big bugs and heavy tippets. 9 and above generally are for salmon and salt.

I have a $700 sage esn 3 weight that I can hook set like a bass master on 6x tippet and still land a 22 inch brown. Try that on a sci angler combo.

I realize I'm ranting here but my point is this. Don't do something in a way that you may not like because you were taught wrong or had the wrong equipment for the situation. Your son too. Get him the best teacher and he will love it for life. You wouldn't go on the trail unprepared would you? I don't fly fish under gunned either.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Wow DreamingOFExpeditions the OWNER of a FISHING STORE calls you by your FIRST name! If we ever meet I would love to get a PICTURE of with YOU.

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Jevy,
As a guide I always ask my clients what they can afford, just like building your Expo rig we all have our own budget.
The big benefit on a well known brand is the warranty, I have had clients step on, sit on, fall on, slam a door on a rod and have had them fixed or replaced by the rod manufacturer. Many big name Rod company's have entry level set ups that carry the same warranty, I myself love Winston rods but I own many brands from sage,Ross,tfo,orvis,redington,echo just to name a few and what I can tell ya is they all have a few damn good rods and they all carry good warranties. Stay away from wally world set ups!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

steelheadbum

Adventurer
Jevy
Pm me I can get ya many brand name set ups at guide price new rod/reel/ case for under 100.00 just to get ya going
Steelheadbum
yty6yder.jpg

uqy2ysu6.jpg

ze4asu3u.jpg

a7udybap.jpg

myve4e2e.jpg

uderusan.jpg

Just to get the blood pumping....
Steelheadbum
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AndrewP

Explorer
well I know this post is a few months old but I haven't bought anything yet. I'm thinking that I will mostly be using it for bream, bass, and crappie. I'm probably going to wait another month or so. I have a Sportsmans Warehouse, Basspro, and an Academy is supposedly going to be opening soon. There's a Gander Mountain about an hour and a half away. If I go in there and ask to try a few of them out will they look at me like I'm nuts? :) I'm not too sure where the closest Cabelas is.

Jevy-Don't know if you're still following this thread but....

While you don't need to spend $1000 on a set up, a $50 set-up is only going to frustrate you. Just a decent fly line alone will be more than $50. For your first fly rod and what you describe as target species-get a 5wt rod. It's a good all-around small fish rod. Given that you drive a Jeep, you will be much happier with a 4 piece rod that will break down fairly small for transport.

A Cabelas combo would be a reasonable place to start.

Something like this:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...nknown;cat104793480;cat104721480;cat105571980

would get you on the water fishing for $169. I'd look at the 905-4 version. You can spend a pile of money on fly gear, (just like Expedition gear) but you don't need to, to catch fish and have fun.

One other thing that's important. You need to catch fish right away or you'll give up on fly fishing. So go with a friend who knows how to fly fish your local waters. Better yet, hire a guide, but that too, gets expensive fast. Take a few lessons at your local fly shop. Having some basic ability to cast is helpful before you hit the stream.

Eventually you'll learn to rationalize why spending $400 on a fly reel is not unreasonable, just like the rest of us. Good luck.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I'm not a pro or a guide, but I do fairly well with my fly rod, and IMVHO, you don't have to spend a fortune on the equipment to get started. With some research, careful shopping or even some vary generous offers mentioned in this thread, you can be well set up and fishing. Fly fishing was around long before $1000.00 set up's and they caught fish. Don't spend $50, but a couple hundred or less will do it!

Determine where your going to fish, small creek, river, lake, etc., and what size fish, then buy the appropriate size set up. Buy some goodies and maybe a knot book, visit some fly shops near where you fish to stock up on some fly's and info, take a lesson if you can, then have some fun.

I am teaching my 13 year old daughter to fly fish now to get ready for a few Sierra trips soon. I took a cheap reel, an old rod and line and we went to the park. She has spent maybe an hour on the grass and her line control is so much better. Time and attitude makes a good fly fisherman, equipment helps , but is secondary.

Just fish'n is fun, catching is a bonus, but I love to fish...

Have fun

Doug

98dango

Expedition Leader
So I know with fishing as with trucks you get what you pay for. So hear is the deal my daughter is a very avid Fisher woman. Her step dad is a professional ocean fishermen and takes hers at least 1 time a week even during crab season. I grew up ocean fishing but I now live in Montana. No ocean a whole new world. Now everyone says fly fishing is where it's at hear. Great no one I run with dose it.

So last year I took my daughter she of course out fished everyone. I am just now learning where to go but I need to get a set up I have about $200 I can invest in this. My 2 camping partners are also wanting to jump in with me and we all have about the same money.

We mostly spend time in west Montana in smaller rivers or streams.

Shop the bins. I just saw a z-axis 5 weight for 200 bucks. That's a rediculous rod for that price. Also, look on eBay/craigslist. By someone else's 700 dollar rod because they upgraded. You'll be buying another rod soon enough if you like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne