What would be a decent "starter" set up for a beginner

J

JWP58

Im another newb that would like to get "into" fly fishing. Would a reddington comb be a decent place to start? (I see it being suggested on the first page)

I have a buddy that has a drift boat and is a fly nut....guess I should ask him. Maybe he's got some old stuff I could get on the cheap..

DeadMoney44

Contrary to some posts, fly-fishing is for all of us; it's not that complex. You do not have to find the perfect rod/reel/line combo to get started, you first have to find out if you like it. What I would recommend, is finding a cheap setup that gets you out on the water. As you become more passionate about the hobby, different setups will become more important to you.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Contrary to some posts, fly-fishing is for all of us; it's not that complex. You do not have to find the perfect rod/reel/line combo to get started, you first have to find out if you like it. What I would recommend, is finding a cheap setup that gets you out on the water. As you become more passionate about the hobby, different setups will become more important to you.

Well said!

Yoternation87

I really like my Redington but my cabelas three-forks rod is a great little rod. Granted that one is a 3wt but it's a great backpacking rod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles