JK 2.8 CRD

dieseltoys

Check it out...

2009 Jeep Wrangler CRD 2.8 (panther engine) with 6-speed manual. Has 12,000 miles on it :)

IMG_1366.jpg
IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg
IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg
IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg
IMG_1373.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1375.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
VERY nice. I'll be watching for sure.

Dave from AEV did this swap on his Personal JK, said it was a royal pain in the *** and required swapping absolutely everything, right down to the power window wires.

-Dan

dieseltoys

VERY nice. I'll be watching for sure.

Dave from AEV did this swap on his Personal JK, said it was a royal pain in the *** and required swapping absolutely everything, right down to the power window wires.

-Dan

Nah, just swap everything over. Much easier than any other swap we do by a long shot. Engine is a VM Motori 2.8 liter common rail VNT that is an updated version of the engine we got in the Liberty in '05-'06.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Nah, just swap everything over. Much easier than any other swap we do by a long shot.

I always thought it would be relatively simple too, though Dave said otherwise.

I can't wait to see how it goes.

What country did you get the engine and trans from?
Do you mind saying how much you paid?

I have family and friends in Australia and I've thought about asking them to keep an eye out for one.. or possibly even a 3.0 from the GC. We'll see what happens here in the next 12 months.

-Dan

dieseltoys

I always thought it would be relatively simple too, though Dave said otherwise.

I can't wait to see how it goes.

What country did you get the engine and trans from?
Do you mind saying how much you paid?

I have family and friends in Australia and I've thought about asking them to keep an eye out for one.. or possibly even a 3.0 from the GC. We'll see what happens here in the next 12 months.

-Dan

On 99% of the stuff, you dont remove it as this is body stuff and nothing to do with powertrain. On the connections that are engine-specific, the wire colors are the same with the same number of pins, but the connectors are different. So, you just have to remove some pins, put them in the correct place, and it all just works. We were thinking of posting a youtube video where we start the thing on the pallet. Jeep swaps are gravy comparatively and we would love to do more of them. The problem is that even in AU they're rare at auction. We typically have $12-14k in them with shipping and customs etc.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
On 99% of the stuff, you dont remove it as this is body stuff and nothing to do with powertrain. On the connections that are engine-specific, the wire colors are the same with the same number of pins, but the connectors are different. So, you just have to remove some pins, put them in the correct place, and it all just works. We were thinking of posting a youtube video where we start the thing on the pallet. Jeep swaps are gravy comparatively and we would love to do more of them. The problem is that even in AU they're rare at auction. We typically have $12-14k in them with shipping and customs etc.

Thanks for the info.

Will you guys try a "new" GC 3.0 -> JK conversion anytime soon?

I like the idea of complete parts availability for that engine.

-Dan

dieseltoys

Thanks for the info.

Will you guys try a "new" GC 3.0 -> JK conversion anytime soon?

I like the idea of complete parts availability for that engine.

-Dan

Sure, give us a call when you're ready. The 2.8 has excellent parts availability here in the USA. The main parts differences from the liberty diesel engines are the turbo and injectors.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Is this a factory start/stop combo? I think that was one of the reasons why the AEV swap was so complex...

I thought the newest version of the 2.8 used in Europe was a different engine than the older 2.8 in the liberty? The newest generation has a DPF, start/stop in manual application, the new 5spd auto, etc.

dieseltoys

Is this a factory start/stop combo? I think that was one of the reasons why the AEV swap was so complex...

I thought the newest version of the 2.8 used in Europe was a different engine than the older 2.8 in the liberty? The newest generation has a DPF, start/stop in manual application, the new 5spd auto, etc.

Yes, this is a factory Wrangler (not liberty) engine so it's basically bolt-on. We may end up selling this one as we have 14 months of Toyota swaps ahead of it.

dieseltoys

We have just had a large Toyota booking so it looks like we will need to sell this Jeep package. $18,500 shipped to lower 48 or $18,000 local pickup. For all those who say "if Jeep ever released a diesel wrangler..." here's your chance. A factory JK overseas is a $50,000 vehicle. Interested parties inquire.

dieseltoys

Sure glad we stick mainly with Toyotas :) It's really quite remarkable how many "tire kickers" we've seen with this thing. You'd think that all the people griping about the lack of a factory JK diesel option for all these years would be beating our doors down...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior