03 E350 glow plug relay

arz

Adventurer
curse this very mild winter...

I don't drive my van much. Parked it a couple weeks ago and it started up and drove fine.

Now... no starty. Just put in new batteries, had the block heater plugged in over night. Crank and crank and crank. No starty.

I'm thinking glow plug relay. There are two relays on the passenger side above the valve cover- is the GPR the front or rear one? And does anyone have a child with 2-3 elbows per arm I can borrow?

I really want this running tomorrow morning so we can drive it to grandma's for Christmas and not take two cars.

scoutkid

Van Builder
If you had it plugged in over night and it doesn't start - it isn't the glow plugs. It sure sounds more like when my ICP sensor went out (injector pressure control sensor). They are about $230 from Ford.

Is your starter spinning the motor fast? Or does it seem labored? I just replaced my starter and it made all the difference in the world (as it has on all my 7.3's..)

scoutkid

Van Builder
Pull the plug off the ICP (front drivers side bank) and see if it is oily, if so, might be a good sign the ICP is bad.

arz

Adventurer
starter is spinning it as normal. just about to head out with a meter to check the plug relay and apparently the ICP (damn juggalos).

need to find a pic of the icp... no clue what it looks like. googling...

scoutkid

Van Builder
Its a pain - in the valley bolted into the front left (drivers) head. Maybe 4 - 6" aft. You have to pull out the airbox (if you are like me, you now have like 2 screws left in it...) then you should be able to see it.

OR. you can go in from the back, and truthfully I think I did end up replacing mine.

attachment.php

scoutkid

Van Builder
OR it could be the CPS (cam position sensor) but whenever one of those has gone out on me, it has been while driving, the motor just turns off and won't start back up. I'd say it would be unusual that you drove it, parked it, and couldn't get it to start again.

HOWEVER, if you parked it, it got cold, the oil is thick, and your ICP was going bad, that could have pushed it over the edge (at least in my head).

Also may want to check for low oil level, low oil level and result in low oil pressure. Low oil pressure results in no starting.

arz

Adventurer
Well, we're not taking it to Grandmas tomorrow.

not the glow plug relay - it gets 10.4V when cranking.

Could be the ICP. haven't gotten to it. could be low oil level/pressure. it seems to be always dripping... but apparently I managed to bust off the dipstick handle when changing the filter. :crap:

and when I went to check the voltage at the GPR, I heard fluid dripping... and saw a cascade of diesel from somewhere up front behind the alternator. :angry:

I think one of the two fleet management guys will be interested in some side work (fleet of ford ambulances) and would appreciate some Christmas money. :crap:

and where are all the unhappy smileys???

arz

Adventurer
Its a pain - in the valley bolted into the front left (drivers) head. Maybe 4 - 6" aft. You have to pull out the airbox (if you are like me, you now have like 2 screws left in it...) then you should be able to see it.

OR. you can go in from the back, and truthfully I think I did end up replacing mine.

attachment.php

I'm looking at the driver side bank from the front, correct?

arz

Adventurer
thnking about it, the fuel is probably due to me pulling on the fuel/water drain. I'm going to guess that it not closing all the way will make the fuel spill, right?

scoutkid

Van Builder
thnking about it, the fuel is probably due to me pulling on the fuel/water drain. I'm going to guess that it not closing all the way will make the fuel spill, right?

1. Yes, you probably opened the drain and need to close it.

2. It is likely leaking anyhow, watch my thread this weekend for the fuel bowl rebuild i just did.

ICP isn't bad at all to get to, like i said, try and pull the doghouse, pop off the plug and see if its wet. If you have a scangauge check and see if it is throwing any codes.

arz

Adventurer
doghouse is already pulled. I can't get the intake tube off the turbo as I've never done it and I can see where someone previous started to rip it.

I'll try to get in there and close the valve in a bit. kids got home from school and want to "help"

arz

Adventurer
1. Yes, you probably opened the drain and need to close it.

2. It is likely leaking anyhow, watch my thread this weekend for the fuel bowl rebuild i just did.

ICP isn't bad at all to get to, like i said, try and pull the doghouse, pop off the plug and see if its wet. If you have a scangauge check and see if it is throwing any codes.

Looking forward to your writeup. We're taking 2 cars to Grandmas for Christmas. I'll be ordering parts and tackling this as soon as we get back.

scoutkid

Van Builder
I'm looking at the driver side bank from the front, correct?

No, that picture is looking back-to-front from the doghouse.

doghouse is already pulled. I can't get the intake tube off the turbo as I've never done it and I can see where someone previous started to rip it.

I'll try to get in there and close the valve in a bit. kids got home from school and want to "help"

There are 1 or 2 places that the intake "hose" is actually bolted down with a few 8mm bolts. Yours looks torn because someone probably just thought it was only clamped onto the turbo inlet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles