Jeep Auto Tranny Coolers

I've received a few questions on how I have my auxillary coolers plumbed in so I snapped a couple of quick phone pix this morning for the folks asking.

For reference, there is a framerail mounted billitt style cooler that I bought from Currie, plumbed in immediately off the transmission. This acts as a precooler and the fluid is then routed to a B&M fan driven cooler mounted under the tub on the drivers side above the rear axle. This cooler is driven by a thermo switch set at 160*. I have the switch routed through a relay due to the draw from the fan as I did not think the 20amp fuse harness provided with the kit was sufficient. I am no longer using my radiator at all for the transmission.

Feel free to take a look and ask questions.

Steve Curren

Explorer
I see that the B&M looks like it's mounted against the tub, does that permit enough air flow to cool and do you have a temperature gauge?
Thanks,
Steve

Its actually mounted in part (bridged) to a structural flange that makes up part of the tub and by doing so, there is a good 3/4" of an inch between the cooler and the tub itself which allows for airflow. I'm not sure if the LJ has the same structure so you might want to crawl around for a few minutes under your rig to check it out.

Steve Curren

Explorer
Same structure, looks like it will fit right over the emergency brake. Only drawback is the length from a connection to the stock hoses.

Yea....I was originally running some stock hose that I had modified to the Currie pre-cooler but when I went to the B&M I bit the bullet and went to the Aeroquip which is wildly expensive as are the a/n fittings. One thing that I would change is to try and find a in-line check valve to prevent torque convertor drain. Its not a huge issue but I do have to run my Jeep in neutral for a few seconds if it has been sitting in order for the pump to get the fluid disbursed.

Hose and fittings were sourced from a local vendor and no, I do not have a guage installed. I have the guage but have not gotten around to putting it in as I want to mount the sensor in the pan. I'm waiting until I perform my next transmission service to pull the pan and braze in a bung.

Paradiddle

Steve,

I have this same cooler in the same spot. Mine is spaced down with some metal tube about 1.5" down from the tub - it's still plenty high and in no danger of getting smashed.

I do not have a precooler - this is my only cooler. I have a gauge installed and can tell you that in the hottest days here and the hardest wheelling I've never had it go over 185 degrees. I also have a Mopar deep pan like Robert. I run 4.88s and 35s to give you an indication of the RPMs but I do not tow.

Great cooler, and a great spot to tuck it on a TJ. I convered my TJ from a stick so I never had the stock cooler in the radiator.

Jeff

Steve Curren

Explorer
Jeff,
Thanks for the info, that seals it I am off to the radiator shop Tuesday to see if they will install it. I have a B&M arriving tomorrow via the Brown Truck. Was it too difficult in installing the gauge, Robert mentioned brazing in a bung? Maybe I can get the shop to install that too as I just don't want to ruin this cooler and gauge. A deep pan is how much deeper than stock, I have a Tera-Flex belly up and there is not much room between the pan and the skid.
Thanks to you and Robert for all your help,
Steve

Lawrence

Adventurer
Steve Curren said:
Was it too difficult in installing the gauge... Maybe I can get the shop to install that too as I just don't want to ruin this cooler and gauge.
Steve,

This is the gauge I will be installing. I couldn't find one I liked, so I drew it up and I had Westach do it for me. It will have 2 needles measuring the IN and OUT temperatures and the sensors will be placed in line. I should have it in about 3 weeks and Westach will now carry this gauge in their catalog. I can give you the part # if you are interested, although it is not cheap. I hope this helps.
Westach.JPG

Lawrence

Adventurer
According to my invoice, the part # is 2DC3-155. I am also getting two temperature senders (part #399S1) 1/8 npt - 5/16" tip - 4' lead - 1,750 ohms @100F. As I said they are a bit on the spendy side, the gauge is $102.20 and the senders are $27.20 each. I could have gone a cheaper route, but I wanted to be able to monitor both the tranny temperature and the cooler's efficiency. And it is still less expensive than a new tranny :D

They didn't have one in their catalog so it is a new part number. If you are interested in it, ask for Pete Cornelius and tell him you want the same gauge as mine, just to make sure the part number is the correct one. He is a great guy and will answer any questions you may have. The website is www.westach.com. Here is how their dual gauges look like (they can also make it with a white dial)
2DC3.gif

Edit: As far as the deep pan, I believe you have an 05 Unlimited with the 42RLE, so your only option is to make your own as there is no deep pan available that I know of.

Last edited:
Steve Curren said:
A deep pan is how much deeper than stock, I have a Tera-Flex belly up and there is not much room between the pan and the skid.
Steve
y

I ran a Mopar deep pan and a Tera belly up skid many years ago and there were no fitment issues as far as those 2 parts were concerned. I understand Tera has a newer design out so your results may vary if you have the newer style. If you have the old style 3/16ths belly up, you'll have no problems with the deep pan...or at least nothing a little grinder action with a flapper disk won't take care of.

As for the B&M....you will want to continue to use the radiator tranny cooler if you are using it, or else you will want to add another cooler into your mix for towing your AT. Even with both coolers pictured, I overheated my tranny after a particularly long and steep climb earlier this summer while towing my trailer in the eastern sierras. By the time I'm done....I'll probably have another small stacked plate cooler plumbed in for the tranny just to be on the safe side.

Paradiddle

Steve,

I had my bung welded (is that legal?) at a shop. The actual gauge installation was very easy - just a hole saw and some patience.

Mine gauge is located directly in front of the t-case shifter on a TJ - good visability and I didn't have to cut into any dash parts.

Robert's feedback regarding towing is going to carry more weight then mine as I've never towed. If you don't plan on towing this cooler should be more then enough - especially if coupled with the extra capacity from the deep pan and all the lines you'll run. If you tow - that is another issue that I cannot speak to.

I don't have a website to host pictures, but I can email them to you if you want - pm me.

Jeff

Steve Curren

Explorer
I will start with the B&M and see how the temperature goes, I usually go for the overkill. My belly up looks to be a bit tight as it has been "used", I am thinking of getting a Rubicon Express Long Arm so that might provide clearance needed. I have been on some grades that I know it got hotter than it was supposed to be and I was worried about the engine temp more than the trans, now I know.
Welding your bung is legal as long as you don't bugger it up.. Running wires is no sweat and there are plenty of places to mount it. I was just wondering if you had done the same as Robert and welded into the pan, I may wait for installation until I get a deep pan. Where did you get yours?
Thanks,
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne