Which beacon to get?

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Someone is getting us a GPS beacon for Christmas. The person at the store recommended the DeLorme inReach so she got that one but let us know that if we wanted to switch it for another brand like Spot she could go back and exchange it. The only brand ive really heard much about is Spot. Has anyone had any experience with the inReach? any opinions on it?

RobRed

Explorer
If you want the real deal I would opt for an ACR PLB. It wont send text messages but it will summon help at least "60% of the time every time."

A

agavelvr

I have an InReach currently and use it with an Ipad and Iphone. Works great. It allows you to send and receive text messages in anywhere. Not sure if a Spot can do that or if it is important to you. Additionally, the InReach comes with topo maps that match my handheld delorme gps, which is pretty nice. Not sure if Spot has that either. Finally, the InReach serves location information to non-gps enabled devices like laptops or my wifi only Ipad, which is nice.

I had a Gen1 SPOT when they first came out and have used the gen2 unit, InReach is way better IMHO.

jaxs1984

Adventurer
I have a spot 2 i haven't used it in an emergency" so technically I can't say if it works :) But, the feature to send OK messages out and map them seems to work, etc.
Even though, I have purchased the spot , I'm still doing research to determine if its the best one technically. I get paranoid that having extra features ,, etc.. would drain the battery and then god for bid, I can't transmit cause I ran out the battery. The ACR SARLink has a battery life of about 5 - 6 years but it costs 100+ to replace as the Spot uses lithium for about 7 $ .. just my .2

susswein

Observer
I'd go with the inreach. With the spot you can send messages, but receive. The inreach will let you both send and receive short messages. Plus, the inreach uses the iridium satellites, while the spot uses the globalstar satellites (which have less coverage).

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I think were going to go with the spot. The inReach seems honestly like a better product with more options but the montly cost is much more. If the spot doesnt work for us though ill just upgrade to the inReach

BurbanAZ

Explorer
what is the monthly cost of each?

from what i could find the basic spot plan was about 12 bucks a year, the basic plan for the inReach was 9 bucks a month but it also seemed to have alot of other things that would add to the cost.

A

agavelvr

spot is $100 a year for basic service, unlimited predefined messages I believe, includes no tracking

inreach is $120 a year for basic service, includes 10 messages (custom or predefined) per month (1.50 each additional), track points are 25 cents each

Both have add on plans to increase features or messages.

I opted for the basic inreach service since I rarely use tracking or more than 10 messages a month. This summer I was on the trail for a month and ran my bill up to around $30 testing all of the features to see how the system worked (posting to facebook, sending track points, and 2 way texting). For me, the extra $20 per year is worth it just for the ability to send/receive text messages. Pretty nice in the event of a break down or real life emergency. Just don't let your kids use it unless you have an unlimited plan :)

RobRed

Explorer
I love they way these things work for messaging as a nice-to-have but I'm not sure I would count on them for SAR. They are low power and attached to commercial networks.

There is a difference between satellite messaging devices with 911 capability and a locator beacon.

JRhetts

Adventurer
I offer a couple of differences that have not been emphasized:

(1) inReach uses the same Iridium satellite system as does the US military. Spot is 'coy' and does not specify which sat system it uses; if it uses GlobalSat network, the coverage is not nearly as complete or reliable.

(2) The inReach gives you an affirmative confirmation on your unit that the satellite received your message.

The Spot sends an individual "i'm OK" message 3 times to 'improve the probability' that the sat actually receives your message; Spot sends an "I need help" message 5 times; Spot sends an SOS message continuously until the battery runs out; BUT with the Spot you never know if the sat got the message you sent.

The inReach approach is a step up in security/reliability if that is what you are looking for [vs a fun texting/tracking tool where that might not matter so much].

Last edited:

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Well I got the spot but after reading a few more of the comments I'm considering exchanging it. The only problem is that it's over in Phoenix so I'd have to drive like an hour each way just to swap it out. The main comment that concerned me is about the network being more reliable on the inReach. I really honestly don't care about sending messages, I probably won't sent anything unless I really need some help so any of the extra messaging features don't really concern me. I do like how the inReach gets a confirmation that the message was received, that seems like a pretty important feature.

gm13

Adventurer
I went through the same debate a while back and went with an ACR PLB, 406MHz distress signal(international SAR standard, SARSAT), gps coords transmission and 121MHz homing beacon with flash along with confirmation that signal made it to satellite. It seemed to be the most reliable system in terms of transmission but no contact for non emergency "OK's" to folks back home.
If I need to push that button I want the best odds at a received signal. $275, no fees(except battery replacement, certified for 6 years, shelf of 11)

NOAA's SARSAT page: http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/cospas_sarsat.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles