Which beacon to get?

JRhetts

Adventurer
Scott

You must know by now that "Everything goes better with bacon." ... even brussel sprouts and waiting to be rescued.

John

Surfy

Adventurer
We had used a delorme inreach with Ipad & iPhone for our Trans-Africa.

It works well, and is much more than a bacon - with the two-way communication stuff it brings with.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm starting to look into this too and up until now I was only familiar with the SPOT as it was quite popular on ADVrider.com which is what I was about to buy. Now it seems there are several better options out there. I found these REI links quite helpful in understanding the differences and how these devices work (didn't know about the homing signal they emit for example).

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

Some informative and fairly technical reviews from the consumers here:

http://www.rei.com/product/815753/acr-electronics-resqlink-406-gps-personal-locator-beacon

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I did a lot of research on this and though the monthly cost of the InReach is higher, there a lot of issues with coverage of the Globalstar network that the Spot uses. There are reports of multiple tries of up to 20 mins for messages to go out.

The fact that in a pinch I could get two-way sealed the deal on the inReach. You have options on the plans to go "seasonal" to keep costs down for months where it's not required to have tracking,etc...

My only big complaint is that it's ugly compared to the spot unit. Boxy and just not as elegant.

But it works, and works well!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Pros and Cons with each one and based on my reading in the last 45mins here's how they stack up - in my mind anyways.

SPOT: I like the idea of being able to summon help from a friend or family member in case of a non-critical emergency (car broke down and no cell signal). Poor customer service and lower probability of the signal reaching the satallites outweighs everything else though.

InReach: Similar in concept to the SPOT but more reliable in terms of the signal reaching the rescuers

406 GPS PLBs: Basic but dead nuts reliable, no monthly cost and thus a better bargain at $280 one time cost vs. $120/yr plans - but unless you're about to die you'd better think twice about hitting that button because after the rescue bill you'll wish you didn't make it :) Unless you're in Canada where I believe rescues are free- what a concept!

Am I off base here?

Last edited:

lbrito

Broverland Expert
I've used the SPOT Connect for over 2 years now. Hiking and overlanding, and at this point, I'm considering the inReach device. When hiking, its pretty much a gamble that the SPOT will get a message out. I pay for the tracking service, and find that on my backpack, facing mostly straight up, it still can't get a message out reliably in any kind of dense vegetation. I've gone on entire trips that I wanted to track my progress on only to find that as soon as I entered the trails, no track existed, until I was almost at the exit of it. So with an inReach, at least I would know that my messages are not being acknowledged, and can move to better ground.

Now, the custom messaging on Spot Connect is nice, and helps, because you can message someone and say, "Hey, I'm stuck here, need a driveshaft" and you can use your phone to make them up on the fly. But, again, with inReach, you can receive your contact's response that says "be there in 2 days." With SPOT, you twirl your thumbs and hope for the best, so having to hit the SOS button for things that were not an emergency that became an emergency seems more likely.

With SPOT service, + tracking, + some insurance thing, I think I'm hitting like $180 a year. I am no over the tracking feature, sure its cool, but most people don't care. Those who want to know where you are, generally want to know if you made it to X location on X date or time, not so much the path you took in a crude fashion. If they want your path, they probably want a detailed GPX.

So, inReach seemed more expensive at first, and with tracking and all that, seemed cost prohibitive. But, after all this time, now I realize that I don't really care much for tracking, and that 2 way messaging and message confirmation indicators are truly better for when a real emergency or situation where you need help arises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz