Thinking of building a Quadvan, any suggestions?

Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, but definitely not to off-roading and expedition vehicles.

Currently, I'm the proud owner of a 2000 Jeep TJ and a 2010 Kawasaki KLR650, that I've taken all over the Yukon (Where I live), and I'm working on a free 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well.

That said, as of late, I've really been looking into building a Quadvan of some variety (Probably starting with a Ford E350) as a sort of longer-term camper-the bike and Jeep are great for a weekend trip out into the sticks, but for long highway trips before heading offroad, they've got some serious limitations, and they limit me to going by myself or with one, maybe two, other people and enough gear to live for a few days. So, I want to build a van that can go all the places I want to camp, and actually be able to carry the gear for 3 or 4 people to camp for a while. Hell, if I can build it well, I might even give up my apartment for the summer and live in the van.

Anyways, while I've lusted after 4WD vans of all varieties for a long time (Delicas, Hiaches, Quadvan conversions, Unimog vans, ect), I actually know next to nothing about building them. I've found a few companies offering conversion kits, but not a lot of general resources on turning an old cargo van (Or, ideally for me, a LWB ambulance) into an offroad camper.

So, for those who have, any suggestions? Any resources that I should look into? Canadians, anybody recommend a builder (In case I decide to go that route, instead of DIY)? Any help would be much appreciated!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, but definitely not to off-roading and expedition vehicles.

Currently, I'm the proud owner of a 2000 Jeep TJ and a 2010 Kawasaki KLR650, that I've taken all over the Yukon (Where I live), and I'm working on a free 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well.

That said, as of late, I've really been looking into building a Quadvan of some variety (Probably starting with a Ford E350) as a sort of longer-term camper-the bike and Jeep are great for a weekend trip out into the sticks, but for long highway trips before heading offroad, they've got some serious limitations, and they limit me to going by myself or with one, maybe two, other people and enough gear to live for a few days. So, I want to build a van that can go all the places I want to camp, and actually be able to carry the gear for 3 or 4 people to camp for a while. Hell, if I can build it well, I might even give up my apartment for the summer and live in the van.

Anyways, while I've lusted after 4WD vans of all varieties for a long time (Delicas, Hiaches, Quadvan conversions, Unimog vans, ect), I actually know next to nothing about building them. I've found a few companies offering conversion kits, but not a lot of general resources on turning an old cargo van (Or, ideally for me, a LWB ambulance) into an offroad camper.

So, for those who have, any suggestions? Any resources that I should look into? Canadians, anybody recommend a builder (In case I decide to go that route, instead of DIY)? Any help would be much appreciated!

Most definitely check-out ujoint.com and all the things and builds on expo.:cool:

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I have DIY kits for the 92 & up Ford E series, feel free to ck out my build thread in the van section.

And welcome to ExPo!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94