I spoke to a diesel shop in my area and considered having them do the 'bullet proofing' that I decided I would do. In the end, I did the work myself. Saved thousands and knew the work was done right. This is what I ended up doing to my 6.0 PSD:
- Upgraded the fuel pressure spring (blue spring upgrade).
- Upgraded the turbo oil drain tube.
- Replaced the OEM oil cooler with a new OEM cooler.
- Removed the EGR cooler with one of the many available kits.
- Rerouted my PVC hose so it vents to the atmosphere.
- Installed a coolant filter kit from one of many vendors.
- Found a used SCT Tuner and am now running a custom tune from Innovative diesel. (Required to clear the check engine light created from removing the EGR cooler).
- Purchased an Edge Insight monitor. (Allows monitoring of Engine Coolant/Oil temps, FICM voltage, etc.)
- Use Archoil 9100 in my oil.
- Use a cetane booster in my fuel.
What I did not do:
- replace the Ford Gold Coolant with ELC (Extended Life Coolant).
- replace the stock head bolts with ARP studs.
'91 FJ80, 350 TBI, 315's, ARB, Kaymar