Help me decide on iPad - WiFi or 4G

Werrea

Observer
I am looking at getting an iPad for home and navigation use. Should I get a WiFi only and get a InReach GPS or get the 4g with internal GPS? I am looking at the 64gb.

Help me.

I have money burning a hole for this but gun shy.

Thank you in advance.

Anthony

4xdog

Explorer
I believe all iPads have GPS capability. I've found wifi+3G on my original iPad has been a useful combination. I don't always have an active wireless month, but depending on where and how much I'm travelling the ability to connect when needed through 3G has been extremely useful.

Don

dnovotny

Always buy the 4G/Wifi version. You don't have to get a data contract for it, but you can add data whenever you want on a monthly basis. It's a little more upfront, but, you can turn the cellular data on and off whenever you want, but if you get the wifi only version, you can't ever add the cellular data. Also, if you decide to sell it, it will have higher resale value with the 4G chip.

haven

Expedition Leader
"all iPads have GPS..."

Unfortunately, not true. Only the iPads with 3G/4G cellular capability have the chip that receives the signals from GPS satellites. The GPS function does not require an active connection to a cell tower, or even a contract with a cell phone company.

The WiFi-only iPads have a way to calculate your approximate location by the strength of WiFi signals from routers near your position. If no Wi-Fi routers are within range, then you have no location information.

An external GPS receiver will work with WiFi-only iPads. It's less convenient to deal with the external device, but you can place the receiver in a location where it can see more GPS satellites. The result is better accuracy. For example, you can place the receiver at the base of your windshield, while the iPad stays in a mount on the dash.

That said, most people who have an iPad with internal GPS receiver report that it works OK inside their vehicles.

As a practical matter, the external Bluetooth GPS receivers cost about $100, and the 3G/4G iPads cost about $130 more than the WiFi iPads do. I think the extra convenience of the internal GPS is worth $30.

jCubed

Adventurer
"all iPads have GPS..."

Unfortunately, not true. Only the iPads with 3G/4G cellular capability have the chip that receives the signals from GPS satellites. The GPS function does not require an active connection to a cell tower, or even a contract with a cell phone company.

The WiFi-only iPads have a way to calculate your approximate location by the strength of WiFi signals from routers near your position. If no Wi-Fi routers are within range, then you have no location information.

An external GPS receiver will work with WiFi-only iPads. It's less convenient to deal with the external device, but you can place the receiver in a location where it can see more GPS satellites. The result is better accuracy. For example, you can place the receiver at the base of your windshield, while the iPad stays in a mount on the dash.

That said, most people who have an iPad with internal GPS receiver report that it works OK inside their vehicles.

As a practical matter, the external Bluetooth GPS receivers cost about $100, and the 3G/4G iPads cost about $130 more than the WiFi iPads do. I think the extra convenience of the internal GPS is worth $30.

This is correct!

4xdog

Explorer
"all iPads have GPS..."

Thanks, Chip. Dunno what I'm mis-remembering -- probably the wifi-based approximate location stuff. The GPS is integrated into the mobile wireless chipset then, yes? Makes sense, because there's been so much design work done there already.

I can't count the number of times I've used the GPS on my 3G+wifi iPad over the last two and a half years -- maybe even more still on my iPhone. I'd highly recommend one ONLY consider an iPad with 3G/4G wireless.

I can also recommend the Hema Maps USA Road Atlas for the iPad/iPhone. Not quite the detail of Google maps, but the fact that it's downloaded to the i-device and can function without a wifi or currently-active wireless contract (or even a signal when one has a contract) is a plus. Not the cheapest app in the store but it's paid for itself many times for me.

Don

Werrea

Observer
I ordered the Gumdrop. I went to BB and checked out Otter and Life. They must really mark their stuff up. Read a lot of reviews and I liked the Gumdrop. Ordered from Amazon. Can't wait to get it. Then I will take the iPad out of the plastic.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Now mounting in my 60.

4xdog

Explorer
The Gumdrop cases do look pretty good -- a brand I've not seen before. My first iPad has a Hard Candy Street Skin case, and I've been delighted with it for a few years now. Compact and durable. I like especially that it's made from a thermoplastic urethane (TPU) rather than silicone. It doesn't have the "stickiness" and dust/dog hair-attracting properties of silicones. There doesn't seem to be a Street Skin case for the iPad 3 (at least so far), and they have other cases not dissimilar to the Gumdrop.
http://www.hardcandycases.com/ipad1-ipad2.html

Looks like you made a good choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online