Survival Stoves: Optimus vs. Esbit vs. Soda Can

Fergie

Expedition Leader
This is not meant to be an end all be all review of stoves, merely a review of what I have on hand, and could carry in a B.O.B.

The stoves tested were an Optimus 8R, vintage 1972, a brand new Esbit tablet stove, and a alcohol soda can stove. I used a Control Company 4127 to record the temp of 1 pint of water, taken from the tap for every test, and the pan cooled to room temp each time. The ambient temp was 20*, in a snowy driveway at an elevation of 7000'. I used 10 minutes as a test time for 1 pint water.

ESBIT

This stove measures 3"W x 3-1/2"L x 2-1/4"H when open and 3"W x 3-7/8"L x 3/4"H when closed. It uses Esbit brand fuel tabs with a rated boiling time of 8 minutes for a pint of water. During this test, the water did not come to a boil, but the useful time of the tab was closer to 10 minutes than 8. At the end of 10 minutes, the temperature of the water was 137*; more than enough to make some food or melt snow for water. As it did not come to an actual boil, I am not comfortable with saying that the stove would be good for water purification.

026_zps4d9ec65c.jpg

OPTIMUS 8R

This stove measures 3" x 5" x 5" open, and similar dimensions when closed. It uses any fuel, be it Coleman white fuel, MSR fuel, kerosene, or anything else. For this test, I was using Coleman white fuel. The water temp maxed out above 158*, the upper limit of the 4127 well before the 10 minute mark, with the water boiling around the 7 minute mark.

025_zps6f98449e.jpg

Alcohol Soda Can Stove

Info on building this stove can be found on several sites:
http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcohol-stove/how-to-build.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/Soda-Can-Stove-3/

This stove, while fun to make, did not perform. It would be handy as a warmer for your fondue, but not in a situation where your life and survival was on the line. I used isopropyl alcohol for this version, and have used HEET in the past with similar results. Personally, if you have the time to make a soda can stove for your B.O.B., then you have time to plan ahead a bit better and purchase another stove.

For all of the stoves, I used a plain old Bic lighter to start things up. The Esbit stove tab was super easy to start, and kept going throughout. The Esbit stove has the ability to be adjusted based on wind direction, but by no means is wind proof.

For the Optimus, one must use a dropper to place fuel in the bowl prior to ignition. Once this priming fuel is ignited, warming up the the fuel intake tube, then the stove is adjusted via the included key. If time is critical, then this stove will push the limits in that it takes close to 2 minutes to warm everything up before actual use occurs.

Considering that the Esbit is faster to light, but does not bring the water to a boil, and the Optimus is slower to light and does bring the water to a boil, I would consider the test a wash. If you just need to melt snow and can filter the results, the Esbit will work. If you need to purify the water, and have multiple fuel sources available, the Optimus would be the choice.

Consider that the fuel tabs last for ~10 minutes, with 4 tabs able to stow within the collapsed stove, and the Optimus holding well over 30 minutes of fuel at full capaity, it is again a wash. Consider too, that at 7000', there is less ATM, so the boiling temp is less. I doubt this would be an overriding factor in stove selection, but something to keep in mind.

Personally, space is critical for me in my B.O.B., and I do not want fuel or wicks to worry about, so I go with the Esbit. The stove, four tabs, and more tabs can store in a cup and it takes up no more space than the cup. The tabs can also be used for starting larger fires as they are weather proof, for the most part, and take light very easily.

I've used everything from the Optimus 8R, MSR Dragonfly, Primus Eta platform, flint and steel, Esbits, and flint and steel for fire starting and cooking, and the I think the Esbit is the best compromise for size, ability and availabilty.

Your results will vary, but at least get out there and test what you use, in a less than ideal environment. Sitting around these stoves while waiting for the water to boil was not fun in 20* weather; injuries, adrenaline and other situational factors will make use in the real world much more difficult.

Comments, questions and personal experiences are welcome!

G

Expedition Leader
... personal experiences are welcome!

I have several lightweight stoves, but the one I keep going back to and using the most is my 39-year-old Svea 123, which appears to use the exact same jet and burner as your Optimus 8R above. It has only one moving part (the jet needle), and has never failed to start and work well at any altitude or temperature. It has never needed any maintenance (though all I run in it is white gas). The thing just keeps working. I'm convinced it will still be working after another 40 years for my grandchildren/great-grandchildren. I have other stoves that will boil water faster, but none that can compare to the old Svea for reliability and consistency. It stays in my B.O.B., when I'm not using it for ordinary camping.

Zam15

Explorer
I have not used any of the stoves above but I did just get a OmniLite Ti for Christmas, I am going to use it for light camping and my BOB. I like it because it will work with gas, gasoline/petrol, diesel, kerosene/paraffin, and even JP8 jet fuel.
321985_OmniLite_Ti_with_fuel_bottle_400x400.jpg
I was also looking into the BioLite wood stove should no standard fuels be available, but where I normally camp (desert) their is not much wood around. It still only takes a few sticks to run this thing.. So many options out there. Need to see if I can still rub two sticks together and make fire, have not done that for a long time.
20120715biolite.jpg

762X39

Explorer
I carry the esbit stove in my truck winter kit bag and like the ease of use. I also have a Trangia alcohol stove (Swedish Military complete with pot, lid and windshield) that I use a lot. I tested it years ago (like over a decade ago ) with several fuels and found methyl hydrate to be the cleanest burning of the bunch. Isopropyl alcohol (95%) was the crappiest fuel to use. It left a lot of soot on the pot of water whereas the methyl hydrate burned clean. The tests were conducted outside on the tailgate of my truck and the ambient temperature was -10C.:coffee:

Canteen cup stove with canteen for me.

4320474647_28232487e1.jpg

You can fire it with Gel fuel, Esbit, wood, anything you can fit under it.
Compacts nicely with canteen cup which serves as your container :D

762X39

Explorer
I forgot all about my canteen cup. I used to use it with my esbit stove all the time.I'll have to dig it out.:coffee:

JetBoil. Compact, "lightweight", 2 -cup integral container, runs like a blowtorch. I still have a working Optimus/Svea from my Boy Scout days. In terms of efficiency, it's a nice museum piece, but you still gotta love them for their ingenuity. :sombrero:

lostdreamer

Have you considered MSR?

Not cheap, but if you want an emergency stove that will work whatever the conditions - give them some thought.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We carry an ESBIT stove in our BOBs, but a different model than the one you show. My tests confirm your findings: a single tablet will not bring water to a boil, but it does get hot enough to make some tea or instant soup. You can boil water with two fuel tablets. The primary scenario I am looking at is that we need to walk home (25-30 miles) in the aftermath of a major earthquake. Frankly, it's debatable whether we really would need to cook in that scenario.

Here's the one we use. The stove nests inside the pot shown in the picture, so it makes for a nice integrated set.

CS585HA_01_Kochset_(Trockenbrennstoff_nicht_im_Lieferumfang_enthalten).jpg

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Have you considered MSR?

Not cheap, but if you want an emergency stove that will work whatever the conditions - give them some thought.

I had an MSR Dragonfly for a good while but had to sell it a while back when I was out of work; $80 puts a lot of groceries on the table! The stove worked well, and had it on a few backpacking trips and camping trips.

We carry an ESBIT stove in our BOBs, but a different model than the one you show. My tests confirm your findings: a single tablet will not bring water to a boil, but it does get hot enough to make some tea or instant soup. You can boil water with two fuel tablets. The primary scenario I am looking at is that we need to walk home (25-30 miles) in the aftermath of a major earthquake. Frankly, it's debatable whether we really would need to cook in that scenario.

Here's the one we use. The stove nests inside the pot shown in the picture, so it makes for a nice integrated set.

View attachment 138408

Do you have a name on this one? I'll have to try the double cube for boiling water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior