Defenders in 1981?

beverly

null
Hi,

I've found a local Craigslist post for a very good condition Defender 90. My quick research shows they began production in 1983, yet this model is listed as a 1981. I've done the vin code break down, and its correct on all counts, so it's not a typo. Did they make them in '81? Or is this just a prettied up series III (the leaf springs would point to this)? It's a left hand drive 2.5L NA diesel. Just trying to figure out this trucks story and where it came from.

Thanks

image.jpg

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
The "defender" wasn't made until around 90-91. The 90-110 were around 83. Stage 1 V8 Series III were around until 83-85 IIRC. Could be a vin swap unless it actually has leaf springs, in which case it's a Series.

4xdog

Explorer
Phony vin to get imported, more than likely.

Indeed, very likely. I picked up brochures for the LR 90 and 110 at their stand at the Paris Auto Show in 1984 -- have 'em here now -- and that vehicle was new in the French market. The Defender came much later, as stated previously.

VIN numbers are placed several places on a vehicle in addition to the plate where A-pillar meets scuttle. I'm sure the LR 90 "hidden" VIN locations are out there someplace -- maybe even from folks here on ExPo. If you're serious about figuring out the vehicle's past they might be worth checking.

Don

jrose609

Explorer
That truck was originally imported a few years ago by a guy here in Idaho and sold. He was selling it here on Craigslist as a '91, but he ended up selling it on eBay.

It was a very nice original rig.

czenkov

Adventurer
Hi,

I've found a local Craigslist post for a very good condition Defender 90. My quick research shows they began production in 1983, yet this model is listed as a 1981. I've done the vin code break down, and its correct on all counts, so it's not a typo. Did they make them in '81? Or is this just a prettied up series III (the leaf springs would point to this)? It's a left hand drive 2.5L NA diesel. Just trying to figure out this trucks story and where it came from.View attachment 138226

Cannot tell from the pic. Does it have leafs? If so a SIII or Stage 1. If not likely a 90 with a SIII VIN. What is the VIN? Perhaps we can discover more for you.

Thanks

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
His first post makes it sound like it has leaf springs, which makes it a Series, that is the deciding factor here.

Sent from my iPhone

beverly

null
I believe you can see the leaf spring in the rear here.

image.jpg

There is more information on Craigslist anchorage. Very low miles. I looked at the vehicle briefly in person and everything looked sound. I don't think I'd change a thing on it. I don't remember looking at the suspension closely, as I wasn't really sure what I was looking at.

Thanks for the help so far, happy new year.

mike_ie

I reckon they're the rear radius arms, not leaf springs, so it's looking like a coil sprung chassis from a defender here. Doors are from a series 3, going by the windows and the detachable tops, looks like an externally ribbed roof too. However the front bonnet, wings and grille are from a county or an earlier defender, so it's a bit of a mix and match item.

One thing I can tell you is that from the bulkhead forward is definitely not '81, probably can say the same for the bulkhead and windows. Doors and rear could well be. And if the chassis is coil sprung, it's definitely '83 onwards...

Any info on what engine or gearbox it has???

mike_ie

Just found the ad on craigslist - ad says that it's a 2.5L Normally Aspirated 4 Cylinder diesel, which IS one of the earlier diesels, but was in the County, and first came out in '84 if I'm not mistaken. Gearbox is a 5-speed, shift pattern says it's either an LT77 or LT85, LT85 appeared in '85, LT77 in '83 I think.

Seems to be a bit of a 'bitser' to me....

mike_ie

Apologies for the multiple posts. VIN breaks down as follows:

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LD Model: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)
V Wheel base: 92.9 inch, but designated 90
A Body type: 2-door: Pickup, hood cab, truck cab, or soft/hard top
C Engine type: 2.5 litre diesel (model 12J)
8 Steering and transmission: Left-hand drive (LHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
A Model year: 1983, 1984
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
301904 Serial number

Definitely not an '81, or a "Defender" as the ad claims, the "Defender" badging on the vehicle doesn't match up with the age of the chassis, and if I were to hazard a guess, the windows in the rear are from a later model. The rest could be legit though, hard to say...

jrose609

Explorer
The truck is coil sprung. It was a military D90. When I checked it out, it was still original military.

beverly

null
Thank you all for the replies. It's becoming an uncommon thing on most forums, actual help from knowledgeable people.

One could safely say its (for example), a 1985 that was meant to seem like a 1981 for import purposes?

mike_ie

Until you check the stamped VIN number on the actual chassis, and then run the numbers on it, you can't "safely" say anything. Engine and drivetrain seem to fit the '83-'84 timeline, however the "Defender" badging on the front and rear, and a few niggling details about the body panels are still suspect for me at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles