Which one to build?

noco-k5

I've been reading through this forum and really like the idea of an expedition type vehicle. I don't plan on going for weeks on end, but would like to make some trips to the back country around the Rocky Mountain region where I live. I currently own both a 2004 Suburban 2500 with 132k on the LQ4 and a 1970 Blazer. The Suburban is completely stock but the engine still appears strong despite the mileage. The Blazer has a new crate 350 and new transmission, 2 inch Tuff Country Lift and the stock 12 bolt rear end with a 10 bolt out of an 84 so it would have front disc brakes. I love the Blazer and the way it looks, but I'm just skeptical about the reliability on long trips. If I keep the Blazer I've considered some sort of fuel injection swap. I'll probably keep the Suburban regardless as I love it as my winter daily driver, but I'm considering selling the Blazer and using the money to fund a build up on the Suburban to include a lift, some body protection, bigger tires, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Love the site.

Suburban2500.jpg

2012-11-04081932.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
All depends on you. What you want. I chose to build a Ramcharger (blazer size) as wee do not need the space. I had larger rigs but found this to fit what we need. I also have a sonoma (s10) built for way hard stuff. I would recommend the blazer the blazer if you do.not need the space.

Rot Box

Explorer
Welcome to the site. Love your 70-what a beauty! :bike_rider:

It all depends on your needs vs. wants... Never build a vehicle based off of wants--always build off of needs and that's all up to you :elkgrin:

rotti

Adventurer
I'll probably keep the Suburban regardless as I love it....... [/IMG]

I think you answered your own question.
Beautiful old Blazer, but....if you have no choice go with the burb.

On edit, if it was me, I would leave the burb stock and keep the Blazer.....win/win.

Last edited:

noco-k5

It's definitely not a financial consideration at this point I can keep both I just feel like I have too many cars. I also have a 2012 Mustang GT. The Blazer is definitely cooler and I love driving it around town. If I keep it my next plans are to put a cage in and get a soft top. I guess I'm just asking those with experience if they feel a 43 year old truck with 43 year old technology will be reliable enough to take on some long trips. What sort of mods should one do to increase reliability on these sort of trips?

mwaltd

Observer
Id go with the Blazer on cool factor alone...just me though... If the size of the blazer fits the need go for it.

The simplicity of the "old technology" will help with the reliablility i.e. no electronic sensor, less wiring, no computers. All adds up to less weight, fewer spare parts to carry and if something does go down easier diagnostics.

If you do go with blazer choose good quaility parts and keep it simple

Rot Box

Explorer
I guess I'm just asking those with experience if they feel a 43 year old truck with 43 year old technology will be reliable enough to take on some long trips. What sort of mods should one do to increase reliability on these sort of trips?

I agree with mwaltd on the simplicity. Quality parts are key so pass on the parts store Hencho en China junk. Has the ignition been upgraded to HEI? What carburetor is on there? So long as everything is healthy the K5 would be very hard to beat in this game :coffee:

EDIT: Not implying that the never Suburbans are unreliable. Looks like a nice rig too :)

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
.... So long as everything is healthy the K5 would be very hard to beat in this game :coffee:

I agree. I have an '80 CJ7, and I have taken it on 3k mile trips, and did some hard wheeling while there (Moab) and drove home, towed my M416 trailer out and back.

It's also my 'Go To' rig for hunting and fishing trips. Those trips are usually between 500-1000 miles put on over a week.

I have had less problems on the road/trail with the CJ, then I have with my old '99 XJ or my '00 TJ.

The older rigs sometimes take more maintenance, but are easier to work on, easier to source parts for, and for me, a whole lot more fun to drive!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You would regret selling that Blazer about 7/10ths of a second after you signed over the title. As others have said... Simplicity=Reliability!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off I would like to sday welcome to the site NoCo. I have an old 1978 Chev pick-up that I take on longer trips without any problems. I once had a part fall off the carburetor while wheeling back country. I took a coat hanger and bent a new piece and was good to go in 5 mins. I did not replace it for 2 years when I was going to put a new carb on anyways. As mentioned before if you dont need the size of the `Burb´than use the Blazer. That old rig is such a beauty. Cheers, Chilli.:)

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I laughed a little when you said that the Suburban runs great despite the mileage. My Wife's 2001 Yukon XL 2500 with an LQ4 has 288k and runs like a top. If you maintain the modern trucks they last a LONG time. We've had it since '08 and will probably keep it until the wheels fall off, then I'll bolt them back on and keep driving it. Love that truck.

noco-k5

Appreciate everybodies feedback. I really do like both vehicles alot so maybe I'll keep them and slowly build both. Other than a cage and softtop there isn't much left to do to the Blazer other than take it on a trip and see how it performs. I may eventually do more but hopefully just small tweaks. As I said earlier I might try to switch it to fuel injection at some point but the Q-jet and HEI system it currently has perform pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94