Coleman peak 1

Sempertoy

Explorer
Picked this nifty little single burner up today. Never heard of the peak 1 line, it must be 15 years old or so. Thought it was cool that its a dual fuel, same as my stove.

If anyone has info on it I'd like to hear it!

u6aneqyz.jpg

ebe3u8yp.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rngrubi

Observer
I have one of those exact same stoves. I've had it since around 1997. It still works great, you just have to give it an occasional pump to keep the pressure up during operation. It works a lot like the coleman larger white gas stoves, you have to let it heat the generator up so the fuel will atomize correctly before cooking with it.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Sweet stove.
I have its older brother, the Feather 442, and I love it. I've cooked hundreds of meals with it, and replaced only the burner box and generator.
It'll fit great in a #10 coffee can lined with an old sleeping pad for protection.
If you use only Coleman fuel, the generator will last longer

Coleman.com has the parts manual
http://coleman.com/Parts/RNRP/repair-replacement-parts/550-499/1-burner-multi-fuel-stove
Parts are easy to get at oldcolemanparts.com (no affiliation).

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Sweet stove.
I have its older brother, the Feather 442, and I love it. I've cooked hundreds of meals with it, and replaced only the burner box and generator.
It'll fit great in a #10 coffee can lined with an old sleeping pad for protection.
If you use only Coleman fuel, the generator will last longer

Coleman.com has the parts manual
http://coleman.com/Parts/RNRP/repair-replacement-parts/550-499/1-burner-multi-fuel-stove
Parts are easy to get at oldcolemanparts.com (no affiliation).

Awesome! Mine actually came with a spare generator so ill be good for a while!

15 years? Try more like 30! Used one when they first came out as a (heavy) backpacking stove. Blowtorch on high but very adjustable. Good units. :sombrero:

perkj

Explorer
Ah Coleman stoves, my area of expertise :) Thats the Coleman Peak 550 and its a multi fuel which will burn on only Coleman Fuel(CF) or Kerosene. Its not "Dual Fuel" in the traditional Coleman definition, i.e. Coleman Fuel and Unleaded Fuel. The 550s came with 2 generators. The one preinstalled from the factory is for CF...that generator will have a smooth generator nut. The other generator is for when you want to burn Kerosene...it'll have a notch in the generator nut to differentiate it from the CF generator. The stove will produce 7500 BTUs of heat on CF and 6500 BTUs on Kero. This is one of the only a few Coleman stoves that is capable of burning Kerosene. I have two of these stoves....one is the silver Peak 550 and the other is the later model copper Exponent 550 (coleman rebranded the Peak line to Exponent). I have them both set up for Kero for a couple reason's (1) I have WAY to many other Coleman stoves that run off CF or are Dual Fuel (i.e. CF or Unleaded), (2) Kero is much less volatile than CF and thus is much safer (no potential for a fire ball), (3) Kero is cheaper than CF, and (4) I have a bunch of Kero burning Coleman Lanterns, so this stove comes in handy when I bring out those lanterns to have a single fuel source. Note if you do convert to the Kero setup, you must prime/pre-heat the generator with some denatured alcohol since Kero won't vaporize until over 100 F.

The 550 is one of the best simmering stoves out there....more so when running on CF.

If yours didn't come with the Kero generator, Coleman still sells them on their site...see #18 in the list: http://coleman.com/Parts/RNRP/repair-replacement-parts/550-499/1-burner-multi-fuel-stove . oldcolemanparts.com should have them too for about the same price.

BTW, how much did you pick it up for? They go for $75-110 new on ebay and I think Amazon still have some for $89....Coleman no longer makes the 550. :(

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Ah Coleman stoves, my area of expertise :) Thats the Coleman Peak 550 and its a multi fuel which will burn on only Coleman Fuel(CF) or Kerosene. Its not "Dual Fuel" in the traditional Coleman definition, i.e. Coleman Fuel and Unleaded Fuel. The 550s came with 2 generators. The one preinstalled from the factory is for CF...that generator will have a smooth generator nut. The other generator is for when you want to burn Kerosene...it'll have a notch in the generator nut to differentiate it from the CF generator. The stove will produce 7500 BTUs of heat on CF and 6500 BTUs on Kero. This is one of the only Coleman stoves that is capable of burning Kerosene. I have two of these stoves....one is the silver Peak 550 and the other is the later model copper Exponent 550 (coleman rebranded the Peak line to Exponent). I have them both set up for Kero for a couple reason's (1) I have WAY to many other Coleman stoves that run off CF or are Dual Fuel (i.e. CF or Unleaded), (2) Kero is much less volatile than CF and thus is much safer (no potential for a fire ball), (3) Kero is cheaper than CF, and (4) I have a bunch of Kero burning Coleman Lanterns, so this stove comes in handy when I bring out those lanterns to have a single fuel source. Note if you do convert to the Kero setup, you must prime/pre-heat the generator with some denatured alcohol since Kero won't vaporize until over 100 F.

The 550 is one of the best simmering stoves out there....more so when running on CF.

If yours didn't come with the Kero generator, Coleman still sells them on their site...see #18 in the list: http://coleman.com/Parts/RNRP/repair-replacement-parts/550-499/1-burner-multi-fuel-stove . oldcolemanparts.com should have them too for about the same price.

BTW, how much did you pick it up for? They go for $75-110 new on ebay and I think Amazon still have some for $89....Coleman no longer makes the 550. :(

Lots of great info!

Luckily I have both generators, I'll probably run Coleman fuel since that's what I run my stove on.

I got it for free. It was at my wife's uncles house and he hasn't camped in a couple decades and he sent me home with it. Guess I got lucky!

gm13

Adventurer
I just had to retire mine after 20+ years of use. It even spent a winter or two as a heater bolted to the floor of my Jeep DJ5. (what's a little CO to a young brain) Great stove, always performed well, until I went to clean it recently and over-cranked a flange nut. Replaced it with the copper colored dual fuel and canabalized the beefier pot support/wind baffle from the multi. I love the adjustable 3rd foot, simple design that really comes in handy. Hope it serves you well, enjoy.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Just fired this up yesterday. Drained out the fuel that had been in there 20 years? More? Filled it up and it lit right up! Way excited to get this out and use it.

4xdog

Explorer
Boy... I'm getting old. I remember when the Peak 1 line was introduced.

Old Coleman single-burners are terrific stoves. I still have -- and still use -- the Coleman stove and heat drum our family purchased circa 1969-70.

Don

i-69LtrMP-L.jpg

i-RF8xZSk-L.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I got my first Peak 1 stove in 1984.

I have taken that stove with me on just about every backpacking and wheeling/camping excursion I've been on. It has never let me down - even with old fuel.

Great stove - you will enjoy it for many, many years.

robert

Expedition Leader
Yep, I've got the old brown model that's designed only for Coleman fuel. I got it back when I was in the Boy Scouts in the early eighties and it still works great. It's one of the best stoves for actually cooking since it's so adjustable. I use a Jetboil more often now simply for the convenience factor, but would have no qualms (other than weight) about throwing the old stove in my pack anytime.

magentawave

Adventurer
Does anyone make a replacement for the Coleman Heat Drum now and are parts like the kerosene generator still available for the Coleman Peak 1?

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Those single burner stoves are pretty cool. I got one back in 1989 after going camping with a friend and seeing his cool little single burner (at that time, the only "coleman stove" I had ever seen was the bigger, green dual-burner stove we had when I was a kid.)

I used it on and off until 2002 and then put it away. Subsequently I moved a bunch of times due to college and the military. I had assumed that some time during all those moves my old Coleman stove had gotten lost, thrown out or given away.

In 2012, we bought a Teardrop trailer, and went to a few "Tearjerker" gatherings. At one of them (in Wyoming) all the other campers got all their old Coleman lanterns out and lit them up at sunset. It was pretty cool to see all the old lanterns lit up. So, I decided I'd start collecting old Coleman lanterns, too, and in June of this year, my wife bought me a pretty nice 242B lantern (single-mantle) dated 1941. Over the next few months I bought several more vintage lanterns, some of them worked, some of them don't (yet.)

Getting into lanterns started me to thinking about other Coleman GPAs (Gas Powered Appliances) and I remembered that old single burner Coleman I used to have, and I kind of wished I'd kept it.

Then back in September, I was getting ready to go hunting and pulled out the plastic tote that had my hunting gear in it, and there it was!

2013_1020_151442AA_zpsb2275fb0.jpg

Mine is a 508, runs on CF only. And it even came with a nice little plastic carrying case. I even still have the instructions and the little wrench that came with it:

2013_1020_151450AA_zps05d4ca59.jpg

2013_1020_151508AA_zps239cddac.jpg

Even though I've been camping with propane now since 2006, I'm giving serious thought to going back to CF for cooking. I'd like to find a nice 2-burner stove to replace my current propane stove, and I'll probably bring the single-burner, too, just because it's easy and convenient to use.

Oh, yeah, and just for fun, I opened the cap and verified that there was still some fuel in it. Then, without adding any "new" fuel, I pumped it up, turned on the gas and - VOILA! - it fired right up!

The last time I used this lantern was in May of 2002 so this gas was a minimum of 11 1/2 years old! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94