Long and low or Short and tall

easyshell

Trying to decide on how to build my new truck long and low (as low as I can with lots of work) or short and tall with not much work.

Right now the truck sits at 12'6" tall and 24' long and will be going up another 10" when converted to 4x4 and larger tires. IMG_0195.JPG
I could lenghen the wheel base of the truck 4'6" and move the camper back 6' and lower the camper 16" but then it would make it 30' long. and 6" lower than what it is now. It would also give me some space infront of the camper for storage or a room for the kids when they get to the age they can't share a bed or just kick them out into the trailer when I enclose it.

I have already torn off the fridge vent, roof rack and a few marker lights (which will always happen)
The truck feels more stable than my dodge with the camper but not sure what it will be like 4x4
I know right now I like the lenght to drive around town it is shorter than the dodge and turns sharper it's just wider.

It's driving me nuts trying to decide b/c I am going to build a new deck with side tool boxes ect... and have to decide witch way to go and there are pro's and con's to each

Which way would you go?????
Thanks

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Where do you plan to travel in your rig?

With the travels that you do, what concerns you more?

Personally, I would pick a tighter turning radius. But that just fits better with the traveling that I do.

ben2go

Adventurer
Low and long.Bridges, over passes, and power lines will be an issue.In town,I've seen obstacals as low as 11 feet.

easyshell

I am thinking of going a totally different way and building a offroad capable gooseneck trailer with living and separate cargo space. I just have to figure out a hitch design that will not limit the places I can take it. We had a 26' fithwheel that we really liked but could take no toys and the hitch was a limiting factor as well as the Trailer to box clearance on the truck. With the new trailer we would have a flat deck on the truck and storage for the toys just need to figure out a hitch design that will give me more articulation than 30 deg. I haven't seen any one build something like this yet so any ideas would be great

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
No more drive-throughs, 13' 4" is a problem for some bridges around here, 50/60 mph gusts will be fun....:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke