Sound Deadening Options?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
All two times that I've done the "ratchet" weld it hasn't bothered the far side paint. It is a fine line though.......

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Almost too many choices....

I like doing the top under the headliner too...although I'm going today to take some pics of a pop top troopy....:costumed-smiley-007 Maybe work a deal on the top....:chowtime:

I like carpet for the "comfort" factor, making it a bit warmer up front where the passengers are, but will likely use rubber matting in the rear cargo area...

-H-

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
An option I've long considered is to user either the rubber floor mat or one of the bedliner products, and then put carpeted floormats on top of that. I want the utility of the former combined with the plushness of the latter.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'm surprized no one has posted this link yet:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

More about sound deadener and the sound deadening process than you would ever want to know.

I emailed the author about the cheap non-asphalt based sound deadeners, such as the mylar wrap, and he said along the lings "I have not tried that but I have tried and tried with all sorts of various deadeners and none of the cheap ones work that well." It is a sort of get what you pay for supposedly...

I am after a hopefully cheap alternative option too, particularly with the louder diesel swaps. That said I too am not necessarily after absolutely optimum performance, I am interested in some deadening mostly and heat resistance as well. But something that won't stink if it gets too hot or turn to liquid, or get brittle in the cold, like the asphalt based deadeners and the roofing material options from Home Depot, etc.

I think I'll use mine in the floors and doors only as I'll be using a different insulation and carpet for the roof. I am curious how well the vent duct insulation and the cheaper JC Whitney stuff do work... He was saying the biggest thing is the ability of the deadener to stick well to the metal to prevent vibration, rather than simple insulation by adding a layer. Thicker is not always "the best" but a combo of adhesion and technology actually...

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I also did a spray in bedliner in my interior with my last 55 as well. I did it mostly expecting a noticable noise reduction. I used a decent mid-grade bedliner, Durabak (which it turns out is exactly the same as Herculiner, which I heard direct from the manufacturer). It offered little sound deadening, for what its worth and I would not do again. I would only consider a spray in bedliner if you spend $300-400 or more and have a professional bedliner installer put it in, and a a high quality product (aka, expensive), at 1/8" or more thickness. But even then it may offer little sound protection.

The spray-yourself options are not a good option at all, and it takes a lot of time and material (multiple days) and hundreds in their material to get close to any thickness that will offer some protection. I also sprayed mine thickly (I used 2 gallons inside my 55), probably lost too many brain cells, and it was not overly durable. I tore it within a couple months in some places... I would not recommend bedliner at all...

Last edited:

Robthebrit

Explorer
I don't think it will help with the noise from a diesel. The only thing I have found that works is heavy rubber. Everything else works for road noise and reverberation but that is about it.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The low freq diesel engine noises are essentially the same as a sparky. It's the high freq noises, stuff the diesel injector noise, that is the challenge. High freq stuff is always more of a challenge. I think Rob has the simple solution. Not sure what a thinner option might be. Maybe VHB some thin lead sheet in place?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
its not necessarily at highway speeds. I think at highway it is the same as any other vehicle and should not be too bad. And the noise isn't to bad. But around town with this particular engine it gets a little noisy. You can hear the rattle much worse. On the freeway I actually kind of like the sound... Another thing I did was actually replace my firewall of my vehicle. It is an old design and has always had tons of holes for old outdated equipment (t brake mounted ebrakes, old shoddy heaters, etc) that I did not use. This will of course remove a lot of noise too. I have also made the new firewall very streamlined so it will be easy to apply soundproofing too. I don't think its possibly but I want almost luxury car type sound proofing out of my old FJ55. It is an oxymoron but I think its doable :) I am also going to do very good weather stripping and in general will focus heavily on it :)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
My sound insulation project was a major undertaking, I'm glad I did it though. I used 100 sq ft of Fatmat, and 30 sq ft of eDead. Total estimated weight for all sound deadening materials is about 30 lbs.

I used a layer of closed cell foam in the headliner and the bottom of each door panel (where it cant get hung up in the window tracks/mechanism), I also used an additional layer of old school insulation on the floor pan on top of the Fatmat.

The sound insulation has made a great difference in road noise. There are sounds that cant be negated by insulation like windshield noise, and since I added the rack I have some noise from up there as well at about 70mph depending on weather.

The main reason I did all the insulation was to improve the way my stereo sounds during long road trips... much better sound quality IMO.

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

fatmat4.jpg

fatmat3.jpg

fatmat2.jpg

fatmat1.jpg

eDeadroof.jpg

3in13.jpg

3in1.jpg

Last edited:

Robthebrit

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
its not necessarily at highway speeds. I think at highway it is the same as any other vehicle and should not be too bad.

You don't drive a mog :) Sitting 18 inches from a big direct inject diesel thats is running flat out is kinda noisey.

Rob

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
You are correct but funny enough I have actually spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a factory geared DOKA. We even drove it to Moab once and I drove it repeatedly a couple hours to Salt Lake and back... Loud as hell at 50 mph maxed out but fun! I also drove a 416 french troop carrier soft top for a week of 20-minute commuting when I was doing my first spring over..

Yes I wore ear plugs and they still didn't work that well...

Robthebrit

Explorer
thats awesome..

I have my doka to where you don't need ear plugs and can hear the radio and can talk to the passenger without shouting, I can just about talk on the phone but its difficult. I have not done much on the camper cab yet, its quieter to start with so I should be able to get it least as quiet as the doka. Heat from the exhaust is a bigger problem.

Rob

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Though not idealized toward heat insulation, the sound stuff should have a nearly equal effect on the heat.

When I put the Reflectix up in the Sub I was after heat, but got some sound in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior