Pop up Camper run

bob91yj

Resident **************
It seems that most of us that use our trucks/campers for our travels are out there by ourselves more often than not. I know that my set up would never keep up with the groups I generally run with.

Anyone have any interest of getting together this spring for a jaunt through Death Valley? Take a look at the calender, see what weekend would work, and if someone that has experience in a full size there could outline a sensible two day route, that would be cool. From another thread, it was noted that groups are limited to 6 vehicles.

I think it would be fun to spend a couple of days sharing ideas and having a good time.

For date conflicts keep in mind, the TDS Desert Safari is the first weekend of March, and Desert Rendezvous will be mixed in there somewhere.

There is at least one other group fro this forum going the weekend of 3/27-31.

Update:

Dates are set, April 4-7.

Need to get a list of commitments together. It's been suggested that we split the group into 2wd/4wd if need be. Post in the thread or PM me if you want to commit.

1. bob91yj, Bob Green, my wife Machelle, two Boxer dogs, 4wd GMC Dmax.
2. topofpalomar, Cliff, 4wd Chevy Dmax
3. notamog, Bruce, Tacoma 4x4 with AT FlipPac
4. Waltzing Matilda, 2wd Ford Ranger

Current first night plan/rally point for Friday morning...
Start at the Harry Wade Exit Route off Highway 127 North of Baker and South of Shoshone and enter the park from there.

The first several miles or so of Harry Wade Rd has BLM land on the Southern (left) side of the road. The North side is within the park. One point seven (1.7) miles from Hwy 127 on the Harry Wade there is a trail on the left leading up to the Avawatz Mtns that would be a decent first-night's camp spot right off the Route. Cliff spoke to a BLM ranger (Jeff) who stated that we'd be fine there with a small group (six or so). As you go up this trail further a few folks could find a spot or two but as the terrain begins to get steeper it would be more difficult to get a level spot. However, this area right near the Harry Wade Route could be an excellent first night's starting point and would be easy to spot for someone coming in, even after dark.

Still open for suggestions for Friday night/Saturday night camping areas.

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Bob! You are so right! I feel I am always hitting these places up solo. My girl and I were just talking two days ago that we wished we had more friends with similar setups.

I think we would be down for a DV run with some fellow pop-up folks. Ill have to take a look at the calendar and see what we can swing.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Well crap, I post this and then life starts getting in the way. What do you guys think about April? Right now I have it wide open. Weekend of the 13th or the 20th would be better for me, but any of them will work. I can maybe pull off a couple of days off in March if I cancel some other plans.

I'm thinking a Friday arrival, roam around DV Saturday and Sunday, home on Monday whichever weekend we pick.

As far as the route, I'd like to defer that to anyone that has more experience in DV than I do. I have a buddy that is very familiar with the area, I could probably get him to plan a decent route for us if no one else wants to tackle it.

I don't think it should matter what vehicle you actually bring, just be prepared for the trucks/campers to set the pace.

(I'm a great idea guy, not so much of a trip planner!:sombrero:)

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I already have a few trips planned in March. The Desert Rendezvous is one, and a Bishop fishing trip is in the works for probably the 3rd weekend.

If you guys plan an April trip, id be interested. Iv'e done alot of reading/research on DV, and have been all over the Eastern Sierras, but havn't really explored much of the park itself. I even have several maps & guidebooks.

I have been wanting to take a trip into DV for years. And although we travel pretty self sufficiant, and like being the only one around for miles, I still think It's good to go with a group for our first time to get to know the area, get a feel for the terrain, etc.

As far as trails & routes go. And the trip being geared towards trucks with Popup Campers, Im guessing that you guys don't plan on doing any EXTREME 4WD trails, rock ledges, dry waterfalls, huge boulder fields, etc ?

While I feel my rig is pretty capable of traveling around most of DV, plenty of clearence, good tires, extra weight of camper for traction, recovery gear, etc. It's still only 2WD.

brian90744

American Trekker
The dates are now official for Overland Expo 2013: May 17-19, in the same venue outside Flagstaff, Arizona. I'm still in for DV.
Opening Trout is the last Saturday in April.
brian

Last edited:

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
Opening trout is last Sat. in April, but the city of Bishop has an annual (pre opener) the 2nd weekend of March called the Blake Jones Trout Derby. You can fish the Rez and the Owens all year btw.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
I'd be interested in April, too. I used to volunteer at DV years ago for Resources (archaeology) but haven't been out there much over the last 10to 15 years. Nail down a date and I'll see what I can do.

Cliff

seeNik48

Adventurer
We would be interested also. We had planned to go in March but any time in April would be fine. We have a 4x4 and a Hallmark Ute. We would probably stay longer as we are photographers. We would also like to further explore Eastern Sierra again as we have only been there once (September 2009). The later dates would open more roads due to less snow, am I right? Racetrack is on my agenda for photography. Also, we would probably do Artists Drive, Dante's View, Zabriskie Point, other photo ops on our own as easy for access. Eureka Dunes would be fun. Any guides (archeology) would be a bonus. It would be fun to share ideas and get to know other pop up truck campers. We would be meandering down from Washington state. We are retired and put in a veggy garden every year but can work around that. We are in. The other group wouldn't work as we also sell at a plant sale that Saturday March 30.

mudmony

Observer
Nik, eastern sierra is a gold mine, hope you can make it down. April looks good. Looking through the site I believe I have met "BoB" Do you work in Escondido??

kylekai

Observer
The first week in April is Spring Break for many children, and that's the week we're planning to go to DV. That time period should appeal to anyone with children. We were there in 2008, so we're ready to go again. And don't forget about Mojave National, just south of DV http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm. We'll probably stay there the first night.

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
I could probably swing that.

Might be a little tough to fit in around my kids sports....but if we can secure a date soon it would help.
Sounds fun for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz