Pop up Camper run

bob91yj

Resident **************
We saw the museum in Beatty on our way home. Wish we had known about it on Saturday when we had some time to kill. It wasn't open when we went through.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
So I've been dealing with a bad cold and haven't felt like doing much so this is pretty late being posted.

We didn't stop and take a lot of photos on our journey. My better half Susie, who couldn't make the trip, was not pleased that I didn't bring back a ton of pictures. Here's a quick rundown of where we went and some snap shots I took.

Bob and Michelle, (Bob91yj) and I camped on BLM land the first night to meet up with Lori (Waltzing Matilda) on Friday morning. Thursday night was very windy but finally died down before dawn. The weather was perfect after that.

After Lori arrived Friday morning we all headed to Saratoga Springs. If you've never been there it's quite a surprise to see such a large body of water in such a dry environment. Here's what it looks like.

DSC_0003.jpg

After checking out Saratoga Springs we proceeded north on the Harry Wade Route to the pavement, Highway 178, and visited the Ashford Mill ruins. Lori has some shots posted previously in this thread. From there we headed east on Hwy 178 to Greenwater Valley Road and drove a few miles in and found a campsite on desert pavement just off the road.

DSC_0005.jpg

The next morning we continued our trek on Greenwater Road to the ghost town site of Greenwater. We were able to match up the surrounding hills with old photos of the town when it was occupied to visualize how it has changed. When the town was abandoned some of the buildings in Greenwater were moved to Shoshone via the Greenwater Valley Road. That must have been an interesting en devour back then. While we were there we did a group shot at the official Greenwater Monument.

DSC_0011.jpg

Lori, Michelle, Bob, and yours truly.​

After Greenwater we proceeded into Furnace Creek and paid our entrance fee. This is where being a senior and having a senior pass paid off for me. I get in for free.

We headed north on Highway 190 to the Beatty Cutoff and continued on 374 to the Ghost Town of Rhyolite. My traveling companions had never been there and it has been about 15 years since my last visit. I have to admit, with the BLM taking over the site and making "improvements" I think they kinda ruined the ghost town ambiance. The bottle house is completely fenced off, road signs now adorn the landscape, and interpretive displays in front of many of the buildings lent a tourist feel to the place. However, if you've never been it is worth checking out.
DSC_0012.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0014.jpgDSC_0015.jpg

Here's Bob as he seriously considers putting something like this in his backyard. Sort of a glorified dog house.

DSC_0017.jpg

We left Rhyolite and camped on open desert for our last night. I enjoyed meeting up with people I didn't know and spending time getting to know them. We had some nice conversations around the campfire.

I spent time years ago volunteering for the park resources in the southern portion of Death Valley. Bob has volunteered to show us the race track next year. I've never visited that part of the park and look forward to taking him up on it. Thanks to Bob, Michelle, and Lori. It was fun.:clapsmile

bearman512

Adventurer
The wife and I would really enjoy a trip like this!
Lets plan another Popup Expedition to somewhere between Cali and Colorado.
I think it would be great to get a West Coast/4 Corners Popup Pickup camper Rendezvous.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
The wife and I would really enjoy a trip like this!
Lets plan another Popup Expedition to somewhere between Cali and Colorado.
I think it would be great to get a West Coast/4 Corners Popup Pickup camper Rendezvous.

That would be a great idea. I'm tied up the first week of August, but other than that, my next few months are pretty open.

Jack

bob91yj

Resident **************
Not sure when I'd have time before this fall. I could be talked into a Sierra's trip later this summer. We're tied up for the next month or so with a couple of Baja trips and a run out to the SCORE race this weekend.

shanz3n5

Adventurer
is this thread / post still alive. fairly new to the site. after reading some of the post i to do much of my expedition travels solo and would like to change that up. so if there is a group that gets together at times i would be in. btw i am looking at building or having built, an over the cab to front bumper rack (forward of my camper over hang. any ideas ? i want that utility bed on your truck. ive been looking but cant seem to find one that is 54" wide, the width of rear camper base. they all seem to be 49".
anyway....great pics and write up
~john
corona ca

bearman512

Adventurer
is this thread / post still alive. fairly new to the site. after reading some of the post i to do much of my expedition travels solo and would like to change that up. so if there is a group that gets together at times i would be in. btw i am looking at building or having built, an over the cab to front bumper rack (forward of my camper over hang. any ideas ? i want that utility bed on your truck. ive been looking but cant seem to find one that is 54" wide, the width of rear camper base. they all seem to be 49".
anyway....great pics and write up
~john
corona ca

I think I kind of revived the thread.
I was thinking early to mid October as I will be in Vegas for my sons wedding.
Thinking a Toroweap Rendezvous as it is pretty centralized.
I will start another thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior