Very Cold, No Power... Cooking Ideas?

So temperatures are once again plummeting to the -20s tonight here in Wyoming and our power has magically decided to go out. I've got a wood stove crackling and am camping in that room with the roommates, but refuse to go out to find food. Any food ideas over an indoor wood burning stove? We've got one cast iron skillet but it's cold enough in here it won't heat by placing it on the stove...
I'm about ready to bundle up, fire up the JetBoil on the porch and heat a tin of soup.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
For just heating up a can of soup you can always just use the JetBoil indoors - it won't produce enough CO to be an issue - just don't leave it running all night.

The woodstove must be lined or something to not get hot enough to cook on - too bad - although I've found eggs will cook at surprising low temperatures if left long enough covered...

Is the wood good and dry? You can also split the wood into smaller pieces to get a hotter fire. More surface area lets it burn fast and hot.

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
Wrap stuff in foil (veggies, potatoes, corn, etc.) and stick em in there. Stick the pan in there too and get it really hot and then sear some fish/meat off the radiant heat once you pull it out.

Good luck with your pipes. It's been butt cold here too.

Haf-E, the stove is old and pretty decrepit, but it's what we've got for the moment. Luckily power came back on during the day today and we've got space heaters following us around the house...
MakersTeleMark, you're a genius! Totally giving this a shot - love the idea of searing meat on the pan. Several pipes broken but we did what we could. Eh. It's all part of it. Stay warm down there!

6x6pinz

Adventurer
break out the Dutch ovens and use the coals from the fire. Not much you can not make in a quality Dutch oven. If you don't have at least one, shame on you.

Dutch oven is a great idea... just didn't want to brave the cold and go cook outside. Guess I'm lazy and just wanted to hunker around the heat!

6x6pinz

Adventurer
You have a fireplace? DO's work great in them and you don't have to open the damper all the way as the fumes from the coals are not as bad as a fire puts out. Or if you can burn the coals left from the fire can be the fuel for cooking. Have done many meals in the fireplace while at home to check out recipes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier