Is a Land Cruiser right for me?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
One other thought on the 80 vs 4Runner. I had a 98 4Runner (great service and traveling truck) but when if you plan to sleep in it, I could not sit up inside. I love drawer set-ups, etc. But I want to be able to sit up in bed and read, look at maps, etc at night or on rainy days. I have never owned a truck (wagon or truck with a cap) that I could get my bike in with the seat post on.... I can with the LC.

My daughter and I spent New Years Eve camping in our 80 -
View attachment 138939

Just something else to think about.

x2...why my 80 is still drawerless/rear seatless...easy to sleep...load bikes...etc

p nut

butter
One other thought on the 80 vs 4Runner. I had a 98 4Runner (great service and traveling truck) but when if you plan to sleep in it, I could not sit up inside. I love drawer set-ups, etc. But I want to be able to sit up in bed and read, look at maps, etc at night or on rainy days. I have never owned a truck (wagon or truck with a cap) that I could get my bike in with the seat post on.... I can with the LC.

My daughter and I spent New Years Eve camping in our 80 -

Just something else to think about.

I thought that 4Runners and LC's had about the same cabin height? My current 100 is I think around 40". My old 4Runner was about the same, as I could sit up just fine in both. I'm 5'11", btw, so taller folks may have issues. No drawers in either platform.

The LC is wider, so that was helpful when sleeping inside with more than one person.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I never measured, in fact I gave up ever carrying my bike inside with the seat post unless I got a van.... I just tried it in the LC and was surprised. I do remember at 6 feet tall when I sat on the bedding I was not happy in the 4Runner.... but we quit sleeping in the 4Runner because of the width issue. I wonder in if the interior of the 80 is taller than a 100? mine is just over 42 inches in the middle but still has cardboard boxes and moving blankets down (all my bedding is still in the truck and I didn't feel liking taking it out) so maybe another 1/4 inch....

p nut

butter
I never measured, in fact I gave up ever carrying my bike inside with the seat post unless I got a van.... I just tried it in the LC and was surprised. I do remember at 6 feet tall when I sat on the bedding I was not happy in the 4Runner.... but we quit sleeping in the 4Runner because of the width issue. I wonder in if the interior of the 80 is taller than a 100? mine is just over 42 inches in the middle but still has cardboard boxes and moving blankets down (all my bedding is still in the truck and I didn't feel liking taking it out) so maybe another 1/4 inch....

Just went and measured and I'm at ~41" in the rear cargo area. Then it dips down to 39" where the rear vents are. My seats are still up with baby seats, which I didn't feel like taking out, so not sure what the measurement is in the middle.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
My seats are still up with baby seats, which I didn't feel like taking out,
I wouldn't have either. My measurement wasn't dead center, just the tallest part I could reach from rear. But it did spur me to remove the bedding and put the seats back in!

4runnerteq

Explorer
Well, may as well give my 2 cents. Currently own a 97 runner with Sonoran Steel and 285/75/16 BFGs. 33s. Also have a bone stock 04 runner. The 97 averages about 16mpg all aorund. I like the ride and drive with the lift. Dont do any hard core offroading, mainly fire roads & the like. Has a home made drawer system and the few times I have slept in it I removed it & put it under the truck. Now have a M416 trailer to put gear in. When i can get the wife to go we sleep in a tent. Scout trip I let the boys tent and I sleep in truck. The 04 is much more comfortable. Both have leather but the 04 seats are heated. It is a Limited full time 4wd with the v8. 4th gen runners can be had fairly close in price to 3rd gens. Drove the 04 in the snow the other day and it was a little different. Did fine but didnt seam to have the "bite" in the front as the 97. May have been because of the lesser aggressive tire but I think more to do with the full time. if I had thought about I would have locked the center to see the difference. Anyway, I am Toyota biased. Had 91 runner before also. Never had any other. And I work at a Toyota dealer service dept.

nkorep2

What about typical repairs? For example, wranglers have crappy radiators and typically go around 90k, the vent controls go, the ignition switch goes. And I feel like the list goes on and on. Im learning about this head gasket issue with the 4.5. What other common issues exist?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
HG, front axle service (then good for 15 more years), sun roof leaks, EGR (CEL and p401?) a couple of seals on a 20 year truck (oil pump, dist O ring) and the PS pump seem to be the most common possible issues. Like has been stated, baseline fluids, fix major leaks and then see. Mine had 167,000 when I got it a couple months ago, did the fluids (difs, AT, coolant, oil) had the dealer do the oil pump seal, used a turkey baster to suck out PS fluid and refilled and I have driven it 5k miles with nothing else so far. Be careful reading ih8mud, mine is still the original HG and PPH, one day I will get to them ; ) but Mud has me convinced they are going to blow up any day! As I talked to folks before I bought mine, the newest 80s are 15 years old..... hth

86tuning

Adventurer
Be careful reading ih8mud, mine is still the original HG and PPH, one day I will get to them ; ) but Mud has me convinced they are going to blow up any day!

Ain't that the truth. Mud is full of OCD owners that take preventive maintenance to the extreme. Lol.

There are definitely popular issues with the 80-series. Main issue IMO is fuel consumption. These trucks are thirsty!

Klierslc

Explorer
The newest 80 series in the states is 16 years old. Keep that in mind and you won't be disappointed. I have had 3 (93,94, and 97) and have had no serious issues. 93 bought at 150k, wrecked at 170k; 94 bought at 130k, sold at 170k; 97 bought at 165k currently at 210k.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
The newest 80 series in the states is 16 years old. Keep that in mind and you won't be disappointed. I have had 3 (93,94, and 97) and have had no serious issues. 93 bought at 150k, wrecked at 170k; 94 bought at 130k, sold at 170k; 97 bought at 165k currently at 210k.

good advice...

I fell under the 80 series spell a couple of years ago...it is a fun truck but is still a 17 year old (mine is a 1995) pig that struggles on the mountain grades here in AZ while returning a solid 11mpg average...
I love it and won't sell it anytime soon but it isn't my only car...I couldn't take it if I had to DD it...different strokes for you know...

I also agree the MUD prev. maintenance is way overblown...I change my oil...bypassed the PHH, flushed all the fluids when I bought the truck (tranny/diffs/transfer)...base lined the cooling system but I don't take it to the extreme like some of those posts...don't tell anyone but I think my motor oil hasn't been changed in over a year :snorkel:
After watching the mechanic Roger on Chasing Classic Cars reuse motor oil and coolant on a vintage Ferrari I don't worry too much about red or green/dinosaur or synthetic...drive it and enjoy

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Ain't that the truth. Mud is full of OCD owners that take preventive maintenance to the extreme. Lol.

There are definitely popular issues with the 80-series. Main issue IMO is fuel consumption. These trucks are thirsty!

I literally had nightmares about head gaskets blowing after extensive research on mud. Since then I've backed off and treated it like a Toyota.. Something that will run forever!

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
I've owned a 98 Tacoma ext cab, 05 Tacoma ext cab, 97 80, 05 xterra, 05 single cab f250, 05 wrangler,and now an 01 100. Plus some irrelevant 4x4's and every single one of them was perfect for the needs I needed them for at the time. The greatest value of the group was the xterra and my favorite is my current uzj100. Can't really go wrong with any of them, except the overpriced Tacoma, and the worst you can do Is over pay for them. :)

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
Btw my fj80 blew 3 head gaskets by 80k mi. My family was the original owners and it was driven very lightly, however it commuted only 2 miles a day!! Who says low mileage cars are good....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles