The Gubblemobile- Series III from hell.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I spent 8 hours working on the Rover today, and I didn't bolt on anything new. I completely gutted the old chassis, and now I have boxes of brackets and bolts and all sorts of neat things that I will forget what they're for.

After I remover the front axle, I put the old frame on short jackstands. All that remains bolted to it are the engine, transmission, and transfercase. I cut off the frame at the crossmember just behind the transfercase, and now the carcass takes up much less room in the driveway. When I started cutting at the top, I was getting a lot of good, thick metal. I was really thinking I was screwing up a decent frame. Then I got to the bottom, and I tore through the rusted scale with my bare hands. Kinda sad- rusted through from the inside out and no way to tell without a very detailed search with a hammer and a screwdriver. Some spots were good, some were tissue paper. At any rate, I'm glad I opted to replace the frame. A guy should be by later this month to buy the remaining parts on the chassis, and then it's off to the recyclers with the rest.

If the frame wasn't scary enough, what I saw on the front axle stopped me cold. One of the ubolts was too long, so a previous owner had stacked about 10 washers on each side. I guess he ran out of washers, so he jammed a screwdriver between the axle and the ubolt and cranked it down. Somehow I don't think that's in the green bible.

Well, that should be enough wrenching to tide me over for a while. My hands are seriously ripped up, and I need some time to heal.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
so he jammed a screwdriver between the axle and the ubolt and cranked it down. Somehow I don't think that's in the green bible.

No, actually, that procedure is in the Green Bible.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Wow, there literally is everything in that book. Even scary, hack-job repairs. I guess you can adjust shim height by choosing different screwdrivers.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Funny I should mention the Green Bible. I was up in Fairbanks for my sister-in-law's college graduation, and we dropped by the Barnes and Noble to kill some time. I don't know why, but I stopped by the automotive section. They are usually worthless for vehicle specific books, especially for Land Rovers, but there was a Series III Green Bible on the shelf. The only Land Rover book of any kind in the store. Now my library is one book larger and theirs is one book smaller.

Today I started tearing apart the scary front axle. As I mentioned, there was a screwdriver stuck under one of the ubolts as a spacer. The swivels balls are in seriously bad shape (groooves worn in them) and I was expecting a load of grease in them instead of oil. Those seals wouldn't have held much in or out. As it turned out, there was nothing in the swivel balls but the faint residue of oil. The bearings are pitted and noisy, but not chunky, and the axle shaft I've taken out looks to be in good shape. The hubs look decent, and the spindle wasn't too bad either. Despite the obvious lack of common sense and horrible maintenance practices of the previous owner, I still have some good stuff to work with.

I have almost all of the parts I need to rebuild the swivel balls and hubs, thanks to some eBay shopping, and a few small bits and pieces should round it out. I found a Range Rover 10 spline diff locally for fairly cheap, so I'll probably rebuild that and slap it in.

My best guesstimate is that I'll have a rolling chassis by the time the snow flies, and if I'm lucky I'll have the engine/transmission/transfercase installed. Then I'll roll it outside and cover it up for a long winter's nap. I need the garage space.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Well, the screwdriver was pretty rusty and the ubolts were pretty dinged up, so I took the conservative route and ordered new ubolts and have a brand new screwdriver to replace it. I went with a Craftsman screwdriver over the stock Stanley. The Craftsman handle is a little harder rubber, which should improve steering response.

I also ordered new seals and other goodies for the front axle from British Pacific. I included a note about how their decision to help TeriAnn affected my decision to order from them. That's the kind of business I like to support.

The front springs are in better shape than the rears, perhaps due to the constant oil bath they received. I'll pull them apart and clean them up anyway. I don't have the plastic right now, so I'll probably just concentrate on the disassembly and refurbishment.

My tie rod and drag link have no grease fitting on them, but they seem to be in somewhat decent shape and more or less straight. I defer upgrading until after the steering is sorted out.

Now all I need is some time to get some work done.

revor

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
Well, the screwdriver was pretty rusty and the ubolts were pretty dinged up, so I took the conservative route and ordered new ubolts and have a brand new screwdriver to replace it. I went with a Craftsman screwdriver over the stock Stanley. The Craftsman handle is a little harder rubber, which should improve steering response.

I would have thought that a build of this magnitude would have warranted at the very least a Snap-On if not perhaps a period Sheffield!

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
revor said:
I would have thought that a build of this magnitude would have warranted at the very least a Snap-On if not perhaps a period Sheffield!
This isn't Mercedesrover's build. I have a budget to stick to. I'm sure I will get a load of flak from some because it isn't "correct", but I'm more concerned about performance. Besides, I was concerned that the Snap-On's durometer rating was a little too high.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I've broken a couple screwdrivers on the trail, even a Snap-On one. I've since upgraded to an all-steel pry bar. It's increased my un-sprung weight but the peace of mind knowing I won't break another it worth it.

02021295-lg.jpg

revor

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
This isn't Mercedesrover's build. I have a budget to stick to. I'm sure I will get a load of flak from some because it isn't "correct", but I'm more concerned about performance. Besides, I was concerned that the Snap-On's durometer rating was a little too high.

I understand, and seeing as the vehicle will be part Jeep I suppose that sticking a Sheffield in there would be wasteful just to appease purists..

I dunno about the crowbar thing. Wouldn't it place undue burdon on the steering? Of course Jim is using a Scout box so that shouldn't be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne