The Gubblemobile- Series III from hell.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I'm so confused, I think I'll just let you guys decide for me.:confused:

To be honest, the only thing I know now is that it will be running on leaf springs. I can't do another major modification. Ed's plan of longer front springs does have me intrigued, though...

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Mike, just drink the parabolic coolaid and enjoy the rover. It's really not a big deal and surely you have more important things to do on it.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Well, with the amount of welding aka rover is already going to do (motor mounts, power steering...) and the current state of the frame (more or less stripped), now is the time to contemplate such foolishness.

Not a huge priority at the moment. I stopped by today and started cleaning some parts to prep for paint. Hopefully by the time he gets back, I'll have enough done that we can push forward with the major stuff.

Snagger

Explorer
As said above, the longer the spring, the flatter it is for a given ride height, and the more compliant and smoother it becomes. The greater the camber of a spring, the worse its compliance and ride...

aka rover

Adventurer
The longer and softer the spring also comes spring wrap or axle wrap .. As some call it. There's a trade off to every upgrade.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Anti-wrap bar. Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

But yes, axle wrap is a GREAT way to destroy a set of springs on a daily driven rig...in a month.

rovers2a

interesting read! do you guys think it would have been easier and cheeper to purchased a disco I, remove the body , sold what could be sold and fitted the 88 to the disco chassis?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Looking back, there were probably a lot of routes I should have gone. I doubt I would have gone the hybrid path (i.e. sticking a Series body on a colier chassis).

First off, I should have never bought the original pile. I have a wife and 3 kids, and an 88 was never going to carry them and whatever gear they require/desire.

Secondly, I probably should have gone with a diesel powerplant, either of Land Rover or Mercedes origin. Just would have been simpler in the long run.

A lot of money was spent following those two paths that could have gone in other directions. In the years since the start, the number of conversions and adapters available has grown substantially. When I started, it was more or less all custom.

Right now I'm using my limited free time to clean up and paint some minor parts until aka rover gets back from saving the planet from the Mayans.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Looking back, there were probably a lot of routes I should have gone. I doubt I would have gone the hybrid path (i.e. sticking a Series body on a colier chassis).

First off, I should have never bought the original pile. I have a wife and 3 kids, and an 88 was never going to carry them and whatever gear they require/desire.

Secondly, I probably should have gone with a diesel powerplant, either of Land Rover or Mercedes origin. Just would have been simpler in the long run.

A lot of money was spent following those two paths that could have gone in other directions. In the years since the start, the number of conversions and adapters available has grown substantially. When I started, it was more or less all custom.

Right now I'm using my limited free time to clean up and paint some minor parts until aka rover gets back from saving the planet from the Mayans.

Dont worry to much about it Mike. Hind site is always 20 20 and we learn as we go, you now know a lot more than you did then. Its great to have a project to keep your brain active. I sympathize with you about needing more space in the rig. My wife and I have 9 kids. We are down to 3 at present as they grow up and move on. I purchased the big 15 Passenger E350 4x4 to deal with the space issue. Now as the numbers go down the vehicle size is as well. I hope to use my 109 this summer in Denali camping and fly fishing. To bad I will be gone back to work when Ed gets back but I hope to see him in April on my next break.

Regards

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles