Vehicle Recommendations....

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Hello Everyone,
I am interested in acquiring (through either building or purchasing) a new vehicle and would like some recommendations. Professionally, I am a publisher, I publish a bimonthly US history magazine. To promote my magazine, I travel around the country to reenactments and living history events where I sell subscriptions, back issues, advertising and other goods. I am planning on being on the road a bit more in 2013 and 2014 and am looking for the right vehicle to do this in.

I know I don't really need an expedition vehicle, but I really like them and I absolutely need 4wd as I have been stuck at different events back when I had a 2wd vehicle. I have considered a class b rv and that is still an option but it isn't ideal.

My requirements are a vehicle that I can travel around the US in,have a bathroom and shower, a place to sleep and cook and an area I can work on my laptop. I don't need anything huge, at most it will be my wife and I but mostly it will just be me.

Some of the vehicles I am considering are:

Ford F350 with XPCamper - this would be the most expensive option I am considering, benefit of it is that I would have a functional truck that I could use even without the camper on it. I do not like that you can't access the sleeping area from the truck can.

Tiger Adventure Vehicle - these are priced a little lower than the above option but still very expensive, and they just look like a cheap rv to me, of course I haven't seen one in person...

Sportsmobile 4x4 - these vans are a little lower priced than the Tiger but both look really cool and I can also design my own floor plan. This is really appealing to me.

Four Wheel Camper, Hawk Self-Contained - I currently have a 2007 Toyota Tundra and have long wanted to build it into more of an expedition vehicle. The four wheel camper and some upgrades to the tundra is a viable option. Though I wish there were more images / floor plans online showing the interior of the hawk self contained.

Adventure Trailers - Flippac - this was something I was seriously considering a couple of months ago before I decided to travel more. It would be the cheapest option but it lacks a bathroom and shower and to me seems less secure if I had to sleep in a Walmart parking lot or such on the way to an event.

I will say that I need some storage room in the vehicle, if I am attending an indoor show, then my cargo consists of a few large rubbermaid tubs holding magazines and goods. If I am attending a reenactment, then I would be pulling my 6x10 cargo trailer with everything I need in it.

I look forward to hearing your opinions. If money were no option, I would get an Earth Roamer, but unfortunately, it isn't in the cards... Yet.

Thank you,
Jason

Rot Box

Explorer
The four wheel camper and some upgrades to the tundra is a viable option. Though I wish there were more images / floor plans online showing the interior of the hawk self contained.

This option makes the most sense to me. You already have a great vehicle to start with however (depending on your bed length) it sounds like you need a little extra storage so I would consider the 8' Granby and leave the tail/end gate down. Stan @FWC is a member here on the forum I would highly recommend sending him a PM with questions about the camper options/floor plans.

Andrew

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I agree with Rot, keeping your Tundra and adding and FWC sounds like the best plan. If you get it all put together and find that you just aren't feeling it then you haven't bankrupted yourself and you can sell the FWC and go down another route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior