Rubber vs Metal Valve Stems

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Don't most modern vehicles with TPS have metal valve stems anyway? I know my '07 4runner does.

Since the TPS is in the stem, do they even make TPS stems in rubber?

And FWIW, I'm not a big fan of TPS anyway. If it actually told you the pressure, or told you which tire was low, it might be worthwhile but as it is, it's just a PITA. I have a set of FJ Cruiser wheels w/o TPS sensors, that's what I'm going to put on after Winter is over.

My Colorado (08) has the useless TPMS as well --a tire is low, guess which one system. But that varies. We rented a Dodge Avenger that told us what the pressure was in each tire by pushing a button on the dash. My understanding is the full-size Silverado has a similar system.

There are after market systems that will remotely tell you pressure for each tire also. They seem to start in the $250 range for 4-tire systems but are available for 2-4-6-more. I considered buying one for a family member's vehicle. The cost of the system would be less than the replacement of a tire or two that's been trashed by letting them run too low.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There are after market systems that will remotely tell you pressure for each tire also. They seem to start in the $250 range for 4-tire systems but are available for 2-4-6-more. I considered buying one for a family member's vehicle. The cost of the system would be less than the replacement of a tire or two that's been trashed by letting them run too low.

My thought on TPMS is this: I bought my first 4x4 in 1979. Since then I've owned about 16 4 wheeled vehicles (and about 10 motorcycles.) Not one of them had TPMS until I got my 07 4runner. I figure I got along just fine without TPMS in the past, I don't really need it now.

Having said that, if there was a way to put TPMS on my motorcycle, I would do it because while a low tire can cause an inconvenience in a 4 wheeled vehicle, on a motorcycle it can be fatal. I would definitely like to know if my MC tires get low.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
IMO, in addition to being annoying, those TPMS are just another failed attempt at manufacturers trying to make up for folks' lack of common sense. I check my tire pressure with a $4 gauge before and after every outing because my experience tells me to. I always hear my neighbor complaining about their tire pressure sensor light coming on if they do something as simple as drive up to Park City, just the change in elevation will set it off.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Well not to continue the sidetrack but I've been in a few late model Chevy vehicles (Cobalt and Silverado) that did in fact tell you the pressure in each tire. I thought that was pretty cool. But it IS more electronic wiz-bangery to fail.

hoser

Explorer
Don't most modern vehicles with TPS have metal valve stems anyway? I know my '07 4runner does.

Since the TPS is in the stem, do they even make TPS stems in rubber?
Some vehicles with TPMS have rubber valve stems. And some have no TPMS sensor in the wheel but rather use the ABS sensors to detect a difference in tire diameter/pressure.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I like the TPMS systems in the family vehicles. The wife and kids would never check pressure or even look at tires if it were not for the systems. Keeps those annoying phone calls from happening "I have a flat on the freeway, come get me". I just from my compressor to the garage and put an electronic air gauge on the shelf for them to use so I don't have to deal with it.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
My thought on TPMS is this: I bought my first 4x4 in 1979. Since then I've owned about 16 4 wheeled vehicles (and about 10 motorcycles.) Not one of them had TPMS until I got my 07 4runner. I figure I got along just fine without TPMS in the past, I don't really need it now.

Having said that, if there was a way to put TPMS on my motorcycle, I would do it because while a low tire can cause an inconvenience in a 4 wheeled vehicle, on a motorcycle it can be fatal. I would definitely like to know if my MC tires get low.

I know this is really old, but if they didn't then, they do now..

1stDeuce

Explorer
I've destroyed both steel and rubber valve stems in the rocks, but too I prefer the rubber ones. Be careful when buying from the Land of China! I've had some that rotted and cracked apart in less than 5 years.

Using ATV length ones on rock crawlers is a great idea!!

As for TPMS, I run $38 setups off Amazon (now only $31!) on two of my trucks and a $25 clearance special Schumacher system I found at Walmart on our Envoy. The Envoy system saved me a $175 tire on a cross country trip when we ran something over (?) and the tire was going low pretty quick. I didn't hear it leaking at all, nor was I aware that we had run anything over that might cause a leak. The alarm went off when it dropped below 30psi and we watched as it dropped to 10PSI before we could get to an exit to get off the highway. Even at 10psi, I couldn't feel anything funny. Without TPMS, I have no doubt I would driven until the tire was making flat noise, at which point it would have been smoked and I would have had to change it right there on a busy interstate AND buy a new tire...

I steal one of the amazon setups and put it on our snowmobile trailer when we go on trips in the winter. You'll NEVER detect a trailer tire going down until it's shredded and throwing chunks, and sometimes not even then... I do the same when I pull my gooseneck out of town, as I can't see its tires either when going straight and there's LOTS of straight compared to turns out here in the WWW. Tires are expensive, and cheap TPMS costs a LOT less than replacing even one tire!

The big sensors are not real off-road friendly, but everything is a trade-off and I have yet to damage one, even plowing snow and getting stuck in snowbanks all winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz