Rubber vs Metal Valve Stems

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I know this may turn out to be a "Ford vs Chevy" or "ARB vs Eaton Locker" discusion but here goes.

I've got my set of Craig's List Hummer 2 Wheels and just had them checked for runout, roundness and balance and they look good. So tires are in my future. My truck has metal valve stems on it right now.

I can see that metal stems may be a plus as they won't "rot away" but I'm sure I'm not going to get more than 3-4 years on a set of tires anyways. I suppose there is JUST the right size rock (golden bullet) that could get thrown up and hit the valve stem and a rubber stem would flex and the end of the metal stem would get bent enough to prevent proper interface with an air chuck. But a rock any bigger or hitting any faster would seem likely to snap either one. I'm not going to be doing any extreme rock crawling in my full size, extended cab diesel pickup. :safari-rig:

I found these low profile metal stems that seem to remove themselves from most possible dangers: http://www.gemplers.com/product/171...=171398&ef_id=UMNukwAAHPBavEB120130105152831s

So thoughts? Comments? Philosophical musings one "THE" proper/ultimate expedition valve stem that will never break, give me 10 mpg better fuel economy and make me look like a dashing movie star? :ylsmoke:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I no longer use the metal stems. It is true that the stem of metal is durable, but you are only as good as the weakest link. The nut and gasket. I had more problems with leaking gaskets and nuts that would loosen over time. Granted this was a long term problem, and easily fixed by tightening them periodically and replacing rubber washers, but in the long run a good set of low profile rubber stems has served me better.
I keep a box of shortys on the shelf. Most tire shops install stems that are way too long , IMO.

I keep my rigs long term. If you only keep them 3 years or so, either would be adequate I suspect. Still I would opt for the simplicity of the rubber stem myself.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I keep my rigs long term. If you only keep them 3 years or so, either would be adequate I suspect. Still I would opt for the simplicity of the rubber stem myself.

Oh I plan to keep the rig a long time (at least until they make diesels without smog junk on them! LOL!). But the tires will only last me 3-4 years so they can get fresh rubber stems at that interval. But shorty rubber stems does sound like a good idea.

Edit: Four shorty valve stems on Amazon $3.99 + $7.43 shipping! :Wow1:
Bag of 100: $21 + $7.00 shipping. Just like daddy always said, "It pays to shop around!".

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
One snapped off metal valve stem was a fluke, two on the same day was a problem. Went back to the rubber ones 10 years ago and have never looked back.

Skip the fancy chrome sleeves on the rubber ones as well. I've had the chrome sleeves cause problems getting an air chuck on the valve stem.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Metal valve stems are a PITA, bend/break easy-replacement on trail is PITA-

Rubber stems take a lotta abuse and I carry 5 spares anyway-easy replace on trail-and they'll last YEARS !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

hoser

Explorer
Can't do this with a metal valve stem. Not sure how well it really works though. I've read mixed reviews.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
after loosing a couple of the rubber variety on my trucks in heavy mud, I went to the metal stems and have had no issues. I even broke one of the rubber ones off when I hit it with my foot while trying to get some things out of the bed of my truck. Never an issue with the metal ones on any of my service trucks, military trucks or offroad vehicles. Even our smart car has metal stems in it, of course that is for the TPM system though.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Here is a common sense experiment, drop a 5-10 pound rock on a steel stem and a rubber stem and see which fares better.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: One of the MFG is AME-INT.-"Tire Valve Tool"

Hoser... I didn't know such a tool existed! Thanks for the lead:exclaim:

Duck soup, as long as the temp is above freezing, or be sure and keep the tool "warm"--

RedF

Adventurer
I've been using stubby, "ATV length" rubber valve stems. They are tucked in very close to the wheel minimizing the chance for damage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Don't most modern vehicles with TPS have metal valve stems anyway? I know my '07 4runner does.

Since the TPS is in the stem, do they even make TPS stems in rubber?

And FWIW, I'm not a big fan of TPS anyway. If it actually told you the pressure, or told you which tire was low, it might be worthwhile but as it is, it's just a PITA. I have a set of FJ Cruiser wheels w/o TPS sensors, that's what I'm going to put on after Winter is over.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The TPMS xmitter is part of the valve stem assembly and is in place just under the stem--

Don't most modern vehicles with TPS have metal valve stems anyway? I know my '07 4runner does.

Since the TPS is in the stem, do they even make TPS stems in rubber?

And FWIW, I'm not a big fan of TPS anyway. If it actually told you the pressure, or told you which tire was low, it might be worthwhile but as it is, it's just a PITA. I have a set of FJ Cruiser wheels w/o TPS sensors, that's what I'm going to put on after Winter is over.

Using the AEV Procal Module, I've disabled my entire TPMS system, so there's no dash warnings/beeps/red flags, for extraneous reasons

Most of the TPMS systems are a FLUKE, just a federal requirement for vehicle sale-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke