D2 traction control VS CDL being locked

AzRover

Observer
My worthless opinion

I know I'm late getting in on this horse beating, but here is my worthless opinion.

Each traction aid has it's advantages and disadvantages in various terrain conditions. Traction control works well in many conditions, but I don't like it in rocky terrain. Spinning wheels over rough rocks damages tires. Having 3 locked differentials work's well in the rocks, but not on ice, (you can tend to slide sideways), where TC works well.

With CDL only, it's easy to get stuck, as I did in my old Trail duster. That's when I added LSD's to both axels. Then I still managed to get stuck in deep mud with cdl locked, and LSD's.

When climbing a steep, wet, rocky hill in the Trail duster, I had problems when the twisting of the frame caused the CDL to unlock. Only when I realized what happened, and I locked the CDL, forward movement continued.

I added the CDL to my Disco, and have noticed that the TC doesn't activate very often. But when it does, it gets me moving. The combination is like LSD's in both axils. When the ABS system acts up, you still have some extra traction.

I have not been stuck in the Disco, even with TC only. But I have spun the tires on rocks, causing some damage to the tread. I also more careful driving the Disco, I don't want to break more expensive parts.

Having extra traction options is a good thing. It will keep you moving under more conditions.

Steve

BirchHill

goat farmer
Dear god please lock this thread

What, before I come back? Rnphoto, I think your a nice guy so take this question in the right perspective but, did Bill from GBR explain how he figured the diffs are only good for 40 minutes? Not questioning you or wanting to endanger our cease fire just wanting to understand the statement.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
What, before I come back? Rnphoto, I think your a nice guy so take this question in the right perspective but, did Bill from GBR explain how he figured the diffs are only good for 40 minutes? Not questioning you or wanting to endanger our cease fire just wanting to understand the statement.

He explained it as "a calculation of wear on the spider gear". You'd have to talk to him to get the full answer. Listening to that guy is like a customer service rep understanding what a aircraft engineer is saying. He said 40 minutes of fully engaged TC just spinning a wheel. Could be like 400 bursts of 6 second spins, or 40 minutes all at once. He explained that LR beefed up the diffs for TC enabled Rovers, but that they are still not strong enough(as seen in my DII's blown front diff).

Howski

The center shaft/pin in the stock diff carrier is the weak spot. Over use of the TC and bouncing the tires can cause a great deal of stress on this center shaft, causing the carrier to fail. I blew up the carrier in the rear diff of my old DII not even bouncing (see below) it around on the rocks. I am very light on the throttle as well, this just a plain weak point of the Rover diffs.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I haven't heard specifically about this 40 minute mark but I can almost gaurintee this is the part of the differential Bill is refering to. On trail rides in Florida the TC activated quite often in the sand/mud so perhaps this extended time (adding time towards the mentioned 40 minute mark) using the TC led to failure when not a great deal of stress was put on the diff. I would highly suggest looking over GBR's website as they have a great amount of information on Rover diffs.

BirchHill

goat farmer
He explained it as "a calculation of wear on the spider gear". You'd have to talk to him to get the full answer. Listening to that guy is like a customer service rep understanding what a aircraft engineer is saying. He said 40 minutes of fully engaged TC just spinning a wheel. Could be like 400 bursts of 6 second spins, or 40 minutes all at once. He explained that LR beefed up the diffs for TC enabled Rovers, but that they are still not strong enough(as seen in my DII's blown front diff).
Interesting. I guess that explains the trickle of diff failures that come across the forums but, it doesnt seem as prevalent as the front diff failures on the 100 series land cruisers when used off road. I guess land rover got it halfway right.

Howski

Interesting. I guess that explains the trickle of diff failures that come across the forums but, it doesnt seem as prevalent as the front diff failures on the 100 series land cruisers when used off road. I guess land rover got it halfway right.

I tend to think a solid axle would generally be stronger than IFS, regardless of make

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
The center shaft/pin in the stock diff carrier is the weak spot. Over use of the TC and bouncing the tires can cause a great deal of stress on this center shaft, causing the carrier to fail. I blew up the carrier in the rear diff of my old DII not even bouncing (see below) it around on the rocks. I am very light on the throttle as well, this just a plain weak point of the Rover diffs.

View attachment 142468 View attachment 142469

I haven't heard specifically about this 40 minute mark but I can almost gaurintee this is the part of the differential Bill is refering to. On trail rides in Florida the TC activated quite often in the sand/mud so perhaps this extended time (adding time towards the mentioned 40 minute mark) using the TC led to failure when not a great deal of stress was put on the diff. I would highly suggest looking over GBR's website as they have a great amount of information on Rover diffs.

Yes, that is what snapped in mine.

Eniam17

Adventurer
RNPhoto, do you guys have snow up in VT? What exactly were you doing when the diff blew - I was wondering if you were on snow/ice w/ the TC on a lot.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
We HAD snow, just melted today. I went off roading during the day Sunday, all was fine. Was heading to my place from my girlfriend's and had her climb this snowy hill, I told her not to spin the tires too much so the grass underneath would be okay. She spun the tires for a couple seconds or less, I told her we couldn't make it. She put it in reverse to turn around...CLUNK. Fast forward, diff pouring fluid and a hole from something being shot out of the diff.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I've got a replacement diff en route. We'll see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior