D2 traction control VS CDL being locked

brushogger

Explorer
I recently read, under new presidential order, you will be required to have a CDL to drive a vehicle with a CDL and TC unless equipped with ACE. Any BCU or ECU alterations must be approved by the EPA. Any CDL equipped vehicle must also have a MAF, TPS, and IAC along with TC. Ouch! I think I just got hit in the eye by a flying acronym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11b4v

Adventurer
finally installed

Finally installed mine yesterday, took about 5 hours total including a run to Ace Hardware for an M8 nylock and 3/16 rivits. other than cramming the cables in place, not difficult at all. Got mine from a salvage yard $100 shipped.

Did my test drive afterward on the 4wd trail/mud pit behind the neighborhood. With lots of recent rain here in the SE, everything was extra muddy.

The area being relatively flat, I didnt think I would be able to test/utilize the new CDL until I was heading home, I got hemmped up in a 45 degree angle across a trail with deep, muddy tracks.

My LR was in the left track, my LF was in the right track with the TC whirring away, RR spinning away and the truck going nowhere. Engaged the CDL and BAM! I was moving!

Way cool, and wished I had video'd.

Im a believer.

Last edited:

BirchHill

goat farmer
Did you use just the locking snout or replace the whole transfer case? If you just did the snout was it from a D1 or 2?

stonepa

Observer
Tc is only as good as your brake system. Cheap pads and poorly lubed caliper slides gets you the kind of performance shown in the video.

Here is a video of a properly working tc system vs a cdl equiped jeep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBg4-dI05A

I would agree. I have made the CDL conversion on my 2000 D2 but the traction control definitely works as well in cross axle situations or deep mud. The video doesn't look at all how my truck works with the CDL not engaged. Even with the CDL off my truck will make it through most everything. I added the CDL conversion to save the wear and tear on my brakes due to the traction control. With a lot of use the traction control really heats things up and the smell can be a bit powerful, with the cooked swamp mud and all.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Well TC only gets you so far, then you shoot a hole in your front diff! That's what happened to me last night, damn. Bill at GBR explained it pretty well to me, explaining that a LR diff has the ability to withstand about 40 minutes straight of TC working. He talked me out of air lockers and into an LSD in the front and rear. He thinks TC is great and CDL is a useful addition, and that one of the benefits of CDL is that TC comes on less and saves wear on your diffs. He has two d2s, both with TT LSDs, not lockers. If Bill believes CDL, TC, and LSDs are good enough, I trust him. The guy knows his stuff.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359433005.413611.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The (shallow) depth of analysis here is frustrating.

Birch, can you comment on the durability of the LT230 when subjected to severe off road duty without the CDL locked?

PA169050.jpg
Just to be clear, that's the center diff from my wife's '97 and had nothing to do with off-roading with CDL not engaged.

Last edited:

11b4v

Adventurer
reply to BirchHill

BirchHill,

I have an 00 DII., all I had to do was add the CDL shifter/diff lock and cable, etc. my TC was already equiped.

RNPhoto, I might be more inclined to use the CDL with those words from Bill / GBR.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
BirchHill,

I have an 00 DII., all I had to do was add the CDL shifter/diff lock and cable, etc. my TC was already equiped.

RNPhoto, I might be more inclined to use the CDL with those words from Bill / GBR.

I think it should be locked anytime you're driving off of pavement, i.e. on dirt roads as well. Much better control on loose surfaces with it locked.

11b4v

Adventurer
this weekend

It just so happens that Im spending an extended weekend off-road in the North Georgia mountains with three particular old, tough jeep trails in mind.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
It just so happens that I'm definitely jealous, there's not enough off road areas in Vermont

stonepa

Observer

Well TC only gets you so far, then you shoot a hole in your front diff! That's what happened to me last night, damn. Bill at GBR explained it pretty well to me, explaining that a LR diff has the ability to withstand about 40 minutes straight of TC working. He talked me out of air lockers and into an LSD in the front and rear. He thinks TC is great and CDL is a useful addition, and that one of the benefits of CDL is that TC comes on less and saves wear on your diffs. He has two d2s, both with TT LSDs, not lockers. If Bill believes CDL, TC, and LSDs are good enough, I trust him. The guy knows his stuff.

Your truck looks a lot like my 2000. View attachment 142356View attachment 142357

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing

Your truck looks a lot like my 2000. View attachment 142356View attachment 142357

Can't see the attachments, maybe they didn't upload correctly?

stonepa

Observer
PB100018.jpgP6290035.jpg

Hopefully the upload works this time. For some reason you had to click on the attachment to get them to so in the previous post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne