Axle choice questions for diy. Grand Caravan/Town & Country vs Toyota Sienna

Eric06Rubi

Observer
Call redneck trailer supply or another supplier in your area. IIRC I got a 3500# dexter axle w/ brakes for 260.00
built to My specs. Less work in the longrun. and as long as Your measurements are right, no cutting or welding involved.
I had mine delivered less the spring perches and lower shock mounts(came in a bag with the axle) Too much goofing around trying to get a minivan axle to fit and work right. JMHO tho

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Call redneck trailer supply or another supplier in your area. IIRC I got a 3500# dexter axle w/ brakes for 260.00
built to My specs. Less work in the longrun. and as long as Your measurements are right, no cutting or welding involved.
I had mine delivered less the spring perches and lower shock mounts(came in a bag with the axle) Too much goofing around trying to get a minivan axle to fit and work right. JMHO tho

I agree, no more junk stuff unless it's free. When i first read your post, i wasn't sure what was going to follow the redneck trailer part...lol.
So far, online is best price for axles in my area. Still not sure about 2k vs 3500k.
Just waiting for uncle Sam to tell me how much of my money he will be giving back...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
It is amazing how quickly trailers start to get heavy. My CDN M101 is rated at 700# stock. I have added a lid (60#), an RTT (150#), a battery box with a group 24 and some other stuff (60#+), an extended tongue, supports, struts, jacks, and bigger wheels and tires. Probably another 100# there. Once you add in gear, water, propane, fuel cans, food etc...you can get way close to 2000# without even trying in a 4x6 trailer.

Do the 3500# if you are going steel frame and box... do it once, do it right, and put an axle that either comes with brakes or can be retrofitted for electric brakes. I am going to swap out the backing plates on mine this year for ones with brakes.

Happy building!!

deepmud

Adventurer
I would say there is something to be said for "Junk Yard" - it's purpose built to last 100,000 miles or more. My trailer is built from "junk yard parts" that had 180,000 miles on it when I started. I've run 15-20k on it since, I'll be hard-pressed to add another 10k in my lifetime, but it's holding up great. I like the semi-trailing, anti-sway design of the seienna you posted, but I like the Dodge design too.

Figure a mini van with 8 people and luggage on board, some tongue weight from a travel trailer - the axle has to have a pretty impressive load rating.

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
It is amazing how quickly trailers start to get heavy. My CDN M101 is rated at 700# stock. I have added a lid (60#), an RTT (150#), a battery box with a group 24 and some other stuff (60#+), an extended tongue, supports, struts, jacks, and bigger wheels and tires. Probably another 100# there. Once you add in gear, water, propane, fuel cans, food etc...you can get way close to 2000# without even trying in a 4x6 trailer.

Do the 3500# if you are going steel frame and box... do it once, do it right, and put an axle that either comes with brakes or can be retrofitted for electric brakes. I am going to swap out the backing plates on mine this year for ones with brakes.

Happy building!!

Good advice, thank you. I will probably post a few ideas today or tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles