Tips for Stealth Overnight Parking and Building a Stealth Vehicle

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Dude, you are the one hating on other peoples' way of life. Think about that for a minute.

I wish I had the freedom to do what you're doing. But I have a wife, two dogs, house, good career. Do any of those things make me a bad person? Because that's the vibe you're giving off.

Really happy that you are having some great life experiences. But if you think that you're somehow better than me because you live in a box truck and "travel with the seasons", while I work hard to support my family and travel on the weekends/a few weeks a year... well go screw.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Dude, you are the one hating on other peoples' way of life. Think about that for a minute.

I wish I had the freedom to do what you're doing. But I have a wife, two dogs, house, good career. Do any of those things make me a bad person? Because that's the vibe you're giving off.

Really happy that you are having some great life experiences. But if you think that you're somehow better than me because you live in a box truck and "travel with the seasons", while I work hard to support my family and travel on the weekends/a few weeks a year... well go screw.

"Dude" you are not helping anything with your last comment. He has a life he want's to do. I know several millionaires. Some chose to flaunt their wealth, some chose to drive their old '86 Toyota 4X4 PUs until they die.
It is their life, let them do as they like.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I suspect that there is a subtle difference involved.

I will use this quote to illustrate my point (and not to point fingers or anything like that):

I believe that a statement like this: "I wish I had the freedom to do what you're doing. But I have a wife, two dogs, house, good career." would have been written "I have the freedom that I personally cherish with my wife, two dogs, house, good career." - it's just that people tend not to chat or write that way, even though it is what they likely feel inside.

IOW, Wanderer's point is that if one has to add a proviso like 'I wish I could' when describing their lifestyle, then they might not be authentic to themselves, and Wanderer is pointing out that his personal lifestyle is authentic to himself.

It's a subtle point and I can see it coming across as a criticism or insult. I might be mistaken, I might be reading too much into it, but that is what I got out of it.

In any case, Happy New Year to all and may we all find our personal peace and freedom in the coming year.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
Everyone, thanks for sharing your views on traveling and what works for you.

I think Wanderer has a lot to offer to all of us. Personally, I would like to hear more your adventures in the Tacoma. Please don't feel slated when someone has a difference in opinions.

Back in '85 as I was winding up a 6 month solo cross country bicycle trip, I saw a bumper sticker on the back of an old beat up bucket of bolts vehicle that said "Go Home Now". I was as far south as one could get in the US-Key West, Florida. An old man and his wife invited me to stay on their property in an old travel trailer sitting in their drive way.

I was 24 years old and was completely restless. I just wanted to work and travel for the rest of my life. The old man was a retired medical doctor and he berated me on my decision for being a wanderer. Mind you, this was just an opinion. After reading the bumper sticker, I left the trailer early in the morning after writing the old man my piece of mind.

I flew back to Minnesota and called my parents on the eve of Christmas to pick me up at the airport.

30 years later I am still a little restless. Married with 2 boys. We do a lot of weekend trips. Every year we load up the van for a month and drive all over making memories. My wife flies back and forth to the Philippines to visit her family. Sometimes we all go.

I believe we are all a little restless and getting away from our home base is good for the soul.

zb39

Adventurer
Almost everywhere in America is becoming, "private property", fenced, gated, posted and restricted. Fifty years ago, you could just pull of of the side of a road and sleep at night. Now you are sure to be hassled by the local red-neck cop. Make one little mistake and it then escalates.

All national, state and regional parks now charge to enter and camp. They used to be free to enter. National forest are now putting up posted, no camping signs everywhere. Most public parking lots are doing the same.

You call that freedom? You want people to buy from your companies and then you want them to pay to park their camper on down the road. If I had a choice, I'd run you out of business for your arrogant and greedy crap. But, I realize that this madness will continue to escalate until there are no free places let in America to sleep free at night.

Stealth Camping is NOT the answer! It is only a stop-gap solution. It is just my way of working around the madness caused by people like you. And this madness is only just beginning.

And people like you LOVE it...
I'm pretty sure people like me are not your problem.

sourdough

Adventurer
Thanks for taking the time Wanderer, I enjoyed your posts. For the rest…..
STFU_zps46696dcd.jpg

unkamonkey

Explorer
I tried to get it back on track. Just because we are entitled to an opinion doesn't mean you should share it.Especially if it totally off topic and insulting to the OP.
As my mother told me "Fools names and fools faces are oft seen in public places."

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I didn't see a lot of insulting posts about the OP in the last few pages here... I did see people ask what he did during his trip, and disagree with his opinion (respectfully, too). Then the OP got aggressive and confrontational about assumptions he was making about the posts. Most of Wanderer's rants were actually pretty ironic, as he crapped on society as a whole and on people who live their life differently from him.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I tried to stand up for him as I do some of the same style of camping but at the end it read like the cheese was sliding off of his enchalada a fair amount.

mussy

This thread started great, derailed, then came back from the dead to go down like the titanic....:yikes::yikes::yikes:

unkamonkey

Explorer
I don't think we will ever see Wanderer back. It seems like people on both sides were somewhat rude and not able to see the others point of view. Not to be sexist but I have known a few women like that.

Grabow

Adventurer
I don't think we will ever see Wanderer back. It seems like people on both sides were somewhat rude and not able to see the others point of view. Not to be sexist but I have known a few women like that.

The pretext "not to be sexist" doesn't nullify the sexist comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94