Tips for Stealth Overnight Parking and Building a Stealth Vehicle

gnarlycharlie

Sleeping platform.

I built a sleeping platform and used some extra banners I have laying around for privacy. It's incredibly comfortable and stealthy.

Attachments

• 178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpeg
    178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 228

Wainiha

Explorer
Interesting thread. My rent is cheap now but I still think about this lifestyle. It would be a lot more fun on the mainland of course.

Do you have any more pics of your setup inside the truck?

OttawaXJ

Observer
I'm not retired. I worked as a computer programmer for a lot of years and was sick of the life of living in a cube

Ironic that you sold your HOUSE to get away from spending 8 hours in a cubicle to now spend 24 hours a day in a cube VAN.

Perspective. lol

I think its awesome what you're doing btw. Live life as you see fit and never let anyone judge you for it.

backpackbirk

Great post. I met a guy in Africa living just like you. For longer trips (years) and lifestyle travelling it looks like stealth is the way to go. I have a Toyota Landcruiser as I need the car for daily work commute etc as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Wiley

Adventurer
How is this still in the in progress adventures section after nearly 6 months?? Damn my OCD!!

madmax718

Explorer
Well, he said at best he had a year.

I like wandering too, but I couldnt just wander and do window shopping. A lot of the better attractions all cost money.

I did see someone's blog once- they had a pickup with a slide in. the guy also did computers- but he did programming. There are actually jobs that you can do from anywhere in the world- given enough technology.

1. Computer programming- but you have to find a small sized company who lets you work remotely all the time. I know quite a few that their whole company is dispersed throughout the country. Just find high speed internet somewhere and your good to go.

2. Phone support/customer service- Some companies like jet blue offer "work at home" - use your computer and high speed internet and hook up.

3. Construction- You could technically be roving "Extra help"- but hard to find work in this economy, and with people who don't trust you.

4. Photographer- just try and sell your prints

5. Pipe welder- though you mostly need your own rig.

al415

Observer
I just read through this thread and his build(ish) thread. Barring a post apocalyptic survival strategy, I've grown to soft to follow his lead anytime soon but I find it thoroughly enjoyable to follow his adventures vicariously. I hope he checks in soon with an update.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
We've been fulltiming for 7 years - in conventional motorhomes and expedition trucks and vans - and we rarely use commercial campgrounds.

My experience is that it isn't the type of vehicle you have, but how much commonsense you use in choosing a location for "stealth Camping". Obviously we prefer camping spots out in the sticks in beautiful locations, but that isn't always possible so we camp in towns if necessary. Only twice been moved on - once from a fishing reserve in Montana (I think) and once from a 24/7 carpark in Morocco by three cops in the pay of the local caravan park.

The other technique that works is Day+Night camping. Scout out an out of the way place to spend the night, but spend the day parked in the best location in town - park, seaside whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne