Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Stealth Overnight Parking and Building a Stealth Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    Change your lifestyle or get a different truck.

Peace
    Drive a samurai ONCE, that was enough for now. or until something comes up.

The reason I whant to do this is there is nothing in the market being built out there,and I just whant something dependable,stealthy.dont really care to much about gas milage if you buy a new 19 ft motorhome or truck and camper the cost and milage will be just as bad, if you are worryed about gas milage buy a wesfailia or toyota chinook, i really whant an older tiger built in an astrovan platform but they are getting too popular and hard to find.

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    I mentioned this in another stealth camping thread here a while back...

Most towns have a commercial/industrial district. Usually near a freeway/highway exit. There is usually a place in there somewhere where you'll see a few semis parked for the night. I've never been rousted stealth camping in a commercial district where the trucks hang out.

And, it's usually pretty quiet after hours when the shops are closed. Every now and then I've parked near some shop that was running punch presses or some other noisy machines all night, so I just move down the block. The only noise is usually reefers on trucks (on and off every 15 minutes all night long), or the occasional truck with an APU (generator) running all night.

Not someplace you wanna hang out for a week, but it's a handy place to get some sleep and you can find it in almost every town.
    Current: 76 E-250, bubble-top, self-contained|couple of old Yamaha enduros
    Previous wheelers: 41 Willys|78 FJ40|78 Bronco|84 Bronco|74 Ramcharger|78 Ramcharger|79 D150 PowerWagon|77 D100|79 D400 dually, converted to 4WD, utility bed, 10' Lance|75 Westy|69 Scout, RHD|bunch of others|bunch of bikes|couple of boats|couple of motorhomes|blah blah|so what|not my idea|just doin' what I'm told|wank wank|this space for rent|candy is dandy|but liquor is quicker

Wanderer, Thanks for the post! I agree with you, I find it crazy, what some people pay at RV Parks. In 2 recent cross-country trips, I boon-docked most nights but stayed in RV Parks a few times, like at Circus-Circus on the strip. I have always thought that someone could make a nice business out of low-cost Parking, for the stealth vehicle traveler. It could be nothing more than safe places to park with restrooms. NO need for all the extras, pools, gift shops, etc.... found in the typical RV Park. Your recommendations are right on! One thing to keep in mind, any location that has a lot of motels or RV parks, will be more interested in keeping the boon-dockers away. The owners of these businesses are the ones that complain to the police about "boon-dockers" because it's bad for their businesses.
    www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com

My stealthcamper is a white ford van (which should be pretty invisible), but it's also got a high top roof, a couple of windowns in the back, and is 4wd, which makes it stand out a bit. I've thought about having a logo or some signs made up that I could put on the sides to make it look more like a nondescript commercial vehicle. For example, I've seen similar high-roof vans used as a mobile dog grooming service. So what's more stealthy: a plain white van, or a white van with a generic business logo on the side?

Quote Originally Posted by susswein View Post
    My stealthcamper is a white ford van (which should be pretty invisible), but it's also got a high top roof, a couple of windowns in the back, and is 4wd, which makes it stand out a bit. I've thought about having a logo or some signs made up that I could put on the sides to make it look more like a nondescript commercial vehicle. For example, I've seen similar high-roof vans used as a mobile dog grooming service. So what's more stealthy: a plain white van, or a white van with a generic business logo on the side?
    I have known people to get tickets if they have advertising on the side of a vehicle with out commercial type tags.

Last edited by dlh62c; 01-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.

I've thought of the fake decals as well. Maybe something ridiculous enough if you read into it, but at a glance it looks like any other business van. Ive seen plenty of personal vehicles with decals, I cant imagine it'd be a large problem. You'd have to come up with something obscure enough (Franks mobile remote control sail boat repair and counseling) so you aren't hassled by people needing things fixed. Maybe something not too exotic so others aren't tempted to break in to get fancy electronics or tools. (Steve's hat repair instead of Steve's sonar and copper company) I would imagine it'd be difficult to keep everything inside on a smaller vehicle. Any jerry can or artisan fire axe bolted to the exterior would be a give away.

I was thinking of something similar, something that would make the vehicle unattractive to potential thieves:

- George's Guard dog service
    - Steve's Septic
    - Kyle's killer bee extermination service
    - Matt's mobile pet crematory

I saw a former ambulance a few year's ago where the new owner had changed the "emergency rescue vevicle" logo to read "emotional rescue vehicle". I thought that was cute...

Default logo

adult diaper service

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast