Our 2006 Fleetwood Neon tent trailer.

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
My wife I I both have always loved to camp, off road, visit state and national parks and in general just get out and enjoy the outdoors.
We had our first son Boone in January of 2012 not long after we attempted our first family camping trip. Well to make a long story short it rained the entire weekend and despite having a high quality ground tent we still ended up soaked. It was then I realized I was going to have to make some changes to our camping set up.
I wanted something that would keep all of us dry, be able to haul or pull it with our jeep unlimited, be able to take it off the beaten path and ideally be able to stand up inside to take care of the baby and change clothes.
I wasn't looking for indoor plumbing or cooking so at first I looked at roof top tents but we really wanted a little more room to stand up and I also could see having the tent on top of the jeep causing issues so we decided against the RTT.
After looking at different pop ups I found the model I wanted. The Fleetwood neon. At less that 1k pounds, designed to be taken "off road", a queen size bed slide out, a small bench that folds down into another bed, plenty of room to stand and walk about...I knew it was perfect for our family of 3.
I got lucky and found a 06 on Craigslist that an older couple had bought with big plans but unfortunately spent its life in their garage it had only been used twice. It was only 4 hours away and with a price tag of what a used roof top tent cost I left the next day.

So far haven't done anything other than add a storage rack to the front deck.
I would like to add larger tires and wheels possible in the JK lug pattern but for now we are putting it to use!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508341.639309.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508369.566496.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508393.197252.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508435.367509.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508472.232767.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508512.733394.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508567.778014.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508599.436498.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508627.891369.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357508665.800266.jpg

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
Nice. That's just about the perfect size.

Sent & misspelled from my MB860 using predictive text & Tapatalk 2.

Vantage

Adventurer
Lucky guy. I love the Neon. They are next to impossible to find sadly, as they are on the top of my expo trailer list.

Congrats on purchase!

exploreFL

Observer
Nice trailer! My wife and I and our 2.5 year old son just got a camper as well! Glad to see you guys are out using just like us. Opens up a whole new aspect and comfortability of camping!

Frankspinz

Adventurer
Those are very cool. A friend of mine has offered me his Neon for market price. I'm seriously considering it.

What would be involved for putting bitgger tires on it ? I don't want to match lug pattern (yet) as I'll be pulling it with the Subaru as much as with the Xterra

Can this thing put up with hours of nasty dirt roads without falling appart ? (I know a regular trailer won't) ...

Happy camping !

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
Those are very cool. A friend of mine has offered me his Neon for market price. I'm seriously considering it.

What would be involved for putting bitgger tires on it ? I don't want to match lug pattern (yet) as I'll be pulling it with the Subaru as much as with the Xterra

Can this thing put up with hours of nasty dirt roads without falling appart ? (I know a regular trailer won't) ...

Happy camping !
I haven't looked into bigger tires yet but I think it would be pretty easy.
As far as build quality. It seems to be very well made. I've pulled it a few thousand miles some of which off road with no problems.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Larger tires and wheels would be a simple project
being that they are to the outside of the box. The current bolt patern should be 5 on 4.5?
so a set of adapters, bigger wheels and tires and raise the fenders.

Fill the original fender holes with automotive christmas tree fasteners.

You would gain ground clearance, give the bearings less rotation per mile and set the bar on the cool factor much higher!

These are pictures of member 4x4junky trailer.

Attachments

• IMG00022.jpg
    IMG00022.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DavesNeon.jpg
    DavesNeon.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG00021.jpg
    IMG00021.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 51

Forum statistics

Threads