Sven Saw folding saw appreciation thread

p nut

butter
I'm looking to pick one up from REI. Do you guys have the 21 or 15"? I'm thinking the bigger for leaving in the car and smaller for backpacking.

Joe917

Explorer
I've had mine 20 yrs. There are very few pieces of gear built this simple and durable.
If you are looking for a lightweight folding saw, look no more!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I'm looking to pick one up from REI. Do you guys have the 21 or 15"? I'm thinking the bigger for leaving in the car and smaller for backpacking.

I have never tried the smaller one, but most of the comments I have seen, even from backpackers, say get the bigger one.

jays0n

Adventurer
I have the bigger one and it seems to be that the smaller one would be too small to hold on to well, especially if you have bigger hands or are wearing gloves. The triangle is pretty small on the little one. Never leave home without mine, great, simple tool.

kmacafee

Adventurer
I have had one for years. On the bike trips I lead, we will sometimes have a contest to see who can assemble and disassemble it for the first time. Its especially humorous after a few beers.

notabiker

Personally I'd take a silky saw over a sven, much quicker to deploy. I use mine when I dirtbike or hike and pull it out for some quick trail maintenance. Silky is made in Japan and it's a pull saw so the blade is thin and flexible so you have to be careful on the push stroke or it might bend a little. It cuts two inch trees in probably two seconds or less, so for rapid deployability and rapid cutting a silky is THE way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94