Brand suggestions for Vintage steel frame

p nut

butter
Klierslc - Seems like what you're wanting is very specific, which means you need to broaden your search. I suggest searching on Craigslist via Google. I've had success finding things by typing in "site:craigslist.org 84 Raleigh" or whatever you're searching for. It is more risky, as the items will all be out of state. Plus, you incur the shipping fee. But it's at least a possible venue.

By the way, I am an old school Raleigh fan myself. I was searching for a 70's Professional, but they're hard to find. Especially in my 55-56cm size...

Klierslc

Explorer
I'll keep an eye out for something more along your specs. What size(range) do you want?

-Chris

60-64cm is my normal range, I rode a 59cm LeMond for a while but it always felt just a little too small. My current LeMond is a 61 and fits perfect but I have plenty of seat post showing. Thanks again!

Dan

Klierslc - Seems like what you're wanting is very specific, which means you need to broaden your search. I suggest searching on Craigslist via Google. I've had success finding things by typing in "site:craigslist.org 84 Raleigh" or whatever you're searching for. It is more risky, as the items will all be out of state. Plus, you incur the shipping fee. But it's at least a possible venue.

By the way, I am an old school Raleigh fan myself. I was searching for a 70's Professional, but they're hard to find. Especially in my 55-56cm size...

I have been keeping an eye out on the socal Craigslist sites to see if the wife can pick something up locally, but I probably won't start looking out of the area until I get back to the states. I am very happy with my LeMond, it just isn't compatible with touring as I have had a speed wobble issue that I suspect would get worse with extra weight. That and some of the guys I ride with are kinda slow and a heavier bike with less gears would give me a better workout without shelling them.

I would love to have a Professional but they are out of my price range.

Klierslc

Explorer
Thanks for the insight! Solid info on these bikes has been pretty slim (or blocked by gov computers) I'll definitely pass on this one. I have been keeping an eye out all over SoCal and have found 15 or so bikes that perfectly fit the bill--none in my size. No hurry though...

Thanks again!
Dan

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I picked up a Shogun prairie breaker ii...a couple years back when I was living up in Seattle...talk about CL bike heaven...
I have always been a fan of shoguns...it was my first road bike...had a 24" or 650 front wheel paired with a 700 rear...can't remember...I thought I was so cool

Klierslc

Explorer
Grrr....

Research shows it to be most likely not worth $300--straight gauge tubing, entry level group. I still like it though....

Klierslc

Explorer
Decided to pass on the Bottecchia. I did find a 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubilee well within my price range. Research shows it to have Japanese components with standard/modern sizes and threading. Vitus double butted tubing. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Klierslc

Explorer
Well, it isn't really a touring bike, but this is what I ended up with. It doesn't have the rack eyelet or the chromed chainstays, but the Columbus tubing and shimano 600 group made the decision easy... By all appearances it is an 1987 Benotto Modelo 2500--2nd bike down in their hierarchy.3F83M13H85L95Nc5K3d2e54f402290a0214ae.jpg3Lb3I53Na5I95F35Jad2e374366ad51821106.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles